BC Boards

The other end of the leash

Bo Peep

I'm reading this now- It's quite interesting. My next book will be (forget what it's called) I think it's "Controlled Unleashed" any comments on that? This book I'm reading right now, is pretty simple, yet has given me a few pointers on how to behave with new dogs and approaching them. Pretty good book.

I never got into CU (too much of a class setting and my dogs aren't reactive the way the dogs in the book were described). I loved The Other End of the Leash. It's been a while since I've read it and every so often I think of picking it up again, but I've got a ton to read that I haven't read before. I'm pretty sure she wrote For the Love of a Dog, didn't she? I really didn't care for that book for some reason. I gave it as a gift to a friend who says she loves it, but I didn't think it was as anywhere near as good as The Other End of the Leash.

I've read both. I think The Other End of the Leash is a really good book, especially for people who don't have a lot of experience with understanding and interpreting dog behavior. I like to recommend it to adopters when they ask for book recommendations. I think that if people can understand that it's to their benefit to try and learn how to read dogs instead of always expecting dogs to read us, there'd be a lot fewer dogs with issues out there.

CU is more geared toward people with reactive dogs, and specifically people with reactive dogs that are wanting to compete in agility. But, the concepts are broad enough that they can be applied outside the agility setting, too. I've used many of the concepts with my dog, Charlie, who can be reactive in highly charged situation like an agility practice or trial. I specifically read the book (and took a class) to learn how to help him deal with his anxiety at agility because we are getting ready to start competing soon. I have seen some definite improvements in him. I'm sure some of that is just him maturing, too. He handles most situations with much more maturity now than he did, say, a year ago.

I would love for "The Other End of the Leash" to be required reading for all first time dog owners. Maybe even second time dog owners. :rolleyes: Ditto what Mary said about it.

Agreed! This was a phenomenal book. Along the sames lines is "The Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson. They both really help explain the differences between dogs and people, something I think a lot of us tend to have trouble with!

Yes! Great book. I have pretty much read all of her books, but this is the one that opened me up to canine behaviour. For the love of a dog is wonderful too! (it made me cry) I have CU, but my trainer is borrowing it so that she knows what I am up to, Culture clash is good also. I don't even want to start listing all the books I've read on canine behaviour! The last class I took Daisy too came with a recommended reading list....I was floored. I think instructors should do that for puppy classes!

The Other End of the Leash and Culture Clash are excellent, but I thought that For the Love of a Dog (by McConnell) knocked it out of the park! That and CU would be my choice for requirement for first time dog owners if there were such a thing!! :rolleyes:

I love CU. If I had to forget everything I had ever learned from every dog training book except one, I would keep what I've learned from CU hands down. Every dog I own from now on will learn the CU games before I even take the dog into basic - even the dogs of normal temperament!

• 5 months later...

I just picked up "The Other End of the Leash," last night. We had our book store, dinner and a movie date night. :rolleyes: There are some really great things I have been trying out today. Especially cocking my head when dealing with Ceana and Poke in certain situations. Some times Poke finds pets rude, lol, so I have started just cocking my head to the side and saying "pets?" and so far today I haven't gotten his HOW DARE YOU look and grumble. So far so good. It is much easier to just let him know what I would like to do instead of guess whether he just wants to lay next to me with no pets or if he might enjoy a head scratch.

Ceana backs herself into her crate and just gets possesive and scared sometimes (although this is much less frequent than it was in the past.) I am going to try that with her as well and see if she finds us less threatening when she is in "bad space."

• 2 weeks later...

I am also currently reading The Other End of the Leash and Control Unleashed. Both books have been helping immensely in helping me rehab Indy (he is a shut down dog). I saw Culture Clash at the bookstore the other day, so that is probably next on my list.

I love both "The Other End" and "Culture Clash." I think I read "The Other End of the Leash" six or seven times in the first year I had Buddy. It really helped me understand his psychological take on the world I had brought him into.

I also liked "Bones Would Rain from the Sky" by Suzanne Clothier.

Mary

• 2 weeks later...

I told 2 adopters to buy the other end of the leash this weekend. It seems that a vet is pushing a training method called barkbusters in my area and I met a border collie today and I dont agree with their assessment on him. The people were thinking they needed to surrender their dog that they were making him dangerous. WTH. The dog seemed like a pretty normal young bc to us.

• 4 months later...