BC Boards

Where to find an ABCA approved breeders directory?

Hi everyone!

This is my first post here and so far I've been reading hours of information from this site. I haven't purchased a collie yet and yes I'd like a puppy not a rescue. I've adopted several cats and dogs over the years but I want a puppy so my children can experience the joy of having every toy they leave on the floor chewed into oblivion j/k:)

Anyway, I've talked with about 10 breeders of which I found that at least two of them her suspended from the ABCA so I'm lucky that I didn't rush in and buy the first dog I found. I've already found a puppy I like but I'm not going to stop looking for the perfect one until I hand the money over. So, where can I get a list of breeders that are around my area, at least 160 miles? I'm just south of Tallahassee, FL/

Thanks

Rick

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It might help if you said what you wanted to do with your dog.

Do you want him to work livestock? Be a pet? Canine Good Citizen?

This might help people point you in the right direction. In the meantime, you might want to check out this sticky on the FAQ Forum.

It reads, in part,

The best place to get a border collie for livestock work is from a reputable breeder of working dogs--not someone who merely breeds "from working lines," but someone who trains and uses his/her dogs on stock, and is breeding to produce the utmost in herding ability. The best place to get a border collie for companionship or for dog sports is from the same kind of breeder, or (preferably, in most cases) from border collie rescue. Buying a pup from breeders who register with the AKC is bad for the breed. So is buying a pup from a pet shop, or from a breeder you know only through an internet website, and in such cases you run the risk of supporting a puppy mill and getting an unhealthy, temperamentally-unsound pup besides.

The following links may be of interest:

http://dd.bordercollies.tripod.com/index.html

http://www.stockdog.com/breeders/bc.htm#Florida

I would be remiss, however, if I did not recommend that you consider a rescue dog. You might be able to find a young dog that would fit in with your family. Remember a breeder can always find a home for a dog, but a rescue dog (like a child up for adoption) needs a home urgently, and needs your love. The following links might be of some assistance:

http://www.bcrsq.com

http://www.bcrescue.org

http://www.1-800-save-a-pet.com/adoption_rescue/70449.html

http://adopt-a-border-collie.1-800-save-a-pet.com

Eeeep! Ummm, MrLiquid, I would respectfully suggest looking elsewhere than the breeder link Bustopher just posted. I don't want to bad mouth anyone publically, but I wouldn't get a puppy from that breeder. And, just because a breeder registers their pups ABCA, it doesn't make them a good breeder.

Are you willing to take a rescue if it's a puppy? Dixie'sDad has a litter of border collie puppies that I believe he may be placing soon. He's somewhere in Georgia.

http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php?showtopic=14838

Eeeep! Ummm, MrLiquid, I would respectfully suggest looking elsewhere than the breeder link Bustopher just posted. I don't want to bad mouth anyone publically, but I wouldn't get a puppy from that breeder. And, just because a breeder registers their pups ABCA, it doesn't make them a good breeder.

Are you willing to take a rescue if it's a puppy? Dixie'sDad has a litter of border collie puppies that I believe he may be placing soon. He's somewhere in Georgia.

http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php?showtopic=14838

I'm in Fl and I agree with PSmitty! I don't know anyone here with pups that I woudl recommend.would

What are you going to do with the pup? Have you looked at the Working Border Collie magazine, the breeders directory? Does the pup have to be close for you? And what do you consider a "reputable breeder"? What are you looking for (aside from cute puppy destruction of toys!)

Karen

There's no such thing as an ABCA approved breeders list (I'm a director of the ABCA :rolleyes: )

My suggestion is to check the USBCHA.com website, look at upcoming trials, go to one, and talk to people running dogs there. Those crappy, puppy mill breeders and the slick internet puppy factories won't be represented there. Good luck!

Hi again!

Stupid me, I completely forgot to post what I'd be doing with the dog. My kids are so excited about having a dog that can play frisbee.

Oh and I have family in Moultrie, GA!

Here's what I'm thinking:

1. It will be a family dog

2. Trained for Disc and maybe just maybe she'll compete locally

3. She'll be an inside/outside dog

4. We have a lot of land and a lake for her to play!

5. Maybe one day breed her to increase our family and give/sell to my other family members here, they all have farms with cattle but this would be years before I'd even consider it.

Hi again!

Stupid me, I completely forgot to post what I'd be doing with the dog.

It will be my family dog but also hopefully with the right training a great disc dog. My kids are so excited about having a dog that can play frisbee. She will also be an inside/outside.

Next weekend, Oct 6th is also the Red Creek Trial in SC http://www.redcreekfarm.com/

Karen

The trial in Moultrie is awesome! There's lots of fun stuff going on at the same time, make it a family outing! And you'll get a chance to see some terrific dogs from all over the Southeast.

I'm going to pop you a note via PM (check "New Messages" if you don't have it set to alert you) and give you a local contact to start out with to explore BOTH rescue and reputable breeders in the area. I just have to clear it with her first, lol.

Good luck!

Hi again!

Stupid me, I completely forgot to post what I'd be doing with the dog. My kids are so excited about having a dog that can play frisbee.

I hope your kids are also patient. If you are planning on getting a puppy, you'll have to wait at least a year before s/he will be able to play frisbee.

5. Maybe one day breed her to increase our family and give/sell to my other family members here, they all have farms with cattle but this would be years before I'd even consider it.

You say that you've spent hours reading this site, but I find that hard to believe if you just posted this. :rolleyes:

http://dd.bordercollies.tripod.com/index.html :rolleyes::D:D:D

I helped rescue a BC from her who was in terrible condition... half her body weight, 4 types of intestinal parasites, ticks, fleas, coat in shambles and an untreated dislocated shoulder. And to top it all off she had started trying to breed that dog when she was 10 months old. She didn't take, probably because her body could not support a pregnancy.

Moultrie is a lot of fun, but it's also a haven for "parking lot sale" Border Collie pups. I strongly suggest you not buy from anyone who tries to sell you a pup on site, or anyone who hawks their pups like a deal at a car sale around the grandstand or trial. It will be a quick fix that you will likely repent at your leisure.

I used to be listed on the breeder list at Stockdog forum listed...not sure where that went, haven't looked since I tend not to have very many pups. There are some good breeders on that and some downright *awful* ones. Hmmmm, I see a lot fo awful in the region you ask about. Buyer beware.

Absolutely NOT a good idea, and I have to agree with what MaryP said. Meanwhile, you will "enjoy" twice-yearly heat cycles of (normally) about three weeks each, the possibility of an unplanned or unwise pregnancy (along with dealing with homing pups), increased chance of mammary tumors over the bitch's lifetime (greater chance in animals not spayed or in animals spayed later in life), possibility of pyometra (uterine infection) in an unspayed bitch, moodiness and variability in temperament that can occur in cycling bitches (and false pregnancies and other joys, like male dogs camped out on your doorstep), and the other joys of maintaining an unspayed female.

And, when all is said and done, responsible breeding is done for the right reasons - to perpetuate and improve the breed by suitable matings of qualified, proven dogs and bitches - not to witness the "miracle of life" (with the accompanying "miracle of death" that's enacted in shelters nationwide when there aren't enough responsible homes for all the pups/dogs already on the ground); not because someone has "plenty of room for them to run" (I got this one from a spectator at the Finals this last week); not because "Border Collies fascinate me" (same spectator); not because they fetch or play frisbee and it's such fun (same spectator); not because "I love puppies" or "my children just love puppies" (see just how long they stay puppies and how long folks/children enjoy the responsibilities of cleaning up, training, etc.); and not because "all my friends/family want a puppy from Misty" because Misty's such a great dog (and we've all heard that one before).

Having a farm, having livestock, having family to "give/sell" puppies to, wanting to "increase your family" just are not reasons to breed. If someone wants a working stockdog for a farm situation, do them a favor and suggest they find a responsible breeder (going to trials or stockdog clinics can be very helpful in locating the right people and beginning to educate yourself about stockdogs) and someone who will mentor them, and help them find a well-bred dog/pup (and a started/trained dog is a much better proposition for a person new to stockdogs).

Remember, it isn't simple. Just because someone raises "working-bred" dogs/pups and trials does not make them a good choice to purchasing a dog/pup or being a mentor. One judge at the Finals this week was horrified by a competitor/breeder who sold littermate pups to a young woman with little to no experience with Border Collies, one a runt and in very poor condition, and at a ridiculous price. Put in the time to find out what you need to know and make a responsible decision.

Meanwhile, if what you want is a pet, please consider rescue. Pups are often available there but, maybe much more sensible might be an adult or young adult dog, who has been fostered and evaluated, who can be a very suitable choice for your family (versus a pup, where you don't really know what you are getting until you've had it some time). And, don't even think about breeding at this stage. You won't be doing anyone or the dogs a favor by doing that.

I'm not trying to be critical or hard on you. I'm trying to be honest and helpful.

It's cool that you'd want to help out family/friends with livestock. They probably need to talk to breeders who also have livestock, however. :rolleyes: As someone who got a pup and struggled not knowing what to do next, I wish I had gotten my first pup who had sheep too, and could have helped me get started when the time came. Border Collies are not very easy breeders and you probably don't want to go through the pain and suffering and expense involved - not when there's plenty of terrific people in your area that can help your friends with livestock out immediately, not years down the road (Red Creek is one of them).

How about a rescue that already knows how to play frisbee? Or, at the very least, is already old enough to start playing frisbee right away! Of course, those rescue pups are very tempting - what cuties! But cute puppies have a year or more before they can do stuff, and meanwhile their little brains are smart enough to dream up trouble. That's the catch 22 of Border Collie puppies.

That's why I usually recommend an older rescue to a first time Border Collie owner. The rescue will back you up if wacky stuff happens, and the dog is ready for whatever you want to do. You live in a SUPER area for flyball, agility, and herding. And tracking and I think there's even oddball stuff like dock diving and weight pull, UKC, down there.

:D MaryP, there's always one negitive person in the forums and you're it, thanks for implying I'm a liar.

ANYWAY, I've been trying to get approved to our this forum for almost two weeks now. The admin was out of town and so I make it clear, I'm a true READ everything freak, if it has print on it I'll read it. I have a library in my house with over 3000 books and I've read them all. My job calls for me to be that way and researching whatever I set my eyes on is my hobby :rolleyes: thanks

I hate to think of you breeding before you even purchase a pup. What if the dog isn't right for breeding. If you have read the boards you have seen countless numbers of border collies in rescue homes. Think of the expense also. You have to wait until the female and male are 2 years old to have their hips x-rayed and certified and their eyes tested and you will also want to make sure that they are good sound workers. Don't forget that someone will be breeding maybe on accident the pups of pups of pups of these dogs and that's how we get so many in shelters.

Well after reading the post I don't want to take any chance of my new bestfriend having health issues so I'll have the dog fixed at the correct time and if I decide to get more I'll just buy them or get a rescue.

I'll check out the Moultrie, GA scene and absolutely stay away from sellers there. Like with anything buying on a whim is a bad idea.

thanks

Rick

Rick,

Instead of singling out Mary for her comments and accusing her of calling you a liar, maybe you should stop and think about the spirit in which her comments were made. The culture of this board is very much against breeding for anything but working ability, and it's reasonable to believe that anyone who says they've done *a lot* of reading here would have picked up on that. The fact that you've done so much reading and yet still posted a comment about wanting to breed your pet dog sometime down the road is certainly a pretty fair indicator that while you may have read a lot, you apparently didn't read a lot about the breeding philosophy espoused here.

If you do find a pup, two things you need to consider (both of which have already been mentioned but bear repeating):

1. Your pup won't be able to play frisbee or any other high-impact sports until it's *at least* a year old, and preferably older. If you ignore this, you can end up with a crippled dog who requires expensive surgery to make sound again.

2. Even if your pup is from a working breeder, producing pups from her won't mean that the pups will work (since you have no way/plans to prove her abilities on stock), so neighbors and family with cattle might not actually thank you for producing pups that [a] they either expect to work the cattle, but won't or have some prey/herding drive/instinct and so end up chasing and harrassing the livestock. If your family and neighbors need good working dogs to manage their cattle, they would be better off buying dogs from someone who actually uses their dogs on cattle. A pet that plays frisbee is not a good candidate from which to breed working dogs.

J.

getting a pup is a certain for me. Training the dog for disc is not something I'd even consider until 8 months of age and that would be ground play only. Anything before 18 months I believe would damage the legs and hips because of the continuious jumping. Yes I've done the research, as for breeding, No I will not be breeding my dog. I've received several PM's explaining the cons with no pros included. That is enough for me to make that call of no breeding.

As for MaryP, saying that it's hard to believe anything someone says without express knowledge of said persons state-of-mind or if they're honest is assuming and we all know what assuming will get you. Now, I'm not mad or dislike MaryP, though she probably doesn't care for me to much, I mean we are all adults here, and if she needed help, I'd offer my assistance just like I'd do for anyone else in the world, excluding Bill O'Riley *giggle*.

Can we please keep this civil? I think the O/P is getting the idea. As for breeding, I will say, many folks on these very boards do breed- and they make those decisions based on criteria that they set. No one has ever questioned their ability to discern a breed-worthy animal. I agree that breeding seems like "no big deal" to many dog folks, until they are truly immersed in what it takes, but I wish that before everyone jumped on the don't breed bandwagon, that they remember that some of their peers, and maybe they themselves, do.