BC Boards

Believe it or not

Believe it or not, but it was fairly uncommon even as the late 1970s to see women working sheepdogs in the public arena.

post-10067-0-23963500-1491233946_thumb.jpg

post-10067-0-12326100-1491237854_thumb.jpg

There were other women such as Ethyl Conrad that were very influential, but for the most part sheepdog handling and trialing was considered a primarily man's sport.

Thanks for posting this, Jeanne Joy. I am always surprised to learn how much women born since the late 60s don't realize the degree to which things have changed for the better for women. They think women have always participated in the activities and professions where we've made such recent inroads (not only in acceptance but in getting literal permission). They are amazed to learn that girls were not permitted to play in Little League or wear pants to school (only skirts), or that I was personally and specifically not permitted to take shop class in high school because of being a girl, and was the first girl there ever to be allowed to take physics. I think it's good to remember where we've come from and who made the first big steps that changed things for us all. I sure don't know the women who helped make it possible for women to trial and I'm very happy to have this information. I loved the blog post about Viv Billingham Parks you shared. Thank you!

• 1 month later...

when i was young a woman could not compete on a stallion. i remember asking my old pop about this- his reply- hum, odd...dunno why, must be a rule for those guys, not us and ours.'

thxs Jeane