BC Boards

Excessive Drooling

Is there any known issues if your BC starts drooling like crazy? It's like I'm holding a treat over her head at all times. Her crate was soaked yesterday and this morning and she's up-to-date on all shots for only being 6 months. She acted fine, hopping, barking, playing but she's like Hooch in the movie "Turner and Hooch" and watch out if she shakes her head, OMG it goes everywhere.

suggestions?

I had a diabetic cat who would drool like crazy whenever he would get a bad tooth.

Not suggesting your dog is diabetic, but you might have the vet check her teeth. Don't puppies generally get all their adult teeth around 6 months? If one of the puppy teeth didn't come out, that could cause a problem for her. Or if she managed to break a tooth or get something caught in one.

Worth a look, anyway.

There are a few reasons. He could have something stuck in his mouth or throat. He could have gotten a hold of something that is irritating his mouth. He could be stressed or ill. Check his mouth and throat for any lodged objects or injuries. If you can't find anything and he is still drooling, then I would suggest that you contact your vet.

ETA: My foster puppy did this a couple months ago. There was nothing stuck in his mouth or throat. We figure that he got a hold of a toad when he was outside and the toxins were making him drool. He was fine within a few hours. But, I did call my vet out of concern.

Sasha got into some insecticide as a puppy (a carbamate), which provoked a classic cholinergic reaction (salivation, lacrimation, urination, defecation). As a people doctor, I recognized it pretty quickly, and ultimately just observed her through it. She drooled puddles everywhere, but it only lasted half a day or so.

I called a couple of emergency vets - they told me they'd give her charcoal. I figured since I knew my toxicology, I just watched her because charcoal won't help this particular chemical.

Probably not the source of your drooling, but it's something that could cause it. Sasha had that distinctive odor on her breath, which helped me pinpoint it.

Is it only when he's in the crate? It could be because he's stressed. We have had dogs at the shelter that get really stressed and they will start drooling. It's really thick when they are stressed. But it could be something stuck in his mouth too.

He is probably car sick. Most dogs do that when they are. If I'm not mistaken there are some people on here that could point you to the right place to find some ways to help him.