BC Boards

New Strains of Distemper Detected?

nancy in AZ

The AZ Humane Society has published the alert linked below.

https://www.azhumane...ealth_alert.pdf

Anyone familiar with specifics of this new strain? It states that pet owners should update their pets' distemper vaccines. Is there a different vaccine to address this particular strain or is the suggestion referring to the existing distemper vaccines? My understanding is that once dogs have been vaccinated and boosted with the canine distemper vaccine additional vaccinations confer no increase in immunity to those individuals. Just trying to figure out how to protect my pack best.

**Currently, there is no specific treatment or cure for the distemper virus nor is there a fool-proof test to confirm or deny the diagnosis. For dogs suspected of having distemper, it is imperative that they be checked by a vet immediately and isolated from other dogs within the home. In the event your pet is diagnosed with the distemper virus a thorough cleaning of your home with disinfectant is necessary.**

These 2 contradictory statements say it all for me. That and the fact they say it's a UK strain......grain of salt, imo.

I'm not seeing the contradiction. Is it the idea of taking a dog suspected of having distemper to a vet, even though there's no foolproof test to confirm the diagnosis? Doesn't mean there aren't tests that could indicate it's something other than distemper. Doesn't mean that a probable diagnosis couldn't be made. We often have no choice but to go forward on the basis of a diagnosis that's less than conclusive.

There are several statements in this press release that are not phrased as well as they could be (don't see anything about the UK, though), but I couldn't logically conclude on that basis that it should be ignored.

Nancy asks a good question, though, and unfortunately I don't know the answer.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my vets actually keeps mentioning to me how many cases of uri's who where previously thought of as possible distemper, are in fact a type of canine influenza.

Some of the smaller groups around here seem to see less cases of uri's in general since the vaccinations for the influenza are being given.

Also, I have always been told there are no definite tests for distemper?

Archived