BC Boards

collar preference?

I use lupine collars as they are guaranteed for the life of the dog so I only have to buy a collar once.

My Lupines are on their second generation of dogs!! Tessa has Maddie's, Dean has Sammie's, and Bandit has Speedy's.

They are holding up very well.

I do like being able to wash them.

• 1 month later...

The rivet failed on one of my collars yesterday, resulting in an interesting session of working a brace team. I checked all the collars and another looks like it's about to fail. Seeing if I can swap them out. :mellow:

I had my previous collars from the same company (leather) for almost a decade without any issues. They had different rivets though.

Liz,

Are those Gun Dog Supply collars? I know the Lupine collars have a lifetime guarantee, but I was wondering if GDS did anything like that.

I've never tried to get a new collar with the guarantee because I always felt I more than got my money's worth, but I think of guarantees as a company's belief in their product.

• 5 weeks later...

I use a leather collar similar to the dog on this site's header. Bad ass looking dog BTW.....

However, I usually have Tio in a leather/nylon harness and that's what I connect the leash to. The collar is pretty much buried in his fur and is only there for tags, really.

I may be the only person in creation who just uses those rolled leather collars. B)

I started using them some years ago when we had all rough coated dogs, because the flat collars, whether leather or nylon, seemed to break the fur underneath and create little canyons in their coat that were visible even when the collars came off. Silly or not, I didn't like that how that looked. My current border collies are smooth coats, but Nick has long, dense neck fur and I'm just in the habit now of the rolled leather ones. ;)

~ Gloria

I used to use rolled leather, Gloria, but got away from them for the same reasons I got away from all leather collars. I actually love the look and feel of leather, but at the time my dogs did a lot of swimming (ocean, bay, ponds) and even with routine care the leather collars didn't hold up.

I recently purchased three Keepsafe breakaway collars. My pup is an independent little soul and there are folks at the farm who let her and my old dog out during the day. Kiss has decided that recalls are optional, so I was looking for a collar that would allow a drag line but not leave her at risk of getting caught on anything or being choked accidentally when wrestling with Birdie. I realize that they may leave breakaway collars lying about the yard, but this is my solution for letting Kiss go out with a drag so her recall can be reinforced and also letting her roughhouse with Birdie (who now also has a breakaway collar) without fear of them accidentally killing one another.

When we travel to trials their GDS center ring collars will go back on because they won't be in a situation where they'd be out in a fenced yard unsupervised by humans.

The breakaway collars are sturdy and are designed so that a leash can be attached to two D rings on either side of the "breaking point" to prevent that collar releasing when the dog is on leash and pulls or jerks (and also has a regular snap buckle). I am pleased with them and they are an ideal solution for my current situation.

http://store.petsafe.net/keepsafe-collar

Just another option for folks who might be in a similar situation.

J.

Dear Doggers,

I just bought two new beaded collars for my two trial dogs because I'm a sentimental fool.

Donald McCaig

Guess I am a sentimental fool, too, because I like to have "dress" fancy collars for my dogs for special occasions. :-)

I've got a few collars but the only one I use now is the Ruffwear Knot-a-Collar. Got it on sale and thought it looked cool, turned out to be my favorite. I have a long hair BC and the rope settles in the hair way better then a flat collar. It is a pain to put on and take off because it doesn't have a buckle, just two slip knots. He doesn't ever get tied out so that hasn't been a concern. I imagine that I would like a rolled leather collar because it would probably settle in the fur nicely as well, but Archer is always getting wet and dirty so it's just not worth it for me.

Dear Doggers,

Our nearest neighbor is half a mile from us, our farm is in a river valley between 186000 acres of uninhabited National forest and 18000 acres of uninhabited state game lands. Until they are too old or sick to go fifty feet from the house, my dogs wear collars. When a friend asks us to dogsit, first thing I do is put one of my collars with ph# & ID on the dog. It's an easy precaution and the dogs don't care.

A couple years ago we rescued an injured Australian Shepherd, got her repaired, somewhat mannerly and rehomed. I told the new owners to send me my collar when they had their own made. Month later I got a phone call from Northern Virginia (4 hours from the farm).

"We have your dog."

"Oh no you don't. I'm looking at my dogs."

"Well, it's a nice Australian Shepherd with your phone number on the collar."

Oops. So I called a friend who might have the cellphone # of the rehomers and called them and yes, they were visiting friends in Fairfax with their lovely dog and left her in the fenced back yard and somehow . . .

No harm done. Because the dog was wearing a collar.

Donald McCaig

I'll have to buy Risk an adult collar as I don't have any suitable spares. I had one picked out and was waiting for him to finish growing to get the right size but I'm having second thoughts as he's one of those smooth coated dogs with a ruff that covers the collar in parts. No point in buying a nice collar if it's going to be invisible.

I only buy collars if they are needed and they have to be practical, easy to take off and put on and washable. I'm not averse to an unusual design but it's not to of my list of criteria.

Lost dogs returned because they were wearing a collar reminds me of the time that one of mine lost his pretty plain and cheap collar out on the marshes. I had the dog but no collar. Next day a complete stranger knocked on my door returning the missing collar having tracked me down by the tag. Bless him - obviously I wasn't going to use a collar that had failed again but the thought and effort was much appreciated.

All of my dogs and even my cats, who never ever go outside, wear collars with identification at all times. I am very careful with my animals, but you just never know what might happen. An ID tag is easy for the person finding your animal - just call the number on it. Taking the animal in to be scanned for a chip is too much trouble for a lot of people, and some folks who don't have animals don't even know there is such a thing as a microchip. Also, because I live in a rural area where some dogs run loose, all of my tags, including the cat tags, say "If I am loose, I am lost. Please call!" Losing one of my animals is my worst nightmare, so I do everything I can to ensure it doesn't happen, and that if it does I will get them back.

I love the rolled leather collars for how they do not flatten my dogs' ruffs, but I switched to flat ones when I decided to get Boomerang tags.

I totally agree about ID tags being easier for most people who would find a lost pet.

That doesn't mean I don't have microchips, too, though. If a pet weren't actually lost but stolen, the collar and tags would most likely be removed. At that point, the only hope of identifying them would be the microchip.

Losing my animals is my worst nightmare, as well. That's why I have both types of ID, tags and microchips. ;)

I have tags and microchip too. I often think about taking off the collar at home so the neck fur "breaths", but I find I'm physically unable to do it, I begin feeling anxious. It's not rational as she is at home, locked inside, not going anywhere, but it makes me anxious if she's not wearing the tag. I begin imagining surreal scenarios where she does get out and gets lost.

Yeah, and I have nightmares about bad things happening to my dogs too.

I just got a soft, light leather collar for Callie and she seems to like it better than her nylon one. The previous one was at its size limit and rubbed her fur down. This one seems good, though we'll have to get a summer collar that's appropriate for wet activities. It seems to sit better on her fur without matting it down.

I used to use rolled leather, Gloria, but got away from them for the same reasons I got away from all leather collars. I actually love the look and feel of leather, but at the time my dogs did a lot of swimming (ocean, bay, ponds) and even with routine care the leather collars didn't hold up.

J.

Makes good sense to me! Fortunately - or unfortunately - our drought is such that getting too wet or lots of swimming is pretty much a non issue for me. My dogs only see water if they jump in a stock tank. ;)

~ Gloria