BC Boards

Daniel's pad injured

Last Thursday I took Daniel, our ten year old Rough Collie, in to be groomed at the vet's. We've used this groomer for going on seven years; she always did a beautiful job with Scooter.

When she called to let me know he was finished, she said, "We had an accident." Apparently she was trimming the hair between his pads, a dog barked, he jumped and she cut his pad. Said vet had looked at it and bandaged it and all vet services pertaining to this would be free.

Ten minutes after getting him home, they called to say they had forgotten to give me the take home instructions and antibiotics. As I was reading vet report in the car, it said they had sliced his pad but she had glued it back on (?) and it should grow back. No jumping, running or stairs and to keep the bandage clean and dry. Too late--he'd already jumped, run and done stairs. Gave us an IV bag to slip over his foot when he went outside. Sunday morning, the whole wrap and bandage just fell off. We did the best we could to rebandage it (three times that day).

Anyway, he keeps licking and messing with the bandage. Put the E Collar on him Sunday with no issue, but he totally panicked once it was on, running around, bumping into things, panting and drooling. I took it off, fearing he'd injure himself further the way he was thrashing around.

Recheck with vet Monday. She wrapped and bandaged it again and wants a recheck on Thursday. I asked if he was in pain and she said no, it was like having a hang nail. Hmm..looks like it would hurt.

Neither one of us have been sleeping much. I have him confined to our room at night and can hear him licking the whole time. This morning I finally just left the IV bag on his foot and he eventually fell asleep, but is now licking and trying to untie the gauze ties again. He has an appointment for another recheck tomorrow. Any suggestions how to get through the next 24 hours, and possibly longer, if it isn't healed yet? Poor guy has been a real champ though, even lifting up his paw without being told to so we could bandage it.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Foot injuries are really hard to heal because they can not be rested. Well... I guess you could tie up the injured foot and have a 3-legged dog for a while, but that is not really feasible.

Would using one of the commercially available dog booties be more comfortable for Daniel? He probably still won't like it, but it may be less irritating because it fits better.

What are they wrapping it with? Just gauze? Or are they using vet-wrap or Elastikon?

Jovi

Cone of Shame. Keep him calm, move furniture out of his way so he doesn't hit stuff with it.

If he's very upset, ask if you can give him a mild sedative, like benedryl. A half dose might calm him down enough to get used to the Cone.

Is his collie nose long enough that he could lick some peanut butter or cheeze whiz off the edge of the cone?

Good luck!

Ruth

You can get a soft padded collar, i got mine from pecto that the dogs have found a lot more comfortable and if they walk into furniture there is no loud bang. I have also used duct tape over a dog boot which worked for a couple of hours, at least it kept the dog busy for awhile.

But sometimes the only solution is a lampshade of some type.

They have it wrapped with gauze and vet wrap or Elastikon. Finally duct taped the IV bag on (they gave us that to use when we take him outside so it doesn't get wet). It's awkward, but at least it keeps him from trying to run around. Still licking at the leg, above the bag now. Will try the cone again. Thanks. :)

Ten minutes after getting him home, they called to say they had forgotten to give me the take home instructions and antibiotics. As I was reading vet report in the car, it said they had sliced his pad but she had glued it back on (?) and it should grow back.

I re-read this and the 'glued it back on' jumped out at me. Not unusual to glue skin slices together. I use Super-glue, but I am sure there is an equivalent medical glue that the vet used.

Jovi

I super glue my own cuts. Sometimes when I'm working in my glass I'll get a slice that is a little more than a bandaid but not big enough for a doctor. Out comes the super glue. Fix the cut and don't have to leave my project. It is actually pretty common practice among glassers.

I have never had the occasion to try it on my dog.

Poor Daniel! All I can add is, if the cone really troubles him, you might look for an inflatable collar. They are much softer, don't clonk into things, and still do the job. We had to get one for our little Aussie, when she was spayed, because every cone was simply HUGE on her and she was miserable. The inflatable versions are available at places like Petco and PetSmart. I think they run about $30, but it was worth our peace of mind and her health.

Best of luck with the poor guy. I've had enough cut paws/feet/toes to know that keeping the dog from licking and bothering the injury really is the best way. Get well soon, Daniel!

~ Gloria

Vet visit this a.m. Said she could barely see anything; no more bandages and wraps! He licked his foot nonstop for about a half hour, then settled down and has been sleeping peacefully (and I will now too). He's happy he can attend the big fund raiser for the pet adoption agency this Saturday, bandage and wrap free. :)

Thank you for all the suggestions and good wishes. doG forbid this should happen again, but if it does, I'll know how to deal with it. :D

On to the next adventure!

Sorry to hear.

Before getting my border collie I had raised german sheperds and labs.

Both of my sheperds and my lab has torn a pad at one time in their life.

The sheperds lived to be 16 and 17 and my lab is 13 now.

I would worry and continue to clean it and make sure it was not infected but to be honest it healed on its own.

My only concern is when my dogs tore their pads it was due to work and not a pair of clippers.