BC Boards

Anyone ever use a Ruff Roots chew?

So I saw someone on here post about a wood flavored plastic chew and thought that sounded like an interesting new chew toy for my BC. I try to vary his chew toys to keep him entertained, he tends to get bored of each chew if I leave it on the ground too long, so I keep switching them out. After searching for the wood flavored chew (which I found, looks like petstages makes them) I found another chew that I have never heard of, The Ruff Roots from Himalayan Corporation (the Himalayan dog chew company).

http://himalayandogchew.com/products/list/13

My dog tried to chew on my wood floors when he was a puppy and occasionally tries to gnaw on twigs when I am not looking. So maybe he would enjoy this, but kinda wanted to know if anyone else has bought one and if you liked it or not.

Never heard of them. I wish their webpage was more clear about the product - e.g. I would like to see a photo of the product (not a graphic) and a few customer testimonials would make me feel more secure about letting my dog chew a root/tuber. I will be interested to hear if anyone has used them too.

I found this website that sells them:

http://www.inthecompanyofdogs.com/itemdy00.aspx?ID=17,476&T1=D151047+M

And this article has a blurp about them with a photo:

http://www.dogster.com/lifestyle/superzoo-pet-expo-dog-products-best-worst-conference-pictures-photos-2014

They do look very neat. I love Himalayan chews from that company so I'd be interested in trying them.

I ordered one for Bandit. His size is apparently the sprout. I will report back. Hoping he will like it and it will be a suitable chew item for him. I plan to use it only when he is supervised, and I am hoping that Tessa doesn't steal it.

I ordered one for Bandit. His size is apparently the sprout. I will report back. Hoping he will like it and it will be a suitable chew item for him. I plan to use it only when he is supervised, and I am hoping that Tessa doesn't steal it.

Awesome! Yeah, let me know if you like it. I usually replace one of Archer's chew items every month and might be trying that one next.

• 2 months later...

Reporting back - I was not impressed.

Basically it is a piece of wood. The dog either chews off little pieces of wood and eats them, or drops them all over the floor. I found it messy and I was uncomfortable with the size of some of the wood chunks the dogs got off of it.

My vote - thumbs down.

Yeah, I tried them briefly. Too easy for the dog to chew up, too much like letting them chew on regular wood. I'll stick with the wood flavored/scented plastic thing. At least that one's proven impossible to consume.

That's another thing. I don't allow my dogs to help themselves to pieces of wood from the wood box! We have a fireplace and keep a small box of wood in the living room all winter. Any time Bandit went for a piece of wood, I traded him for one of his toys and he soon learned to ignore the woodbox, just like the other dogs.

Then I hand him a piece of wood. He actually ignored it at first. Finally Tessa took interest in it, and when he saw her chew on it, he took a turn after she was finished.

I put it up after that. In addition to the comments I made above, I also did not want to give them the impression that they are welcome to help themselves to wood if it is lying around!!!