BC Boards

Mist, The Tale of A Sheepdog Puppy DVD

nowwown

Has anyone heard of this movie? I work for a DVD distributor and got an advance copy of this movie, which has a street date (sold in stores) of April 22.

Here is what the flyer says:

"Mist is one of three pups born at Borough Farm. From the moment that she opens her eyes she knows that one day she wants to become a real sheepdog. But things are not as straightforward as she might have hoped. Training with the boss seems rather confusing and when Mist tries to impress him with her newfound skills she only gets into trouble. Then there's a bunch of gruff and grumpy rams to deal with, and an auntie who doesn't seem to always have Mist's best interest at heart. Can Mist really learn her craft and one day prove herself worthy of a place in the tam of sheepdogs at Borough Farm?"

This movie is made by Allumination Filmworks.

Website for the movie is www.mistthemovie.com

the tam of sheepdogs at Borough Farm?"

Has anyone ever heard the term 'a tam of sheepdogs' before? I couldn't turn up any reference to tam being used in that way (but I like it)

Wrong address for the website. Here it is: http://www.mistthemovie.co.uk/

Has anyone heard of this movie? I work for a DVD distributor and got an advance copy of this movie, which has a street date (sold in stores) of April 22.

Here is what the flyer says:

"Mist is one of three pups born at Borough Farm. From the moment that she opens her eyes she knows that one day she wants to become a real sheepdog. But things are not as straightforward as she might have hoped. Training with the boss seems rather confusing and when Mist tries to impress him with her newfound skills she only gets into trouble. Then there's a bunch of gruff and grumpy rams to deal with, and an auntie who doesn't seem to always have Mist's best interest at heart. Can Mist really learn her craft and one day prove herself worthy of a place in the tam of sheepdogs at Borough Farm?"

This movie is made by Allumination Filmworks.

Mist the Movie is a production of David Kennard in the U.K: David is best known for his "Year of the working sheepdog" video production; which many Border Collies Boards members will have enjoyed.

Mist`s tales have been serialised on British Children`s Tv. as short 'bite'size 10 minute slots.....now edited together to make: Mist the movie which is the latest screen outing for David`s wonderful. acting sheepdogs.

http://sheepdogvideo.co.uk/

I think its a typo. I think it is supposed to be "team."

Duh. How obvious. Why didn't I think of that?

It's my creative mind, always on the lookout for a quaint new sheepdog term to add to the vocabulary...to help distinguish me from the great unwashed masses of labrador retreiver owners I live among :rolleyes:

• 5 months later...

I had heard about the DVD on another list and found it at a local store for next to nothing so brought it home and watched it with a couple of friends. I didn't realize it was a David Kennard production but when the narrator kept mentioning Borough Farm my poor old brain recognized it as something I should know, and then when he mentioned Windcutter Down, I said to my friends, "Wait a minute, are these David Kennard's dogs?" Since both his books were sitting on the shelf above the TV, I pulled them down, and sure enough, the dogs and the place were the same. (Does this qualify me to become a private investigator? LOL!) Anyway, I thought it was kind of neat to see the personalities that were given to each dog, especially since I was familiar with them through A Year of the Working Sheepdog and Kennard's books. My friends and I agreed that the movie was a bit cheesy (but then it was intended for a much younger audience, so that can be forgiven), but we really liked the more realistic portrayal (with some artistic license) of the work a working sheepdog does. I think that alone makes the DVD a good one, and if my nieces and nephews were still small, I would get it for them. One of my friends watching teaches second grade and said she'd show it to her students....

J.

We just watched it last night and my kids pronounced it Way Better Than Babe.

I love the different personalities. Jake was hilarious. I think I've owned Fern in the past. :rolleyes: Julie, the kids said that Jake looks like Soccer Dog.

It was indeed cheesy but I still got all choked up at one point and my eyes got kinda watery. I blame it on PMS. :D

The photography was a more casual style and not perfect, but it really allowed some amazing footage to be captured.

We just watched it last night and my kids pronounced it Way Better Than Babe.

Ineed! That's what I was thinking when I wrote about working dogs really working....

I love the different personalities. Jake was hilarious. I think I've owned Fern in the past. :rolleyes: Julie, the kids said that Jake looks like Soccer Dog.

Funny that. Several of us thought that Jake's personality was very much like Soccer Dog's son Pip!

It was indeed cheesy but I still got all choked up at one point and my eyes got kinda watery. I blame it on PMS. :D

If it's the point I'm thinking of, then you were not alone. So no need to blame it on PMS.

J.

I got the DVD and definitely enjoyed it as a comfortable, non-challenging way to spend a tired evening. Incredibly picturesque settings, pretty music, I could listen to the main narrator [Derek Jacoby?] read the phone book with pleasure. It should be pretty good for young people. Even the extremely quick shot of the lamb being born is carefully framed to avoid the most graphic aspects, and those few seconds are very peripheral to the rest of the film. I find the dogs working sheep on those sea cliffs *much* more alarming, myself. Wow. It's fun to imagine the handler(s) off-camera encouraging the dogs to "act" in the more domestic scenes. They were pretty creative about using the dogs' existing behaviors (like the no-nonsense slick bitch with the very strong eye) to tell the story, instead of adding a lot of anthropomorphic tricks.

I'll tell you who really enjoyed watching, though, it was my 9 month old bitch pup, Joss. It was like watching a "princess" movie with my niece when she was 7-ish years old. She didn't focus all the way through (neither did my niece) but much of the time she appeared to be watching (and listening to the animal noises) raptly. She also seemed interested when she'd hear the shepherd's whistles, as though she knew it ought to mean something but wasn't sure what. Any time there were fairly large animals moving in the middle of the screen (mostly full-figure shots of dogs or sheep, sometimes even a human) she'd scoot right up to the front of the TV set and sit (or prairie dog on her haunches) craning forward with her ears pricked at maximum attention. A couple of times she'd leave the set and come throw herself on the sofa with me, poke me with a nose or pat me with a paw, and then turn to pointedly stare at whatever was on the screen. Look, mom! LOOK! (Who says they can't talk?) Sometimes her tail thrashed furiously, especially at the sheep.

I don't know if she wants to be a movie star when she grows up, but she definitely wants to be a Sheep Princess.

The other dogs weren't quite as impressed, though they'd all come trotting in when they heard the noise of puppies fussing.

Pleasant little flick.

I rented the DVD through Netflix. I think that young children would love it! However, it was waaaaay to cheesey for my taste! My husband made fun of me and the movie almost the whole way through! He couldn't believe I was actually watching it. At one point I turned down the volume and made my own dialogue. That was fun!

• 4 weeks later...

I have to admit I think I am becoming a bit obsessed with this movie... it's turned into one of those movies that I just have playing in the background... I'm moving so I've been packing a lot lately with 'Mist' playing in the background, and I think I've watched it (rather, played it) about 5 times in the last week and a half! haha... It's a really fantastic movie, would like to see another like it.

"The Year of the Working Sheepdog" is for you! Same dogs, same farm. You'll love it!

I watched that last weekend, and LOVED IT. It's amazing to watch the dogs doing their everyday jobs on the farm, It is really worth seeing. :rolleyes:

Um..... does anyone know where I might find The year of the working sheepdog? I Hunted for it on Amazon and chapters but no luck :-( anyone have the isbn # for it or a link in Canada that I can get it from? Think I might of seen bits of it on PBS but never been able to catch it all.. Thanks :-)

• 1 month later...

so I just got done watching this movie for about the millionth time (ok, so more like it's playing in the background and I glance at it every now and then) and I noticed today that there are holes in the very ends of the rams' horns, looks like they've been drilled through or something. What are those for? Are they a means of control, like latching a rope or wire through them?

• 1 month later...

I discovered this movie while I was at work today. I'm a people behaviourist and I work in a group home. One of the residents likes children's programming and Mist was the Sunday afternoon movie on Tv.

I got nothing else done. I sat and watched the movie and eventually a few more residents and staff wandered in and watched it with us. I'm supposed to set a good example with my calm, cool and collected behaviour but I was bouncing up and down and getting all excited.

Fun movie and I know I need to find a copy for myself.