BC Boards

Poop eating and Adolphs meat tenderizer??

I have heard of using this stuff,but:

How much of the tenderizer do I put in the dog's food to hopefully stop this disgusting habit???

There's been a recent thread on this (and some others further back, I'm sure). A search should find it.

I used this for just a couple of days at most with my pup it because it made him a bit loose (he gets a little loose easily). However, it appeared to stop the habit quickly so it was worth it to me.

Hi

I posted about this a well and heres the thread.

http://www.bordercollie.org/cgi-bin/ultima...9656;p=1#000000

Curly has a very discerning palette as well. It is called Coprophagia (eating feces) so google it, you'll find all kinds of information. Like there's a difference in when they eat it, (fresh?) or if its their own or other dogs. Curly is exclusively his, fresh. (gaggg)

I tried DETER purchased at one of the big box pet stores. It worked. It's pills 2x a day for 2 weeks. I also changed his diet in the meantime however.

Curly has colitis and is on Hills Prescription diet W/D, kibble (high in fiber) and Verus canned chicken and rice. When he is on this food combo, he is a prolific pooper but doesn't eat it . Whenever I try to get him off the W/D food, feeding him food higher in protien, he gets a screwy stomach and beings to eat his poop. Some say, they eat it b/c they aren't absorbing their food properly. Some have had success with yogurt (helps digestion).

Some suggest putting them on a leash and training them to 'leave it' and running fast away from it, and then give them a treat. I'll tell Curly to LEave It and he does, but not before a quick lick. (ack)

good luck!~

Kim

We also had this problem with our young dog (10 months). I think it was somewhere on this board that pineapple was mentioned. I've added a sprinkling of juice to his kibble for the last few months and I think it has done the trick. Some say they eventually grow out of it but I firmly believe the pineapple worked. Worth a try anyway.

Christine, yes, you would have to do all of the dogs' foods, to make ALL of their poops unappetizing. I don't know if its the actual juice, or the actual fruit itself, as I had always heard to put the crushed pineapple from the can.

The only surefire way I found to totally stop it was to pick up quickly. One of my dogs was eating everyone's poop BUT hers. After a few months of doing some pineapple and quick pickup it has finally pretty much stopped. I have to watch her, though, because she'll do a fly-by snatching if I'm not careful. :rolleyes: Judging by the careful and meticulous way she handles it I'd say its apparently quite the delicacy. *shudders*

Well it dosen't seem to be age related, because it is Mirra who is 12 and Sitka who is 8. I haven't seen Phoenix -18 mos. do it, "yet"! I am afraid he will think it must be the thing to do, watching the other two... anyway I am gonna check out the threads and web site, to see what works.

Laura... that is tooo funny, they think you are eating it! made me laugh!! thanks!

Thanks....yuk, yuk, yuk!

Hey Joe Anne!

My 12 year old has started doing this about 2 yrs ago, it drives me nut. If it was her own poo she was eating I wouldn't mind as much because I know she is dewormed and on good food, but no, she eats all the stray cat poos and poos from dogs whose owners don't pick up in our local park. I get so upset! Who knows what worms they might have! I just make sure to have her dewormed regularly.

I have heard something about Zucchini though, not sure if the dog needs to eat it cooked or raw... Sorry, not much help there.

Good luck!