BC Boards

Finding the perfect BC... Western PA

Hi everyone,

First time poster here. Couple issues going on... trying to find the right Border Collie and integrating the new member of the family. My wife and I have a 3 year old Morkie and a 4 year old German Shepherd. We're not in any rush to do this, but after lots of interaction with a friends Border/Lab mix and seeing how amazing some of these dogs are while taking my dog to obedience I can't help but lean towards a Border Collie. Now, finding the right dog... maybe better put, right BC source.

My question to you good people--suggestions? What breeders do you know of that are honest and looking to improve the breed? I've researched several (more like countless) but there always seem to be several red flags. And I'm also looking into rescue.

Some breeders I've been looking at: Ammardan Border Collies

Stamper Border Collies, Jagger Williams, Off-On, J-Tail Border Collies, and Thompson Border Collies. There are several others and I think one of the above mentioned might be out of my area. All that being said, does anyone know of any other reputable breeders, and/or anything of the above mentioned breeders? It seems to me only Jagger Williams and Thompson are using working dogs in their breeding program, and as so many say, only buy from a breeder that breeds from working stock... many of the other breeders I mentioned claim to participate in agility and flyball, but no serious claims to herding. Now, I do not live on a farm, and also will not be herding (that I know of), but I should try to stick to a breeder that works their dogs?

As you can see, I'm just starting this search, am willing to travel to find my next pup, and want to narrow my field down before I take the next step...

Looks like you have been searching the internet. Not a good way to find a dog since many of the worst breeders have slick web pages. I only see one on your list I would recommend (Dick and Cheryl). You are better off attending trials and asking around there. Many Border Collie pups are sold via word of mouth.

At the risk of sounding rude... Don't bother looking at show bred dogs if you want a real Border Collie. They are not even the same breed.

Jagger-Williams is the only one I could honestly recommend out of that list. Most are show or sport bred, or producing primarily for that market. Read the"read this first" to understand the philosophy of the majority of people on these boards.

And welcome!

Thanks for responding so quickly. I will definitely be attending trials. I really like what I've read from Jagger Williams, but yes, I've only had a chance thus far to search via the internet. I would love to hear of more if anyone has any suggestions.

I def value your opinions. I've been following these forums for a while now and decided to sign up this weekend. I had a bad feeling about most of the breeders I mentioned, was just looking for confirmation on those assumptions. I've read and re-read the "read this first" blurb and couldn't agree more. It is a shame that people are out there not breeding to better the breed but looking to attract buyers, make profit, and in a word "dilute" what makes the border so unique and wonderful.

Maybe this should be in another post, and possibly has already been answered on other posts, but I was wondering what some of you folks are doing with your BC's? Working on farms? Agility, etc?

Oko, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Companion, pet, hiking/jogging buddy, and I would like to get into agility, obedience, and whatever would suit us best.

Since you're considering rescue, check out Glen Highland Farm, as well. http://glenhighlandfarm.com/ghf_home.htm Covers, PA, though in upstate NY.

And Buckeye Border Collie Rescue in OH. http://buckeyebcrescue.org/

Oh no, .....I looked at Fly (Buckeye) I have a huge stomachache now. GentleLake, do you know anything about her? my rescue "Sid" is her double...

Oh no, .....I looked at Fly (Buckeye) I have a huge stomachache now. GentleLake, do you know anything about her? my rescue "Sid" is her double...

Glad I'm in a different country or I'd be enquiring after Dan right now.

you might take a look at these 2 dogs, or at least their sites: blue ridge border collie rescue and mid-atlantic border collie rescue. i'm always looking ;-) and these caught my eye. i'm not too far from you in morgantown, wv. nova, my avatar, is from carolina border collie rescue-there are some terrific dogs waiting in rescue!

http://www.brbcr.org/adopt-a-dog/view-adoptable-dogs/172-jay.html

http://www.mabcr.org/pet_details.html?id=28949339

Yeah, Dan looks awesome. Abby would be at the top of my list too.

Good luck in your search for a BC.

darn, i looked too! those would be my picks too!

Sorry, I have no personal experience with Buckeye other than referring people to them.

Nathan, I do therapy work with my PB rescue border collie. We visit nursing homes, shut ins, a university and do reading programs in libraries and elementary schools. Bodhi's social calendar is much fuller than mine. B)

I know you said you'd like a pup, but I would like to recommend Jay (from above, at Blue Ridge Border Collie Rescue):

http://www.brbcr.org...gs/172-jay.html

I brought him down to NC from his original owner (via a friend of mine from MD who transported him the the National Finals). He lacked socialization, but got along great with my dogs (until my older male decided Jay needed to GO) and cats.

Jay is a sweet dog--very athletic (I once watched him run up the steep ramp to my deck, and at the top easily jump the three dogs standing there) and willing to please. He's still quite young and has a lot of potential. He's at a good age to start any activity. He showed some talent for livestock work in the couple of times I had him on sheep, but I think he would make a good agility dog, jogging partner, active companion.

He's young and he's gorgeous, and he needs a good, loving home!

For everyone else, please put the word out about him. If Pip hadn't taken a serious dislike to him, I'd probably still be working with him, but camper living doesn't lend itself to disharmony in the pack.

J.

I would second any recommends for Blue Ridge BCR and Mid-Atlantic BCR. Rescues do get in dogs of all ages, including pups. Pups are often spoken for before they get to rescue so if a pup from rescue is a possibility for you, you probably need to get your forms filled out and be approved in advance.

A good breeder is a great source but so is a responsible rescue, and you are also providing a good life for a dog that likely had a rough start in life but who has potential to be your best friend, active companion, performance dog, or even stockdog (if he/she is inclined that way).

Best wishes!

PS - If I didn't have three already (I know, compared to Julie, that's not even a drop in the bucket) and need my dogs for working stock, I'd be right on some of these nice rescues. One of these days, when the cattle are gone, I may just be looking for a companion...

Your title says, "Finding the perfect BC..." Remember that even when you know the parents and grandparents, pups are still a bit of a gamble. While good breeding ups your odds of getting a pup that will grow into your "right" dog, it is no guarantee. A rescue dog (adult, young adult, or adolescent) that has been fostered, worked with, and evaluated by a responsible rescue organization, and then matched to you, is generally a much better known entity. It's not foolproof but it certainly helps a person to find a "perfect match" for their family and situation.

My hat is off to both those who breed responsibly and those who rescue responsibly - along with those who buy/adopt responsibly!

Jay looks amazing. I almost feel guilty saying this, but his look would almost make me say yes. And his little blurb sounds like he is a great boy and just needs someone to give him what he deserves. In the process of talking to my wife about him, and what we want to do... but she is hesitant.

Both BRBCR and MABCR are very reputable rescues. They will take a dog back if it doesn't work out. Not that they want people adopting with the idea in mind that it's not a commitment but we all know that sometimes even the best intentions can be fraught with unexpected incompatibilities. If you are considering rescue, find out what their "return" policy is *just in case*. Your wife might fall hard for a dog like Jay once she's had the chance to enjoy his company.

Again, I am not suggesting buying or adopting with a "if this doesn't work out, we can return him" attitude but some groups do even encourage a "trial period" because the responsible groups want it to work out the best it can for both dog and new family, and they stand behind their programs.

Jay looks like the total package. If he were female I would be taking him! I think a young adult rescue with a foster home that can tell you all about his behavior and personality is such a great way to get into a breed for the first time (or to get any dog really!). It is less of a risk in my opinion and my first border collie was an adult. Plus you can start with the fun training, playing right away than with an 8 wk old pup.

Go for it. You can't beat the personal recommendation of someone who knows their stuff.

As Sue R says, there are no guarantees even with the best researched pup. At least with a dog past the pup stage you have a good idea of what you are getting.