BC Boards

reacting to dog walker

Hi, folks--I'm the owner of the BC that wouldn't go outside. We've made great progress with him, thanks to all the good advice we got here. Now I have another puzzling dilemma I'm hoping you can help me with.

We both work during the day and Morgan is crated while we're at work. For the past six months, we've had a neighbor/dog walker come at lunchtime and let him out. Some days he'll go out in the yard; other days he won't and that's OK. But since Memorial Day, he has refused to come out of his crate when she comes by, even for treats. This morning, I suggested she put a small piece of meatball (which he loves) just outside his crate. He came out just long enough to grab it, bared his teeth at her, and then went back in the crate.

I'm really troubled that he bared his teeth at her. Even more puzzling, when we see her away from the house (on the path, for example), he is fine with her, allows him to pet him, etc.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Thank you!