BC Boards

Bicycling with a dog

I read the thread in which someone asked about using the 'Springer' attachment for bicycling with a dog. Has anyone used the Walkydog as well? (it's a rod enclosing a spring, also sticking out from the seat post, to which a dog is attached, but I think you supply your own harness). Maestro is just over 13 months old (full BC) - is that too young to start biking with him?

In one of those threads, there was a discussion about being able to release the dog quickly if necessary (and hence advice not to use any attachment). Hmm - if a dog comes rushing at us, with or without an attachment, what's the best response?

And lastly, Maestro just recently became leash aggressive. I can start a whole other thread on that...but do you think I should hold off on biking with him until we're over that issue?

Hi there-

I am new to this site- I am hoping to learn about Border Collies here.

But...I have a Black Lab/GSP mix. Tucker is 1 1/2 years old and he goes biking- he began at about 10 1/2 months. He does not go biking with any attachments- he is a mountain biking dog. He is really fast and smart- he stays out of the way and always rides to the right of the bike on the side of the path or dirt road. (We only ride where there aren't any cars)

I know that BC's are really smart- so I'm guessing Maestro would probably be ready for biking. Tucker just adores it and gets really upset when the road bike is taken off the rack because he can't go.

I have no ideas about using a harness while biking...but I have heard of Border Collies having a little difficulty w/ biking because of their need to herd- they try to nip the tires of the bike.

What do you mean by "leash aggressive?"

Best,

Cole

I mtn. bike with "Scout" with no problems.

No attachments at all. He runs along with me and ocassionally ventures off a bit (20 - 30 yards or so) and I just say(in a firm voice) "Scout, stay with me." and he stays close. If he/she will heel when you're walking, jogging or the like, you should have no trouble biking.

I would wait until 18 months anyway before biking. Growth plates should close by then. Leash aggression is another whole issue. I don't have too much experience with that, my old dog has a bit of it but I just trained him and keep him off leash and that solved my problem for the most part. Perhaps someone with leash aggression experience will pipe up.

Caroline

Hi, Cole -

You asked about 'leash aggression': Very recently, Maestro shows an aggressive attitude towards other dogs, only when he is on leash. He is not aggressive towards people, and he is not dog aggressive when off-leash.

Prior to 4 weeks ago, I could rely on Maestro 'saying hello nice' towards other dogs when he was on leash (and preferably the other dog, too) - meaning sniff the nose, the cheek, the back end, and we move on.

After a bad experience at a training class, he now lunges / acts aggressively towards other dogs. I'm trying to work him out of that - diverting his attention before he explodes, and I'm also clicking/treating him for looking at another dog but not reacting. I'm hoping that I'm catching this behavior before it comes too ingrained, and can get my sweet dog back.

Back to my question about bicycling - I don't have a mountain bike or really any off-road biking locations available. I'm looking mainly at biking along quiet streets and bike paths - with the intention of biking close enough to grass that Maestro can run on grass while I'm on pavement.

Ok, now I see why you would need a harness for biking with Maestro. I hope someone who has used one will be able to let you know how they are...I am wondering if being hooked up to a harness while biking might make him feel confined such as when he is at the end of a leash. I'm assuming that is why you inquired about holding off on the biking. Maybe you could take him out for a trial run to see if his has any bad associations...

I'll keep checking in because I am really curious about this Walkydog thing. Tucker goes bonkers if a road bike is taken from the rack and he finds out that he cannot go along with.

Take care!

Cole