BC Boards

Looking for a specific type of Border Collie mix

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Woman's Best Friend BY ERICA JONG - excerpt

"I could tell you the story of my life through the dogs I have loved. I could tell you the story of the losses in my life through their deaths. Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love and loyalty. They depart to teach us about loss. We try to replace them but never quite succeed. A new dog never replaces an old dog; it merely expands the heart. If you have loved many dogs, your heart is very big."

A Woman's Best Friend BY ERICA JONG - excerpt

"I could tell you the story of my life through the dogs I have loved. I could tell you the story of the losses in my life through their deaths. Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love and loyalty. They depart to teach us about loss. We try to replace them but never quite succeed. A new dog never replaces an old dog; it merely expands the heart. If you have loved many dogs, your heart is very big."

Thank you so very much for sharing that !

We know that no dog could ever replace our beloved Angel, she will still be so missed no many how many new dogs we may get, but yet we still need to fill the very noticable void of not having a dog in our home, the new dog won't be a replacement, but an addition, to bring love and joy until we meet our beloved Angel at the Rainbow Bridge where we know she will be best friends with any new dogs we may have gotten.

......it's been just over 3 weeks since we lost Angel, but it feels like months, each day is filled with such a distinct awareness of her absence from our home, and I am dreading going thru the holidays without her.

A new dog should help lessen the pain somewhat, but I'm not sure if we are going to be able to find what we are looking for anytime soon, but we sure hope we do. I do a lot of searching each day and have many people aware of what we are looking for. There have been dogs I saw that I would love to get, but they are too far away, the distance limiting factor is due to the fact that my wife and I take care of her very elderly mom who is not up to very long trips, and we would all need to go in person see a potential new dog so we all can decide if she is the right one for our family, so we are limited to trying to keep the distance to about no more than 1 1/2 hours one way if possible (from Winnsboro, South Carolina). We want a new dog as soon as possible, but this is a serious decision and she has to be the right one for our family, so making the right choice has to take priority over getting one fast. (....but we want one soon !)

Hey Everyone ! (this post will happily close out this thread :-)

I didn't have time to post anything yesterday, why ?

.....because we found our new daughter, and she was just what we had been looking for, both in looks as well as temperment and personality !

When my wife and I saw her picture on Petfinder we fell in love, and when we met her in person it confirmed and reinforced that love many times over !

Below is a picture of Xena, our new border collie mix (border collie and beagle) she is about 9 weeks old and has a very sweet and loving temperment and personality.

We adopted her on Monday Nov. 26th after seeing her posting on Petfinder on the 25th, and she is already feeling relaxed and at home and is really bonding with us, she is like a shadow who wants to be next to us every minute :-)

This is her picture from Petfinder, we'll see about posting some "at home" pictures later -

post-14161-034028800 1354053683_thumb.jpg

Hey Everyone ! (this post will happily close out this thread :-)

I didn't have time to post anything yesterday, why ?

.....because we found our new daughter, and she was just what we had been looking for, both in looks as well as temperment and personality !

When my wife and I saw her picture on Petfinder we fell in love, and when we met her in person it confirmed and reinforced that love many times over !

Below is a picture of Xena, our new border collie mix (border collie and beagle) she is about 9 weeks old and has a very sweet and loving temperment and personality.

We adopted her on Monday Nov. 26th after seeing her posting on Petfinder on the 25th, and she is already feeling relaxed and at home and is really bonding with us, she is like a shadow who wants to be next to us every minute :-)

This is her picture from Petfinder, we'll see about posting some "at home" pictures later -

I just stopped back to check this thread, and am so happy for you.

How wonderful you found such a sweet little girl. 9 weeks -- oh my. I have not had a baby pup for many years. Nothing is more adorable than a puppy! Please enjoy this wonderful time when she is so little and fluffy and cute!

Border collie and beagle? She will be a cutie pie. And how great you will have her at the holidays!

What a lucky little girl Xena is! My best wishes for happiness for her and your family. (and yes! please share pix of her as she grows...oh my, they do grow so very fast!)

I just stopped back to check this thread, and am so happy for you.

How wonderful you found such a sweet little girl. 9 weeks -- oh my. I have not had a baby pup for many years. Nothing is more adorable than a puppy! Please enjoy this wonderful time when she is so little and fluffy and cute!

Border collie and beagle? She will be a cutie pie. And how great you will have her at the holidays!

What a lucky little girl Xena is! My best wishes for happiness for her and your family. (and yes! please share pix of her as she grows...oh my, they do grow so very fast!)

Thanks, and she is so loving, giving my wife and I kisses and loves to be held.

We went thru a scare Thursday with Xena, the night before she started having diarreah which we figured was not unusual for a 9 week old puppy weaned from her mother just a few weeks before, and also that the SPCA was feeding different foods they get donated so they could not tell me what she had been eating recently so what we were feeding her was likely a sudden change in her food, added to that the initial stress of getting used to a new home.

What scared us was that as Thursday went on in addition to having diarreah she also started being leathargic and not wanting to eat or drink, she threw up just a little mucus but only a few times, when we realized it was more than just diarreah we called the vets and they would have seen her on Friday, so were were praying and hoping in the meantime, and when I though she wanted to go out to potty again around 8:30 Thursday evening, she did not show any interest in going out the front door, what it was is that all of a sudden after not eating or drinking all day she got her appetite back in a big way and was eagerly eating her food plus some canned pumpkin and was drinking water, and then she was no longer lethargic but back to her frisky puppy-like running around. She still was going potty a little more frequent than normal but that is understanable, we are so relieved, she is still acting normal and frisky today and my wife is going to watch her today while I am at work and make sure she still gets some pumpkin with her food, we got some carrots for her also.

I guess it is normal to go thru that with a 9 week old puppy, it just that we had no experience with one that young before, the last one we adopted 15 years ago was 5 months old and I guess was past that stage of their digestive system maturing.

We are so relieved at her tremendous improvement and thank God for being past that scare as new "parents".

• 6 months later...

There is a 6 month old slick coated border mix near me. She shouldn't be bigger than the adverage border collie. She has the traditional coloring and markings. Ears stand up. She is spayed and utd on everything. Shes a sweety.

http://images.craigslist.org/3Ea3G83Jb5r25E15s7d692d45932fc1b117bb.jpg

Her Bio: Frida is a very playful and spunky little girl. She weighs around 25lbs now and will be around 40-45lbs as an adult. She loves to play and would love an active home. She is great with other dogs. She spends her day wrestling with her foster brothers and sisters and is learning house manners and potty training. We are also working on basic commands and crate training. She is up to date on shots, spayed, and microchipped.Application, home check and adoption fee of $150 required to adopt.You can text me at 504-975-3923 for more information.

I DO NOT think she is corgi mix as the shelter she was pulled from said blue heeler. I'm thinking lab X border collie.