BC Boards

Changes in nose color

SamS

I was reading about nose pigmentation in various breeds and found this website: http://www.ashgi.org/color/Aussie_noses.html about color change of noses over time (bottom of page). My question is how does this work?

I thought that if a dog is born with a certain color nose it should stay that way, but I understand this is quite common in merles and also occurs often in other colored dogs. I am very confused :blink: Could someone please explain how this works to me?

I am taking an educated guess based on embryology that the stem cells that form pigment just hadn't quite reached the nose yet by the time the pup was born. This is a guess though. I bet you could find the info somewhere if you searched for stem cells and pigment.

I think every Border Collie I have owned was born with a pink nose and eyelids. A few have taken months to years to for all their pigment to fill in.

Thanks for the tip Liz :)

I read on Yahoo Answers (not the best source, but one of the few I could find on the topic) that noses fill in when the pigment cells reproduce. That makes sense, but what about when spots of pigment randomly appear in non-pigmented places?

I looked it up, and it seems that there can be a second migration (after birth) resulting in the formation of spots/ticking.

Interesting! Someone was just asking me last night how that happens when I mentioned our split-faced/piebald BC pup's white ear hadn't developed the black spots he has on it now until just recently (he's 5mo). With him it may still be the first switch over, I suppose, since his nose still has pink spots as well. But still, very interesting.