BC Boards

Sensitive stomachs typical for BCs?

Hi,

Poor Cody has had diarrhea for four days now, including two "blowouts" one night in his crate. This followed a birthday party on Sunday at a local dog cafe where he ate a lot of doggie treats and doggie cake all afternoon. It seems like it has taken a long time to get this out of his system. Is this normal when a 7 month old puppy eats "strange" food?

We have one BC with a pretty sensitive stomach and three others who could eat the most varied and peculiar set of things with almost no effect.

Assuming that Cody is otherwise normal (eating well, playing, drinking, etc) and if you haven't already, you may want to restrict his diet to something like chicken and rice or hamburger (defatted) and rice. If it doesn't clear up in a couple days of that kind of bland diet, you should probably take in a fecal to have him checked. He could have easily picked up a virus, a bacterial infection or some other kind of parasite (like giardia)--especially if the tummy upset has lasted this long. When our sensitive stomach boy gets sick from eating something that didn't agree with him, he's usually better after a day or so.

Poor kid--I feel so bad for them when they aren't feeling well.

Is this normal when a 7 month old puppy eats "strange" food
LOL. This brings to mind the BC in NYC who swallowed a knife which when viewed by x-rays, took up almost her entire length. (she did survive surgery, BTW).

It sounds like your pup overloaded on goodies. Generally speaking, sensitive stomachs should be the exception, rather than the rule, but even the most cast iron stomach can react in such a way when given too much of a good thing.

I would put the pup on a bland diet for a few days, and provided there is no blood in the stool or vomiting, this should resolve. If not, there might be something else going on, but from what you describe, I would say it was too much of a good thing, and my suggestion is basically what I would do.

Border collies eating strange things---hmmm---in my house - there is Joe who pulls the scrungies out of my hair while I'm sleeping and eats them. I find them while cleaning up the yard, totally unsalvagable. SOMEONE in my house thinks they're a rodent and shreds wood. Their poop has wood bits in it. Tib loves candles. She has brightly colored poop. Then there is Maggie, who went to the extent of pulling down my purse from the table, unzipping it, removing a bottle of aspirin and eating a third of it. That one cost me 500.00 for her to be on IV's throughout the weekend. And then there is Tam, who scarfed down a portion of rubber ball and three weeks and a few pounds later, went into surgery to have 18 inches of necrotic bowel because of the obstruction the fricken ball caused.

So, do border collies eat strange things? I leave it to you to decide.

A few months ago, I thought my dog was having diarrhea from eating dead frogs, goose poo, deer poo--you know, the NORMAL stuff these maniacs like to eat. After a few days I took her to the vet and she ended up having "something that was going around." The puppy version of the flu. It made sense to me because we had stupidly let her drink from a public doggy fountain at the park. It cleared up with some meds. If your pup was around many dogs during the party, maybe he picked up a bug. I hope he feels better soon! Charlene

Poppy is just getting over that too. Had two days and then it cleared right up. No new food introduced so must have been a bug. He didn't act sick at all.