BC Boards

I love reading these awesome progress reports about Amber!

I'd tried to post before (must not have hit send?) congratulating you on the wonderful success you're having with Amber. She's sure a lucky dog to have ended up with you this time.

Keep up the great work.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been a busy week and I need to give some updates. Amber has had some adventures some a little scary, but all in all, we have been making slow but steady progress.

The weather turned warm and sunny and that brought lots of people out. Before the worst of the crowds came, we did manage a couple of visits:

post-7882-0-11451200-1425756764_thumb.jpg

That's a "I'm not too sure about this" look, but at least it wasn't a panic and run reaction. The young woman had recently lost her own dog and was very happy to greet Amber.

Then we were by the lake while a man was throwing a ball for his lab. Amber was interested (not in the ball; just the running bit) and went up to see what was going on.

post-7882-0-24197600-1425756771_thumb.jpg

Again, a somewhat cautious look, but no panic.

Also this week, we twice had an off-leash dog come running up to us while Amber was on leash. Both times, I stepped in between Amber and the other dog and that gave Amber the confidence that I was going to protect her, so no panic.

She has also decided that that doughnut dog bed was really not so good after all and now sneaks upstairs when I'm not looking and jumps into my bed. I have to keep the bedroom door closed now.

Love the pic of Amber with the lab. Thanks for sharing these posts, they brighten my day with each little achievement you manage to cajole out of her.

Amber has some not-quite-so-endearing quirks (see below), but despite everything she brightens up my day too.

post-7882-0-31119000-1425998355_thumb.jpg

What you see here, between the pillows of our bed, is a totally inexplicable accumulation of dirt, together with various size shredded pieces of cardboard that once belonged to a box of tissues. The remaining tissues were strewn on the carpet. Now all I need is to train my wife to close the bedroom door while I'm at work.

And here are a couple of photos of her by the lake.

post-7882-0-45249000-1425999053_thumb.jpg

post-7882-0-06356500-1425999067_thumb.jpg

Ahh, the paper-shredding line of border collies is alive and functional! My much-missed Samantha dearly loved paper. She was my first bc, and my first dog in several years, when she came to me in 1997.

I came down with a cold a couple months after we got her, and left a box of tissues on the floor beside my bed. Left to run errands for about an hour. Upon my return, lo! A tissue storm had left my entire bedroom floor covered in soft white mounds.

I'm rooting for Amber, too, but do close the doors.

Ruth and SuperGibbs

I'm rooting for Amber, too, but do close the doors.

Amber is doing fine; we're taking things at her pace, but there's steady progress. A week back, taking her into the lake area of the park required coaxing and she was instantly ready to leave. Now, she needs no coaxing to go in; it's when it's time to leave that I have to persuade here it's time to go. And as we walk up the slope to the parking area, she stops every few moments and looks wistfully back.

As for paper shredding, Amber is latest of many fosters who were recreational shredders.

[Oh and I do close doors; it's my wife who needs telling. She is in complete denial and puts the blame on Senneca. I have my own theories on that. ]

She looks to be growing right before our eyes. Carring such a huge shell of fear tends to make them small. One piece at a time peeled off.

thank you for your kindness.

she is growing stronger every minute.

Amber says:

I like to sit up front next to my chauffeur when I go out. I enjoy watching what is going on and sometimes I give him kisses to show I appreciate his driving me places.

post-7882-0-45621900-1427124567_thumb.jpg

[still steady progress; no great leaps, but increased confidence and social skills. She gets very excited when we get to the dog park. ]

I am happy to hear of Amber's progress. Love the sleeping-with-tongue-out bit. My Kit used to do that when she was younger, and it always cracked me up. I am very glad that Amber is with you now, John. She looks so much better in the recent photos - you can actually see her coming out of her shell.

I think of all the things I have done in my life the most rewarding thing of all has been fostering shy frightened border collies and helping them along their journey to being full-hearted happy dogs.
There is just nothing like it.

Sunday, we went to Fountain Hills for the Paws Around the Fountain adoption event:
P1060091_zpsvykijvvu.jpg

It was sunny and hot, but to begin with it was OK under the canopy.
P1060051_zps1vl4linw.jpg

... especially when there were bully sticks to chew on
P1060075_zpsmaw5nvai.jpg

and sometimes passers by offered treats too
P1060063_zpsmyxjsev3.jpg

but a bit past lunch time it got so hot that a fan-cooled crate was the only place to be, even it was on a sharing basis
P1060093_01_zps0gxxy5jp.jpg

The event ended early as it simply got too hot for everyone to manage. Still, our rescue managed to adopt out four dogs. One -- a puppy that wasn't even at the event -- to a family who had adopted Zoe, one of my 2014 fosters. I got enthusiastic hugs and kisses from Zoe while the couple were getting directions to where they could meet the puppy.

Amber came through a tough day with flying colours. I was very impressed with her. We will change her status from "On hold" to available so she can start meeting potential adopters. I just need to get some new photos for the website as the old ones were not very flattering.

The difference in demeanour between the first picture of Amber that you posted less than 2 months ago and the most recent ones are truly amazing.

Well done to both of you.

Here's hoping that she finds a wonderful loving permanent home where she can continue to grow in confidence.

A little anecdote from yesterday's visit to the park.

I met a lady who has worked with basset hounds -- I don't think she fosters anymore, but she had her own three with her. We were chatting about this and that while I was keeping an eye on Amber, who was at the other end of the lake beach. Suddenly, she said "Your brown one is really sociable". I told her that it was ironic she should say that because a month ago, I could barely coax into the area, even if it was empty.

We still have battles ahead of us, but Amber is enjoying life in a way she had never been able to before.

• 3 weeks later...

No fancy ceremony, no calligraphic lettered scroll with Latin text, but Amber has graduated! Her status is no longer "On Hold"; she is Available. Amber has started a new phase of her Journey to her new home. True, we will be quite fussy about matching her with her new family, but I am optimistic that we will do it.

16834632670_4f115c1218_b.jpg

Wow, way to go Amber...wishing her all the best for her future life when she finds her forever home.

Congratulations also to you John..Amber,s journey has been really inspirational