BC Boards

How to train an instant recall?

I've started using (dog) chocolate drops because she adores them.

In an unfamiliar-to-her field same thing happened- the person I was walking with let her off and she disappeared on a scent. I called, once, and she ran back to me at a sprint from the other end and sat down in front of me. Pretty much exactly what I'm looking for.

Now to get her to do it again...

• 1 month later...

I like reading updates on other people's threads so I figured I'd add one on my own.

She's got a fair bit better with the night thing. Her former 'good days' are now 'normal days'. It's harder to judge with the running off on a scent, because that's so infrequent- it hasn't happened since but then I wouldn't have expected it to.

• 8 months later...

So today was the first 'bad' day since March! Pretty damn fabulous, I must say, and that bad day was only because I've got sloppy and complacent over the last few months.

I love that dog. Must get a few more choc drops in and remember to keep reinforcing it. I don't like teaching a dog to eat something that smells like chocolate, but it works.