BC Boards

Looking for a specific type of Border Collie mix

JoElla1_Sept12.jpgsomething like this?? http://cbcr.org/courtesy.html

She's somewhat close to what we're looking for, but not quite, the thing is the listing said they require you have a fenced in yard to adopt, we have 1 1/2 acres but it is not fenced in at this time, we would take our dog out for exercise on a leash for now and get some fencing up in the future when we are able to do so. But thanks for checking and letting us know !

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure it could be arranged. You could use a matched pair of stilts. And I bet she's fostered not too far from you. ;)

Gary,

I seriously would not hurt for you to check your local shelters. Border collies and mixes thereof land in shelters all the time (such dogs regularly show up in my local shelters), and you might just find a little gem waiting for you. It means going to the shelters (I'd suggest checking all the shelters in neighboring counties within an easy drive--you could make a day of it), but you could pretty much instantly save a life if you find a dog that appeals to you. Some of these shelters are always at capacity and dogs may never make it on to Petfinder or other sites (this is especially true of rural shelters where volunteer help is limited and there just are no real advocates for the dogs).

J.

Thanks for the ideas, our local shelter was the first place we checked and the lady there was real nice and said she would check around and watch for what we are looking for - but nothing so far.

Someone on another forum mentioned craigslist, which I guess could be a possible source, but I'm a little leary about what you might get from there.

Well my point was not to just look at your country shelter, but the surrounding counties as well. I can get to at least 5 shelters, maybe more, within half an hour's distance of where I live. The way border collies and mixes turn up in the local shelters around here, I'd be surprised if the situation weren't the same in SC. And shelters won't have the same stringent requirements as many rescues.

J.

Well my point was not to just look at your country shelter, but the surrounding counties as well. I can get to at least 5 shelters, maybe more, within half an hour's distance of where I live. The way border collies and mixes turn up in the local shelters around here, I'd be surprised if the situation weren't the same in SC. And shelters won't have the same stringent requirements as many rescues.

J.

Very good point indeed, even though my local shelter had checked with some other places I agree it would be best to make a list of all shelters in surrounding counties and be proactive in checking them out myself.

My link

Never used this site before, don't know how good or bad it is, but it might be worth checking out?

It seems to be a legitimate site, but only gave one result for a 100 mile radius of us, it said if there were few results it was because they have problems getting shelters to list their dogs with them.

Thanks for taking the time to share it though !

You might want to check out some of the dogs at Atlantic Region Cemtral BC Rescue, especially this girl:

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/23451355 (Shayla)

I'm not affiliated w/this rescue but have heard good things about it.

Aw, she looks so sweet and they say she is a people dog - definitely seems to fit what we are looking for both in looks and temperment, but the only problem is she is too far away for us to travel (about 10 hours each way) as we live about 25 miles north of Columbia South Carolina.

While we would prefer to stay within about a 1 - 2 hour drive, we could travel somewhat further, but 10 hours each way would be very difficult for us.

Why are the few we seen that we would want all so far away :-/

Based on what I understand from another poster - shelters normally wouldn't transfer dogs out of state to other shelters simply based on the hope some individual from the general public who is looking for a specific type they haven't been able to find locally will adopt the dog after it's transferred. (it would be nice if they occasionally took a chance and made an exception though) Since it seems that is unlikely to happen I guess we'll just have to try to be patient and hope it don't take months to find locally what we are looking for :-/

question - that listing lists her as an "adult" but says she is about 1 year old, is there a standard set age where they are considered "adult" ?

I have seen pet sites that list the age search function with choices such as "puppy or baby" "young" "adult" "senior" - are there set standard age ranges for each of those choice or does it vary from site to site ?

We are looking for about 5 months to about a year (and will consider younger or older up to about 2 years)

Since it seems that is unlikely to happen I guess we'll just have to try to be patient and hope it don't take months to find locally what we are looking for :-/

Given how narrow your requirements are, including a desire to travel no more than an hour or two, I'd say patience will serve you well because it certainly may take a while for all your criteria to be met.

J.

Given how narrow your requirements are, including a desire to travel no more than an hour or two, I'd say patience will serve you well because it certainly may take a while for all your criteria to be met.

J.

Well, some of my criteria is a must, some are more as strong preferences, and I could drive further if it was a dog that I felt I would be pretty sure of getting and it not just be a maybe. A big part of our travel situation is because my wife and I look after her very elderly mom (and her mom is not really up for long trips) and we can't leave her alone for long extended periods, if it was a dog we both felt pretty sure about I could go on an extended trip by myself to meet the dog, but it would it would be so much better if both my wife and I could meet the dog before deciding as she would OUR "daughter" :-)

.......we so hope it is sooner rather than later :-/

Just to add to the torture a bit....even further away!

iyo7r6.jpg

Lady is possibly available but talk about distance! But it goes to show, you can find what you want, although sometimes what we want is not what we need, but it may take a bit. But they are out there!

Just to add to the torture a bit....even further away!

iyo7r6.jpg

Lady is possibly available but talk about distance! But it goes to show, you can find what you want, although sometimes what we want is not what we need, but it may take a bit. But they are out there!

Yep, another sweet looking BC, sometimes you wish you could get them all !

While so far the ones we had wanted were out of reach, I have to believe that one like we want will become available reasonably close by before too long (we hope), while it has seemed like months, it hasn't quite yet even been 2 weeks since we started searching. I guess after 15 years of having had a very loving playful dog as part of our family, each day now seems so long and our home feels so empty without one :-/

Here's the opposite point of view. I'm one of those people who like looks....my first rescue was a mix and picked on personality....and he IS our heart dog.

After boarding a BC mix, I was thinking that I always liked those BC dogs and maybe I'd just....peek....on the internet.....not really gonna get one, you know (yeah, right!)

So here was my criteria (after all, who would find ALL this in one dog): Female, spayed, Black and White classic markings, rough coat, 1 1/2 years old (love that age to adopt) and....with some kind of registration just in case I wanted to do some kind of dog activities. Impossible, right? But I still continued to look.

So one morning I go on the internet and, guess what? ALL of the above...right down to every detail!! Courtesy listing in a rescue (dog still with owner.) Called owner immediately and we talked. Drove 4+ hours (not bad) to get her. And yes, I gladly made a donation to the rescue.

Fast forward three years later. I had been talking over the years about my next BC (yes, I had TOTALLY fallen in love with the breed.) First I thought I'd like a B&W split face (I never cared for the red dogs.) But the more I looked at those red dogs on this web site, the more I liked them. So then I thought, hmmm, what about a red & white split-face. So I mentioned it to a few friends but never really pursued it....just checked sites periodically. Then one day a friend called and told me the dog of my dreams was on a local shelter web site. Yep. A red and white split face! Been with me for over a year now; he's come a long way and is in agility class now; just love him to pieces!

The only BC look I never liked were those smooth coats. Well, you guessed it. After more time on this web-site, I decided that my next one will be a smoothie. There's a smoothie mix at Agility class that I oggle every time I see him. It will be a while till I get another...I am very busy enjoying my time shaping my other two...but a smoothie will probably be my next pursuit.

I'm not disagreeing with those who are telling you to go with personality. I probably should have posted this on the True Confessions post....yes, I am a closet "type-addict." And I am now also a "rescue" addict (also thanks to this site.) *sigh* life is good.

So I guess my point is...it's not impossible to find what you like...I've done it twice!! :D

Here's the opposite point of view. I'm one of those people who like looks....my first rescue was a mix and picked on personality....and he IS our heart dog.

After boarding a BC mix, I was thinking that I always liked those BC dogs and maybe I'd just....peek....on the internet.....not really gonna get one, you know (yeah, right!)

So here was my criteria (after all, who would find ALL this in one dog): Female, spayed, Black and White classic markings, rough coat, 1 1/2 years old (love that age to adopt) and....with some kind of registration just in case I wanted to do some kind of dog activities. Impossible, right? But I still continued to look.

So one morning I go on the internet and, guess what? ALL of the above...right down to every detail!! Courtesy listing in a rescue (dog still with owner.) Called owner immediately and we talked. Drove 4+ hours (not bad) to get her. And yes, I gladly made a donation to the rescue.

Fast forward three years later. I had been talking over the years about my next BC (yes, I had TOTALLY fallen in love with the breed.) First I thought I'd like a B&W split face (I never cared for the red dogs.) But the more I looked at those red dogs on this web site, the more I liked them. So then I thought, hmmm, what about a red & white split-face. So I mentioned it to a few friends but never really pursued it....just checked sites periodically. Then one day a friend called and told me the dog of my dreams was on a local shelter web site. Yep. A red and white split face! Been with me for over a year now; he's come a long way and is in agility class now; just love him to pieces!

The only BC look I never liked were those smooth coats. Well, you guessed it. After more time on this web-site, I decided that my next one will be a smoothie. There's a smoothie mix at Agility class that I oggle every time I see him. It will be a while till I get another...I am very busy enjoying my time shaping my other two...but a smoothie will probably be my next pursuit.

I'm not disagreeing with those who are telling you to go with personality. I probably should have posted this on the True Confessions post....yes, I am a closet "type-addict." And I am now also a "rescue" addict (also thanks to this site.) *sigh* life is good.

So I guess my point is...it's not impossible to find what you like...I've done it twice!! :D

Thanks for sharing that !

While we do have a strong preference on a specific "look" we also realize the tremendous importance of personality and temperment and with all the new dogs continuing to become available I would have to believe we can find our new dog with both the look as well as personality/temperment we want.

Not that we would not consider a smoothie, but I hope to find one with just slightly longer hair than a smoothie, but not the real long hair that makes it a challenge to keep from matting.

We also prefer to get our new dog from a shelter or rescue, our last dog we adopted 15 years ago from a family that simply did not have the time for her and I guess she might have ended up in a shelter if they could not have found a new family for her themselves, but we're so glad they found us first !

.....and we know what you mean about falling in love with the border collie breed, the border collie we had for 15 years was both so loving as well as intelligent and had such unique ways that she was so much more like having a child than merely a pet, we truely considered her as family - and still do !

I am not a "type" person - I love every dog I meet. (Though... I have a thing against the retriever-type coat that feels oily and tends to carry a stronger scent than I care for.)

So, here are some Petfinder dogs who pop up when you type in your zip code:

Thelma, a beautiful red girl: http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/24491227

Pixie, a BW girl: http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/23708442

Ace, a BW boy: http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/23708396

Fionn, a 9 month old BW boy: http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/24579259

Malcolm, a BW boy: http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/23876429

Charlotte, an OMG-cute BC-corgi mix, tri-color: http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/24120257

Cali, a gorgeous, candy-colored Aussie/BC mix: http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/23117163

Seriously, if I were on the hunt for a dog, I would be TOAST playing around on Petfinder for your local area. :)

Mary

I am not a "type" person - I love every dog I meet. (Though... I have a thing against the retriever-type coat that feels oily and tends to carry a stronger scent than I care for.)

So, here are some Petfinder dogs who pop up when you type in your zip code:

Thelma, a beautiful red girl: http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/24491227

Pixie, a BW girl: http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/23708442

Ace, a BW boy: http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/23708396

Fionn, a 9 month old BW boy: http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/24579259

Malcolm, a BW boy: http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/23876429

Charlotte, an OMG-cute BC-corgi mix, tri-color: http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/24120257

Cali, a gorgeous, candy-colored Aussie/BC mix: http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/23117163

Seriously, if I were on the hunt for a dog, I would be TOAST playing around on Petfinder for your local area. :)

Mary

Thanks Mary, we really do appreciate your help, and our heart does go out to every dog that needs a home (sometimes I wish we could get them all :-) but not to sound picky but I am a "type" person - for both "look" as well as temperment/personality. Some of our preferences are "musts" like female, (prefer spayed), and not too old (prefer no more than 2 years old), and some are just strong preferences, like hair length not too long. Also, occasionally a listing will state you must have a fenced in yard, we have a very large yard, but it's not fenced in yet and we would take the dog out on a leash. (and I agree with what you said about preferring a dog without an oily coat that is more likely to get a strong scent - especially since ours would be an inside dog except for outdoor play and exercise times)

Okay, you've gotten lots of good suggestions. I think the rest is on you. None of us can find you the perfect dog, as evidenced by all the suggestions here that aren't suitable for one reason or another. You and your wife are going to have to do the necessary legwork to find the perfect dog of your dreams. No one else can do it for you. Good luck.

J.

And I personally think that because of those very narrow selection criteria, you risk missing out on great dogs...

I just cringe at the thought that the fact I prefered a bit longer hair had made me pass up on Gláma. Because of her I favor smooth dogs now :lol: .

I agree with everything the responders have said, and especially this.

I don't think I've ever ended up with what I thought I was looking for.

The shopping list when we were looking for a BC dictated a smallish b/w medium coated bitch with drop ears - we ended up with a leggy short coated dog with one pricked and one mostly half mast ear. He is b/w though, and a BC. Guess what I think I now prefer.

I will start with a shopping list next time too, but I will be equally willing to depart from it for the right temperament. And I will be prepared for the right dog to come my way.

Also, occasionally a listing will state you must have a fenced in yard, we have a very large yard, but it's not fenced in yet and we would take the dog out on a leash.

Surely it wouldn't be too expensive to fence off a small part of your land with something like deer netting even as a temporary measure? I'm sure a dog would be happier being able to mooch around free without being on leash all the time.

Would you pass up what looked like a possible perfect fit for the sake of a bit of fencing?

My first Border Collie I wanted a black and white dog with a wide blaze and prick ears. The breeder picked my puppy and sent me a tri color with brindle points, a narrow blaze and mismatched ears. The second he walked out of the carrier at the airport I was his human. I couldn't ask for a more loyal, intelligent friend. He became the most handsome dog ever in my eyes.

Some years later I purchased a smooth coated, red and white pup with green eyes. I had always wanted that exact combination. Unfortunately, we didn't get along. I tried so hard to make it work, but in the end we were not right for each other and I sold her.

Do not let arbitrary requirements about how a dog looks ruin your chances of getting the right dog for you.

BTW, here is an affordable, easy to install fence solution. They ship kits right to you.

The last time I went "dog huntin'" I was aiming for this:post-10533-096544600 1352677421_thumb.jpg

The most perfect and beautiful dog in the world. Sweet, easy to train, in good health all his life.

What I came home with was this:post-10533-019023500 1352677548_thumb.jpg

The most perfect and beautiful dog in the world. Sweet, easy to train, in good health all her life. (So far) And the absolute best dog in the world.

My advice is (though I have scant hope of it being taken) don't let the packaging destroy your chance at your next "best dog in the world", or try to cram the ghost of your last "best dog in the world" into an animal who may have even more to offer you. They are different creatures. Try to be open to something wonderful and different. You won't regret it.

After raising our (black and white) BC from a puppy, at just barely six years old, he suddenly and violently attacked me without warning. Had my husband not been home at the time, I'm sure he would have killed me. We had to have him put down; vet said it was probably a brain tumor. I was devastated at losing him, dealing with the physical wounds and PTSD after the attack.

I wanted another Border Collie puppy. I needed another Border Collie. I searched obsessively, nightly, into the wee hours of the morning, looking for another Scooter. We went through several rescues, even worked with a breeder that we thought was reputable, but nothing ever seemed to work out.

Then one morning I was looking at a local rescue's site, as I had done numerous times before, and a face jumped out at me. I filled out an application on line and met our boy two days later. A ten year old rough collie named Daniel. Not at all what I had been looking for, but, as it turns out, exactly what I needed. He was sweet, gentle, goofy, nonthreatening. Even then, it took some time for me to relax around him, always looking for an escape route, expecting him to go off like Scooter had.

A year later, he's settled in nicely, in pretty good shape for a senior and is now a registered therapy dog, making visits with me to nursing homes and hospitals. He ended up being my therapy dog first. :)

I understand your aching for another Border Collie; I would still like one again some day, but Daniel has been a Godsend. And even though he's nothing like Scooter, we sometimes find ourselves comparing the two, but not in a negative way. Daniel is Daniel. :rolleyes:

Open your heart and the right dog will be happy to fill that empty space, BC or otherwise. Good luck in your search!

Okay, you've gotten lots of good suggestions. I think the rest is on you. None of us can find you the perfect dog, as evidenced by all the suggestions here that aren't suitable for one reason or another. You and your wife are going to have to do the necessary legwork to find the perfect dog of your dreams. No one else can do it for you. Good luck.

J.

I agree Julie, I had originally posted here "just in case" someone might had been aware of one available like we were looking for that was within a reasonable distance.

I did some research and have about 40 shelters/rescue places that I am contacting.

Thanks for everyone's patience, this is my first attempt at trying to find a specific type, our last dog pretty much "fell into our laps" 15 years ago when a family asked my wife if we wanted to adopt their dog they did not have enough time for.