BC Boards

First foster dog, Riley!

I got my first foster dog on Saturday and the trend continues on this board of timid border collies. This poor guy was abandoned in a house in Texas and has trust issues. He is not a fan of his feet being touched at all. We are slowly working on it and now he is starting to give paw. The funny part is he likes giving me his back right paw the most. He does get a tad snippy at times when he is touched in an uncomfortable place but he is super sweet. We're thinking he's part pitbull because he has a large head. Today, he started a nasty coughing fit at 1am. Took him to the vet and it looks like kennel cough. Hopefully it passes sooner rather than later. He's great with my two goofballs. We have a housewarming party this Saturday and if he gets uncomfortable, we have a quiet room set up for him. I'm hoping we can find him a home with just 1 or 2 people. Kids probably won't be the best idea.

That's all for now!

I passed on a really timid rescue. She couldn't handle being looked at even. She hadn't been mistreated as far as we know. The kennels put it down to her coming from a 'remote' farm though I'm not sure that anywhere here in the UK qualifies as that remote. I suspect that a large part of it was down to her natural nature. It was something I felt I couldn't take on at the time and in the end I went for a big bold friendly guy. Fair play to anyone who takes on and works with the timid ones to give them a better life.

He has really come out of his shell. It will be a week tomorrow that we've had him. He has one potential adopter who is also looking at 2 other dogs. However, he developed kennel cough Sunday. Then my 2 got it Wednesday. It's been stressful. We have a house warming party tomorrow, so having a bunch of people and 3 coughing dogs will be wonderful. We did make everyone aware so we don't constantly hear, "uh Laura! You're dog sounds like it's trying to hack up!" But, it will be nice to see how he does with everyone. He's such a great guy and I can't wait for him to be able to make a family really happy.

He stays with me until he has a home. The housewarming went very good! He's great with everyone. We had an applicant with 2 cats so I got him cat tested today and it went horribly. He went full on stalk mode. We do have another applicant interested. However, I had to take my other BC to the vet today because he isn't getting over the cough like the other two are. My golden barely coughs and the foster has a cough once every few hours. Pete my BC is constantly coughing. So it's been stressful. I hope he kicks this sooner than later. Poor thing can't even sleep.

Kudos to you, Laura, for fostering!

Sorry that cats and kids will limit Riley's possibilities for a suitable home, but it's good to know these things sooner rather than later. I'm sure you'll eventually find the perfect placement for him. Until then, enjoy the ride.

So sorry to hear about the kennel cough. Hope Pet recovers soon.

Kudos to you, Laura, for fostering!

Sorry that cats and kids will limit Riley's possibilities for a suitable home, but it's good to know these things sooner rather than later. I'm sure you'll eventually find the perfect placement for him. Until then, enjoy the ride.

So sorry to hear about the kennel cough. Hope Pet recovers soon.

He's great with kids, just no cats. I'm waiting for one potential adopter to email me to schedule a time for her to meet Riley. Hopefully it works out!

Sorry, I must've misunderstood your original comment that kids probably wouldn't be the best idea.

I forgot I even said that before!!! He's changed so much that I forgot that I originally thought kids wouldn't work out. My bad!!! He's would be great for anyone.

I forgot I even said that before!!! He's changed so much that I forgot that I originally thought kids wouldn't work out. My bad!!! He's would be great for anyone.

One of the neat things about logging on the Discussion Board. Amazing how quickly we and our four legged friends learn and change! :D So happy to hear that things are going well with Riley and your first experience fostering. How's Pete's cough, today?

One of the neat things about logging on the Discussion Board. Amazing how quickly we and our four legged friends learn and change! :D So happy to hear that things are going well with Riley and your first experience fostering. How's Pete's cough, today?

He is such a different dog since we brought him to our home! He went from being afraid of everything to gaining confidence and wanting attention.

Today is the first morning we woke up without cough phlem all over the floor so it's a great start! Him and Zoey the golden who have kept us awake for days with the coughing had an excellent night and Zoey woke us up only once. So here's hopefully the start of recovery!

He was so darn easy to foster...besides everyone getting sick. We feel like we got lucky with him being the first foster. He was definitely the most timid dog I've taken care of so he taught me more patience. The family who adopted him is wonderful​ and keeps me updated with texts and pictures. We are also friends on Facebook. Do I think we'll foster again? Most likely. We will wait until after Easter to do it again. Also wanted to give my two dogs some extra TLC.