BC Boards

vestibular syndrome

Maralynn

As if cancer and anemia weren't enough, it appears that poor Kipp now has vestibular syndrome. I never thought that I'd be happy to see this in a dog but, when I took him to the vet this morning because he could hardly stand up, lots of much worse scenarios were running through my mind. It still could be related to or caused by the cancer but he's still eating decent and bloodwork and u/s weren't any more abnormal then they have been so we're in wait and see and hope he pulls out of it mode this weekend.

Poor Kipp. I went through vestibular syndrome with 2 dogs, one had it worse than the other. I've had several friend's dogs have this too. I know one of them had it and then they found out she had cancer.

Sending good vibes your way.

Samantha

Kipp seems better today. Still wobbly, obviously dizzy at times and not moving much but his attitude is perkier and he has some interest in the world around him. He's watching me and he got up and staggered after the cat when it trotted through the room :) Haven't tried meds with him as he has been eating without vomitting so in light of everything else that's wrong with him the idea is to wait and see if he does okay without adding another med to the mix.

I totally understand about not adding more meds. But I do want to add that Dramamine is used for car sickness and other dizziness issues in humans. It will help with balance and generally helps the dizzy nauseous symptoms.

I had a friend who was treating her senior with other meds. For some reason her vet didn't mention any drugs that would help his symptoms. The dog was not eating except out of her hand and only a little bit. HE couldn't manage her 3 steps into her camper at all. She gave Dramamine and the dog was able to navigate steps and started eating a bit on his own.

If you find he is still really dizzy I'd give it a try. I used it on a senior with the same problem and it worked quite well for him but it's been a long time ago. It does make them a bit sleepy, but so does dealing with all the dizziness.

I used to take it all the time as a child. My father was a pilot and I loved to go flying with him in his small plane but I am a car/plane/boat sick queen. So I'd take 1/2 a pill and sleep the whole plane ride and wake up saying I loved flying!

"...Staggering after the cat..." That would be my Celt in a similar situation. Glad to see that he still has his special interests, always a heart-warming sign.

Good news - vestibular issues seemed to be 80-90% cleared up. Bad news - he's now on antibiotics for a probable uti. By Sunday night he was trying to do some normal stuff. By Mon afternoon he looked out of it and had classic UTI symptoms. My poor dog can't catch a break. Sigh. Hoping the abx help.

He's getting steadily weaker. Most likely internal blood loss from the tumor :( Pretty much out of options except for something major like a blood transfusion. As much as part me is screaming to do whatever it takes, at this point that would only delay the inevitable. And he'd be in this spot again with his poor little body in worse shape than it is now. I'll see what he's like in the morning and make a decision then. Damn this hurts.