BC Boards

Agility at Westminster

That is interesting. I wonder if there was any objection to allowing the mixes there, or if AKC people are pretty much getting used to the idea.

I know years ago, if there was any kind of demonstration in conjunction with an AKC conformation show, mixed breeds could not participate (even if the demo was not an AKC sanctioned sport!), nor even be on the grounds!!

Whatever else one could say about AKC, I am glad to see that attitude starting to ebb away.

It seems that the agility isn't happening at the same time as the breed showing? It refers to the main event 2 days later. So the breed aficionados still won't be offended by the sight of dogs actually doing something fun.

At Crufts the poor breed folk can't avoid noticing the crowds of people passing by with hardly a glance at their exhibits as they hurry to get a place in the Arena where things worth watching are happening.

I like the comment posted predicting that agility will become more popular! :lol:

As for people with no knowledge of the sport - every year at Crufts we have to put up with the ignorant commentary of Peter Purves who has been doing it since agility was invented and resolutely refuses to learn much about it at all. It's only recently that he's been persuaded not to call the Dog Walk the Cat Walk.

Fortunately he is not heard much live in the Arena as he's mainly for broadcast purposes in the afternoons and evenings, and he has been given a knowledgeable and tactful minder to stop him making too much of a fool of himself.

Thanks for the link.

I actually think that having the agility on the weekend before Westminster is pretty good since it does happen on a weekend - when people are off work and can come by and watch.

I used to live in that area and remember reading that the last few days before Westminster is also a time of more breed shows in the same area (some of which are specialties) to take advantage of the large # of dogs coming in for Westminster.

LOL. Funny about the audience at Crufts passing by the breed show to see agility - the activity that is worth watching. [i can see the slogan now: Agility - It's worth watching!] Last time I tried to watch border collies in the breed ring, I had to leave since I decided I wasn't interested in which heavy-boned, short-legged fluffball won the class.

I have a friend who got in (won one of the positions by lottery) and entered. I hope that I get a chance to speak to her after she competes. (I don't see her very often, and it is usually at an agility trial where we are all so busy.)

The Rescue Dog Agility at Crufts is a demo by some rescue charities to show what rescue dogs are capable of. Most of the dogs have had very little agility training and are just there for the fun.

But the public like it, I suspect more than they do a succession of mostly collies doing it well in the real competitions. Most of the spectators are not agility people and they just like to see dogs doing stuff - then they can go to the dog activities area and enquire about how to have a go at it themselves (or the other sports).

Rescue dogs get a good platform at Crufts generally. If a dog that is competing or in a demo is a rescue there is a very good chance that the audience will be told, along with the fact that any dog can take part whatever it is and whatever its history.

LOL. Funny about the audience at Crufts passing by the breed show to see agility - the activity that is worth watching. [i can see the slogan now: Agility - It's worth watching!] Last time I tried to watch border collies in the breed ring, I had to leave since I decided I wasn't interested in which heavy-boned, short-legged fluffball won the class.

HAHAHA!! I love it!! I want it as an unofficial "official" slogan:

Agility - It's worth watching!

HA!!

• 3 weeks later...