BC Boards

Chicken necks - pros & cons

gcv-border

I am considering feeding my 2 dogs an occasional? raw chicken neck. There are 2 families in my county who raised pastured chickens & turkeys. I wanted to research the pros & cons of feeding chicken necks before I contacted them to ask if I could source from them. (I would prefer not to get the industrial-raised parts at a grocery store.)

If you feed raw or just chicken necks, I would love to learn.

Feeding amount and frequency - routinely or for a special treat?

How to keep the floor clean - feed only in a crate or outside?

Transitioning to chicken necks - any digestive upsets?

Any other pros?

What are the cons?

Thanks,

Jovi

I feed a couple of my dogs 1/2 raw (two meals a day, one of which is raw). I use chicken necks (when I can get them) and turkey necks as part of the rotation of stuff they get. I've had no problems with them, though turkey necks can be quite large.

As for transitioning, if you're just doing it occasionally as a treat to clean teeth or whatever, I don't think you can really transition. I know that when I give out sheep bones to everyone for teeth cleaning that Willow is likely going to need to go out in the middle of the night, for example, but the rest of the dogs just seem to manage the occasional raw treat.

When I hand out bones, everyone is outside in the yard and I just space everyone out a bit. I don't usually have a problem with squabbles. The dogs who get regular raw meals are fed in their crates (no bedding).

J.

You gotta know your dogs, my BC will swallow the chicken necks whole. He is only allowed them either chunk-ed up so I don't care if he swallows them or turkey necks. My Paps eat the chicken neck.

I feed 90% raw and necks are for chewing (nothing seems to floss better than a poultry neck!) SO typically I skip chicken necks for him.

Just avoid mixing kibble food and raw in the gut, they can cause digestive issues in some dogs. Separating the meals by 12 hours is fine.

As far as cleanliness, I feed outside or in crates with no pads and just wipe down the floor of the crate afterwards.

All of mine eat theirs in their crates, that way I know how much everyone is eating

I have been accused in the past of having a "Fat" BC :rolleyes: , but really, its El Bandito, the "Barbie Collie", who is pretty much confirmantion bred and therefore just looks chunky compared to Elsie and Vibe :D (But he is a really really good snuggler :P )

I feed raw, have for 9 years. The dogs eat outside always. I prefer it and so do they. Unless its something that must be served in a bowl, I just hand them each their food at the gate and they each carry it to their preferred eating spot.

I feed chicken and turkey necks when I can get them. Mostly we do sheep (whole sheep cut into dog size portions), beef ribs, pork hocks, turkey drumsticks, and occasionally chicken leg quarters (though I prefer not to feed a lot of chicken because I don't have a local source). I've never had a problem with any kind of meaty bones fed raw. Bear even swallows his whole from time to time...while I don't recommend it, he's not had any issues because of it.

Each of my dogs have been different with feeding raw, you will have to experiment on your own, what works best for your situation.

Each dogs digestive track is different, whats good some may not work for others.

I feed raw turkey/chicken neck bones twice a week, outside. I like the added vitamins and minerals they get.

My one dog can spend 1/2 hour on a neck while another 5 minutes, each dog is different.

I feed a homemade diet of cooked very rare proteins, ( chicken, turkey, beef, lamb, different organ meat ) mixed with veggies, fruit and sometimes grain.

I make a batch once a month and freeze.

Also feed canned mackerel or salmon every other week.

I grow a lot of my own veggies, so I know they're getting pesticide free. ( spinach, kale, broccoli, collard greens, sweet potatoes, green beans)

I feed about 20% kibble mixed in.

Why do I do this, I want them healthy and live a long disease free life. My first border collie in 1983 I fed this diet, she lived to 18 and lived very well till the end. So, I've been doing this ever since with each dog, with some tweaks for each dogs needs.

I feed chicken necks almost daily. There have been no cons at all.

None of them had any problem with eating them, nor with digesting them.

And I do feed both raw and kibble together, but the kibble I feed is grain free. Not sure if that makes a difference, but it has worked well for us.

Because turkey necks are so big, I sometimes substitute a turkey neck for my dog's evening meals. If they are small turkey necks, the dogs get them as a midday snack and they've never had a problem.

ETA: I forgot to mention I feed the necks to them outside. I call their name, hand them a neck and I've never had any problem with one trying to take anything from the other.

I occasionally feed chicken necks as a treat, (when I have them) they are normally frozen when Rievaulx gets them. I do not feed raw and he has had no digestive issues. My other dog will not touch them and thinks raw chicken products are gross - raw beef is a different matter.

I like turkey necks best. They are nutritionally superior (though if subbing for the same kcals in kibble either is fine!), and less of a choking hazard for my not-so-with-it oldsters. :D

And they provide more of a decent nomming experience if frozen, for most of the puppers.

Chicken necks are just enough to make 'em mad. ;)

But they are fine if that's what you have available.

I feed all 3 of dogs RAW, that is 2 Border Collies-one 4 month old and one 4 year old, and 1 19 month old Pug/x.

They all get chicken necks(I got some for $.37/lbs a while ago) thankfully none of them are gulpers! They all 3 LOVE both chicken and turkey necks, the only one that I have a tiny problem with is the puggie, but I freeze his meals so that he has to take a little more time eating and everything goes fine!:)

Archived