BC Boards

Away To Me

frisbeegirl

Away to me was delivered this afternoon in my mailbox. Which unfortunately is 3/4 of mile from my house.

Keeva and I walked as we have received another 3inches of snow and more is coming.

Hot chocalate is on. She is drying off. Great day for a movie. :D

Hello frisbeegirl,

My copy arrived yesterday, and I watched it last evening. The movie is well worth watching (and watching again!), and I really liked the insightful comments of the handlers featured in the film. Enjoy!!!

Regards,

nancy

Aargh! I am waiting for mine. I don't think my husband ordered it until last Saturday because he was confused. He thought the website said that the movie was not ready to be ordered. When I showed him the page and actually got him to slow down his reading (he tends to skim and skip over information), he saw that it could be ordered. It just wouldn't arrive until after Christmas.

Patience,

Jovi

My husband ordered a copy for me before Christmas (pretty much as soon as they were available?), but we only got notification yesterday that it had shipped. It's possible that demand exceeded initial stock, or that getting orders mailed took some time. Not to worry, I know I'll enjoy my copy as soon as it arrives!

Partial Quote from Movie(facebook)

"First, you get a dog. Then, you get a couple of acres and a few sheep. Then, you find yourself living on a big farm."

Wow, how one little 8 week old pup post-13260-032937000 1356826574_thumb.jpghas changed my life forever.

Well Done Andrew and Andrew ! :)

Got mine as well and watched it right away. I thought it was really great, however I was hoping it would explain things a bit more. I don't know a whole lot about herding, so I was hoping it would explain things a bit more. But I thought it was pretty good. I especially liked the three different perspectives for the winning run. It was interesting the very subtle things that the judge pointed out that I just didn't notice. It made me think about when I first started agility and how I couldn't see what the handlers were doing. Having more experience now, I much more enjoy watching handlers run. Perhaps in the future I'll appreciate this documentary more.

Hi Willy,

Perhaps this link will provide you with a little more information about the actual course or "trialing":

http://sheepdogfinals.org/wordpress1/about-sheepdog-trials/the-courses/

I think the documentary was more highlighting the relationships between the handlers and their dogs than the actual mechanics of the trial course.

I think the documentary was more highlighting the relationships between the handlers and their dogs than the actual mechanics of the trial course.

Thanks for that link. Yeah, I completely agree about the intent of the film- and they did a great job at it! Just wasn't exactly what I was expecting. I thought it rocked that the Canadian lady was so adamant about living with her dogs. That was pretty cool. I thought it was quite good anyway, though for me personally (not being so much into herding at this point) I doubt it will have much replay value. I also bought a copy for my agility instructor as a christmas gift (she also teaches herding) and I think she liked it a lot. Definitely a neat movie that I'll happily put in my collection.

Wildo,

Maybe once you do any sheep herding you may change your mind on the replay.

Believe me Keeva and I are as green as it gets but the qualifing runs were awesome as a learning tool. (not that we could ever aspire to that level) but who knows.

Only time will tell.

Wow. Great video. Maybe I can show this to my non-sheep-dog-interested friends so they will understand what I'm talking about when I rhapsodize about the working Border Collie, and not fall asleep when I show them a trial-run video.

The bonus material on the DVD alone was totally worth the price of admission (though I *LOVED* the main documentary). Watch the judge's comments on the winning run. And then watch Amanda Milliken (the BC Boards own "Ask an Expert") training puppies at three different levels.

I only wish I'd had more of my brain in my head when watching the bonus materials; I'd just suffered from a close encounter with an Evil Vegetable Peeler (I have a bad habit of fainting when I see my own blood; I watched the bonus materials in hopes of diverting my attention from this particular endeavor).

I'm sure I'll watch, and re-watch, this film - as well as the bonus materials

It was also pretty fun to note how many individuals who were listed on the credits that I'd actually met - or at least watched their runs. And I'm a total rank not-even-novice handler!

Best Xmas present in years!!!!

The bonus material on the DVD alone was totally worth the price of admission (though I *LOVED* the main documentary). Watch the judge's comments on the winning run. And then watch Amanda Milliken (the BC Boards own "Ask an Expert") training puppies at three different levels.

Well thank you, my sister and I did our best as background crowd in the puppy training extra :P

I laughed pretty hard after unexpectedly seeing myself in that bonus feature (filmed at the 2011 Kingston SDT).

My copy arrived while I was away in India, so I went eagerly to collect the held mail this morning. The USPS guy apologized for not delivering the mail (I actually requested to collect it myself), but there was no DVD. Turns out it was in my mailbox back home, so our USPS may be confused but they get the mail delivered somehow.

Definitely money well spent; the best Xmas present I've gifted myself ever. It was sad that it didn't come in time for me to take it to show our grand-daughter and our brand new SIL (who is an EP of Bollywood movies).

Great film! Storytelling, bonus features and camera work are all top notch. Took me right back to watching the sheepdog trials in Metchosin as a kid. Something about that whistle noise and a thoroughly grazed field. DVD made it to Canada in a week with no extra duty straight from the studio's site. At the end, where it says something to the effect of "Border collies require lots of physical and mental stimulation and may not be suitable as family pets," I looked down at Ness and asked her, "Are you not a suitable family pet? well crap!" Needless to say she went back to sleeping on my feet as usual.

-Rich

At the end, where it says something to the effect of "Border collies require lots of physical and mental stimulation and may not be suitable as family pets,"

The exact wording at the end is:

"Border Collies require an exceptional amount of mental

stimulation and physical exercise, and for many people

can be inappropriate as household pets."

A reasonable enough warning to people who might watch the film and feel the desire to rush out and get one of those amazing dogs.

We loved the DVD. Not only was it entertaining, it was educational. While watching the documentary DH kept asking questions. When we finishing watching that part, he asked me what part I wanted to watch next so I told him the judge’s comments. That part answered DH’s questions. We also enjoyed the handler’s comments and Amanda’s puppy training segments too.

I do have a question though. Is there going to be another one in the future at some point?

• 3 weeks later...

I have watched this video a number of times now. I think someone here said sheepdog trials were the hardest thing he has ever done. The top handlers may make it look easy on the surface, but watching more closely, to me it looks hard. I am more in awe of these dogs now than I ever was. Love this video and the work that these dedicated handlers do.

• 2 weeks later...

I just yesterday got Away to Me in the mail, I wasn't in the position to buy it for a while, and then kept on forgetting to order it (the horror!). I watched it with my sister yesterday, she has never seen a sheepdog trial. Her comments were 'Oh my god, it's like there's a magnet between the dog & sheep. LOOK AT THAT, LOOK!' and 'So this is what you saw when you went to a trial?? I have to go to the next one!'. Eventually the novelty did wear off and she fell asleep near the end, but I digress. I loved it, I enjoyed it thoroughly and when I find some more time I'll watch the bonus material.

I do wish they had explained what was going on a little more for people that were not familiar with trials. I was fine of course, but my sisters (the 9 yr old was briefly there, but lost interest) were asking me what stuff meant/how the scoring worked/what was happening. :)

• 1 month later...

We got Away To Me through BowWowFlix last week and even as non-herding, non-border collie folks, we loved it!

The funniest thing was our Malinois. First he was obessed with the whistles and would wake up and get super alert.

Then Amanda and her dogs came on the screen. He got up and stood right in front of the TV and did ears high up and lots of ear movement and leaning forward.

We decided that he has a crush on Roz!