BC Boards

a mutt by any other name is still a mutt

Mom24dog, that was pretty harsh. I don't condone mutilating dogs or animals for the matter. I don't even have my cats declawed for the only reason that I felt it was unecessary and mean. I don't believe in cosmetically changing a dogs appearance. And the breeder only wants 50 a pup to cover the vetrinary costs. It's a mutt. Not a papered pooch. It was not our choice to have those things removed. They were done before we had even known they existed. He simply wants homes where they will be treated well and cared for.

What was harsh about it?

The breeder has removed parts from the pup you want for no reason and expects you to pay for something you don't approve of, however little. If you pay you are condoning what has been done. I'm assuming the docking and dew claw removal were done properly by a vet and not by the breeder.

Paying for a vet check and regular worming is a different matter.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankly for 50.00 they're not paying for much more than a vet check and regular worming. The dewclaws and dock would cost much, much more. As long as they're not profiting -and they aren't- I don't see that as tacit approval.

But that's where MY moral line is.

In the world of the uneducated pet puppy buyer, $50.00 my be a deterrent to an impulse buy. Those people will check the classifieds for a "free to good home" ad.

Caring for the pups and not dumping them at the pound - or in the river - is worth at least $50.00. I don't have nearly the problem with the price tag as I do with the carelessness that led to an "oops" litter.

She's also coming out of a small town in the sticks of Nebraska. From a working dad and a working mom. Mom is a therapy dog who goes to work in jails and nursing homes. The carelesness of the oops is why I wared with myself over spaying before the first heat. I don't do the breeding thing and I didn't trust myself to watch her that closely. It take two minutes. We only found out because his aunt and uncle live in the same town and know the breeder. He only has two litters per female, more of a small breeder not byb though. Just feels it's wrong to put that many litters on a dog and after having children, I can appreciate a breeder who refuses to breed more than two litters off a bitch. It can compromise the dog. Wear her down.

I don't condone it nor do I agree with mutilation. I apologize if it offends you that I still want her. It sort of felt like a personal attack for purchasing the pup regardless of tail. I'm not paying for a pup. I'm paying for the care she got because she's a mutt. She will be spayed because again. I don't breed and loved. Perhaps I can have half of a flyball team.

I hope that didn't sound like I'm being sensitive. I abhore cruel treatment of animals. Mine are well cared for and loved. And there are a few animals in my house lol.

• 5 weeks later...

I'd love to see a photo of the pups! That sounds like a cute combination and they could end up getting the best features of both breeds. I know the boxers I've met are sweet and affectionate, and often quite intelligent. Though I agree with twocatsandabc, who said that there's a whole different training approach for boxers than BCs.

The only thing I will add to the above comments is that there is a risk that some of the puppies in a boxer/bc mix litter coming out looking a bit "pittie". While this is not a problem for me, I like pits and pit mixes, it may be for some municipalities that have BSL legislation in place. Rural Nebraska? Probably not an issue though......

Doberman Pinschers too. There's a reason they cut those tails off. Dunno why they never docked Great Danes. Their tails are a menace too, and not just to others. They're always injuring them.

IMO, cutting of tails is cruel and utterly unnecessary. I have known dobermans and boxers with tails (and ears) who never injured their tails. There is no more reason that a boxer or doberman would injure a tail than that a lab would, or any other breed.

I think that cutting ears and tails off amounts to mutilation, myself, but that is of course just my opinion. In some parts of the country they routinely cut off the tails of border collies, too. Completely unnecessary, but the people who do it think it is needed so they do it. I think that to cut off a dog's tail is cruel because for one thing it removes a very important communication device for the dog. I also know someone with a standard poodle with a poodle-docked tail, and she says that her dog has had incidents of "phantom tail syndrome", like the phantom limb syndrome that people have when a limb is amputated. I believe it because it makes sense to me.

Cass C wrote: "but my DH told me with Lily she is the last pet. I'm only allowed to get fish now"

This koi just auctioned off for $221,455.00 (I double checked the decimal point, its correct) Tell your husband this is the fish you want. He'll probably say "get a dog!"

10805754_761747923873355_723554959183708

koi- something I know! I have a koi and water garden business. like anything else-cars, art, dogs- you can pay as much or as little as you want, depending on your knowledge and desires... that koi, at that price is most likely an oyagoi, a fish used primarily for breeding. so most likely going to a farm to start or enhance the breeding stock.

I grew up with boxers my whole life. One we had as a puppy was extremely obnoxious and liked to literally box everyone over. She was a behemoth sized boxer (German Shepherd size) compared to the other ones we got from rescues. The rescue ones however weren't very hyper...it usually wears off after a few years. When I got Effie (my first border collie) I taught her more tricks in the first month of having her than our "brainiest" boxer knew.

I consider training boxers hard...mine were always very stubborn. Ripley still has the tendency of "talking" to you when he is frustrated over a treat. (Ripley is the brindle and Zoe is the white one). Zoe isn't the smartest dog...she lives for food. However they are VERY loyal companions and awesome with children. Ripley use to wait at the front door for hours until my mom would get back from work.

The sad thing I've noticed growing up with boxers is that some dogs just don't like them. Particularly pit bulls really wanted to attack our boxers.

Hopefully the puppies keep the border collie smarts and get the boxer's loyal, bubbly personality. They are probably going to be some pretty interesting looking dogs. :)

post-16800-0-99412700-1416718882_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Wow sorry guys! Between vacation and holidays I sort of abandoned my post. We ended up getting her and jeeze louise she's crazy. Her and Layla are the best of buds and a lot of trouble to boot. She's picking up on potty training pretty well by fallowing layla and posotive reinforcement. My kids named her sophie. I'll upload pictures either tonight or tomorrow. They really do get a long well. Layla has had no issues with jealousy or aggression but the pup does go to bed earlier than the three of us do. She still gets her mom and dad quiet time. On another note. Between the two dogs the bottom third of my tree is naked and all the candy canes have been eaten. Not by us either...

Young boxers can be really crazy acting. They just have a huge amount of energy.

My border collie puppies have never been especially frenzy prone but I just took care of a young boxer that was just awful. She just jumped up constantly. She was boinging about 4 feet straight up in the air at the back door. She was really a huge handful. She also killed two of the woman's cats - by accident.

I quit that job. There are some so-called rescue people I don't want anything to do with. When you rescue an animal it should be in a safer environment than the one it came from. You don't put it into a situation where it might get killed.

When I got BCs, I got a Christmas tree that fits up on the table. I just didn't want to risk it with all those balls. The first year, I actually didn't put any balls on the tree. Turns out they are both just fine with a trre in the house with balls on it, no need to panic.