BC Boards

Unchaining Chance.

I'm really not quite sure how much of that coat is actually... attached to him, even now. Don't get me wrong, he has a ton, but I kind of suspect he is still carrying a metric TON of undercoat in there, and it's going to be coming out for a good long while. I need to get after him with a rake, or a shedding blade or something, but there are limits, you know? For me, if not him :P

It's just so great to see those happy pics and to hear about you and all the good folks who are helping to find him a new life!

good luck with that metric ton! He does remind me of the lion in Oz- a very unique fellow :-)

I'm curious. Is he definitely known to be part Chow? Or is it a guess based on the spotted tongue?

One reason I ask is that if it's only a guess it might be better not to advertise him as part Chow when you 're looking for a home for him. Chows have a bit of a reputation for being nasty and it could limit the interest you'll get.

Other breeds have a predisposition for having spotting on their tongues, and a couple of them could fit his appearance: http://www.puppyleaks.com/dogs-spotted-tongues/

I agree that they have a reputation and could (will) limit homes.

The thing is, I don't think you can look at that dog's face, in person, and not see chow. It's not the spotted tongue. It's the heavy coat, the size, his shape, the shape of his head/face, the droopy eyes, and tiny ears. He just... REALLY looks like a small tri-colored chow with a slightly longer coat.

It is going to make things hard, and it sucks, but it's almost impossible to even see this dog and not go 'Huh. Chow mix', you know?

This is the closest to accurately representative of him I have, photo wise. He just. LOOKS really chowy. Even if he's not, people are going to assume, overall, and I don't think I could pull of 'What? Nope' if my life depended on it.

This is the most accurate picture I have of his face.

7%20-%201_zpspslluai9.jpg

I don't intend to emphasize it, but I've seen too many rescues list obvious pit mixes as lab mixes to get them into homes, never mention the pit to get them into homes and then owner and dogs end up with the short end of the stick because of breed bans, insurance restrictions, or rental restrictions. Chows (and mixes) have many of those same restrictions and the people making the call about what breed the dog is are usually doing so based on superficial looks, anyway - sometimes even when they're dead wrong.

Not worth it, to me.

Likely, I will never even post an ad and he'll go home with someone I know personally and knows him in person. If there IS any advertising it will be via pictures and a description of his actual personality. But could be many spitz breeds or whatever is tantamount to lying to place (for me!) and I'm, personally, not all right with that.

I DO understand what you're saying and why, though.

Isn't it a bit irresponsible to lie about the dog to get him into a home? I would rather wait to find someone suited for the dogs personality then lie. It is pretty obvious by looking at the dogs head shape, face and ears, it likely has Chow in it.

I see too, a lot of rescues say lab mix when it looks like a bully breed. You're not doing the dog any favors by a quick adoption if it isn't a good fit.

Wait and find someone who wants him for who he is. Lots of people like Chows and have them. I used to know two who were fabulous dogs.

You are doing a wonderful thing helping him. That should be the main focus- help him get into a home that understands and appreciates him. If someone immediately says no based on appearance, then they weren't right for him. :)

The bottom line is, there are only really two options here:

He finds a good home and/or foster situation based on who and what he is and how he fits into a current household - either with someone I know or someone I find via networking/ads/etc.

or

He doesn't find that place (or find it soon) and he goes back on the chain, vetted, groomed, with a better dog house/shelter, and legal, written paperwork in place that will allow me to have get him future vet care, and remove him from the property for grooming, walks, play, training and attention without taking possession/ownership of him.

Do I like option two? No. It isn't ideal. I want him out of there and into a real home, and the sooner the better. He deserves it. He deserves better than I can give him, with my hands tied by legal limits and my GSD/Pyr mix (do I need to tell you how well he takes another adult male on his property/in his home?). But it's still not rotting on a chain ignored. I have achieved SOMETHING.

Even if he ends up with his actual owner getting frustrated and dropping him in a shelter, it's better than the situation he started out in and he's better equipped to be adoptable/wanted. I don't think that will happen but it might. I really am doing the very best I can for this dog within the limits of not making things worse for him (getting him into a home where he's not wanted or appreciated or who's owners hit legal trouble because of his mix/breed, or because my own dog ate/attacked him) or putting me into a situation of being able to do anything because I broke laws.

I just. I'm trying.

Now just wait a minute! ;) I never said to lie!

I asked if it was known for sure that he's a Chow mix. I've seen a number of Keeshonden with similar looking eyes, as well as some unknown mixes, several of which had spotted tongues.

All I was saying was that if he's actually an unknown mix, I wouldn't go around telling people he's a Chow mix . . . I'd say he's an unknown mix, which would be friggin' true.

Oh, I'm not going to lie or speak with authority. If someone asked me I'd say I suspected he was a chow/aussie mix, because I do, but I'm not going to promote him as a for sure anything because I don't know.

My big fear with not saying anything, though, is that because he looks SO chow-y that if he ends up with owners who rent, or need to move, or have home insurance, that their insurance agent, landlord, or whatever are going to see him and decline to insure their property, rent to them, or whatever because THEY decide he's a chow mix (and that's all it takes). Then he's just SOL because this isn't a situation where he can be taken back into rescue, you know?

I agree with Cpt. Jack on this one. The dog is obviously part Chow Chow. To represent him as anything else would be disingenuous at the very least, IMO.

It burns me up too, when I see obvious pit bulls or pit mixes billed as lab X boxer. Nothing wrong with a pit bull per se, but people have a right to have a dog identified correctly. And the insurance thing is a real deal. Even if the dog isn't part Chow Chow, anyone looking at him will likely come to the same conclusion.

I thought I remembered seeing a "wolf-sable" Chow Chow once, but was unable to turn one up on the Internet. What I did find was a breeder who has a blue merle chow stud. This made my eyebrows go up. Blacks and blues I've seen, and some with parti-colored eyes, but this was a surprise. I combed the website and looked at the registration for the dog in question. He is CKC registered. The other two merles on the site don't have posted pedigrees. The ones in the more usual colors are mostly showing AKC registration. Hmmmmm. The breeder is in Tennessee.

post-10533-0-70090000-1445016148_thumb.jpg

post-10533-0-68841000-1445016169_thumb.jpg

post-10533-0-06736900-1445016193_thumb.jpg This blue is from a different breeder.

http://www.rhenegade-chows.com/CHOW_CHOWS.html

It's not going to matter if friends meet him and see how nice he is. He sounds like he has a really stable nice temperment.

I have taken care of chows and chow mixes. I didn't care as long as they were nice dogs. And they were all rescues and their owners didn't care that they had chow in the mix.

He's a nice dog and he will find a good home.