BC Boards

Dwarfism?

Anyone heard of it in border collies? I've had them my whole life, but have not seen it. I would imagine anything is possible. I'm taking my 4 month old back to the vet next week because of my concern about her growth and especially her front legs. Two vets have already deemed her healthy.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We get two different types of small BCs on agility - those that are small but of regular proportions and those with normal sized bodies but disproportionately short legs, even more so that the show type of BC.

Some of the short legged ones might not be pure bred but some are and could be true dwarfs. You can get it in labs and GSDs.

This pup has certainly some deformity going on. She was the runt, but was cleared by the breeder's vet before I bought her and by my vet after. But now at 4 months I'm seeing improvement in her energy level, but a worsening of those front legs. She also limps on and off, which concerns me. I have an appointment for next week, and I'm sure they'll take xrays.

I see you are in north-western PA. There is a specialty clinic at the northern end of Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Center) that you might choose to consider. I have worked with several vets there when Celt needed a referral with regards to his CCL tears, and that's where I chose to have his surgeries done. There is quite a bit of ortho experience among the vets at that clinic. There are several I particularly liked.

I hope things work out well and healthfully for her.

On another note, did the breeder provide any form of guarantee with regards to this or any other issue? Sometimes a breeder will help if there is a problem that develops that is genetic.

Yes Sue, I am half expecting to be referred to them. I have been to their Neurology department for a different dog.

She did offer a replacement pup from the next time they breed. They don't breed often, so it will be a while if that's what I choose. I honestly didn't pay much for her; she refused to charge me very much. I had the choice of two other pups, but I chose her. It's just one of those things. Her personality is perfect. The breeder took her to the vet to be sure she didn't have issues. The vet said she was small, but otherwise healthy. This bowleggedness has developed over the last few weeks.

If she's perfect in every other way, I think I'd get an expert opinion or two on why this is happening and if there are future issues to be concerned with (and if it can be corrected). I'd go from there. If it's simply dwarfism and you're happy with her otherwise, then I'd just keep on keeping on with her!

J.

I wouldn't say quickly. She's walked a little odd since the start, but we were assuming because she was lacking muscle. It's one of those things where I see her everyday, so it's not been obviously worse until I really started comparing her to other pups and realized how profound it is and her small stature. People think she's a corgi mix.

Here's another thread on the Boards:

http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php?showtopic=30521

And a site with info on Pituitary Dwarfism, including a test for it.

http://www.collielife.com/Health/pituitarydwarfism.html

Does she have the correct number of teeth? Since she is only four months old this could be a little difficult to determine and is her bite correct? Some forms of dwarfism have malocclusions. I work as a Vet Tech and we do see a Bernese Mountain/German Shep mix that has a form of dwarfism. His teeth and bite are normal and his hind legs appear fairly normal although short but his front legs are very short, thick boned and bow legged. Years ago I remember seeing a Dalmatian that was severely dwarfed, very out of proportion with all four legs short, thick and bowed, she had a terrible overbite and missing premolars.

Good luck with your puppy. Regardless, she is very cute with a sweet expression and she's lucky to have you. Perhaps it is an angular limb deformity that can be corrected with splinting.

I guess my thought is that you find out what is going on so you know what you are dealing with; get a grip on her prognosis and know what options there are with regards to her development and future; do whatever is reasonable in your situation to help her; and just love her for who and what she is.

That face kills me!

Yes, her teeth appear to be normal and her bite is correct. I'm a chronic mouth-peeker lol. She's starting to get her adults in. I'm curious to see what the vet will have to say.

Thanks for the links geonni! Interesting read!

Sue, I have no idea what you mean ;)

post-9469-0-29826200-1443698822_thumb.jpg

post-9469-0-51391300-1443698961_thumb.jpg

She's adorable! Seriously beautifull and has such a nice personality shining through. If she truly is a dwarf and has no related health issues, there's lots of much worse stuff out there that she doesn't have. So, right now, I'm kind of hoping she's a dwarf. Unless it's something that can be corrected, of course.