BC Boards

Compression sores? Treatment?

DieselsGirl22

My BC, Diesel, broke his RT ulna in two places. long story short he was in a splint for 3 weeks, then this last Wednesday was switched to a soft splint, he has a pretty bad compression sore closer to his chest on the front of his leg where the splint hit him. My vet said X-rays look good, but ultimately would have liked to see the splint on another week. Well the sore looked alot worse last night, and it was causing him to be pretty stressed out. SO the vet had me remove the splint tonight. As expected, the sore is pretty nasty, any suggestions on a safe topical to apply?

Thanks!

Vetricyn? Although my sister argues with me that it's only bleach water. My vet uses it, I use it and I've heard lots of others use it. And after arguing with me about it, my sister took her dog to her vet and she used it!

Good luck, How'd he do the damage in the first place?

Poor baby.

I do have Vetrycin already, and I'll try to find the honey stuff today.

I own horses, Diesel Was at the barn with me, I had my horse out in the arena, Diesel knows NEVER come inside the arena under any circumstance! I guess he saw something at the other end of the ranch and ran down the rail towards the back of the ranch, remaining sttill on the outside of the arena. But unfortunately my horse was going down the same rail, kicked out and struck him under the arena fence in the front leg. It was awful! I feel terrible. My dog has been around horses all his life, my horse has been around dogs all his life. Watched the whole thing happen. So it truly was a freak accident. Went to emergency right away...I'm hoping he will be able to go back to his frisbee leaping, sheep herding, agility star ways, otherwise I don't think I'll e able to ever forgive myself for letting my guard down.

Though that does little to make me feel any better.

Pippin's person- fascinating, never thought of coconut oil!

Bcnewe2- thank you everyone keeps telling me that, it was a fluke incident. And yes the honey thing is very interesting, I tried to find it in this area, seems the best option for the higher quality with the antibacterial properties is a holistic store, or online.

Got a call from my vet this morning checking up on D, I explained the sore in detail and he had me come pick up cephalexin for him. He suggested triple antibiotic ointment+pain relief for the next couple days. Then I'll probably try a more natural method. I myself being in the pharmacy field am not sold on over doing antibiotics!

:) thanks for your support everyone!

I will pipe in again about the honey. I really wish I'd taken pictures of the progress with Annie's incision. The improvement was almost immediate. I'm amazed at how well it worked and will not hesitate to use it again if need be, even on myself. I posted the name of what I have in the other thread, but here it is again:

Kruuse Manuka G Sterile honey wound dressing and it's 100% Leptospermum scoparius honey from New Zealand.

Good luck and I hope you get him all healed up soon!

I used vetericyn for a pressure sore on a dog's elbow (really deep, down through several layers of skin to the point where his vet wanted to do surgery to close it up) and it sped up healing quite a bit, so that we ended up not needing any surgery. It went from pretty much no progress at all and a MRSA infection we couldn't seem to get rid of, to visible improvement each day and no more infection. Also important was to keep pressure off the sore - I bought a new dog bed for his crate that was 2" thick foam with a fleece cover. Honey is an interesting idea - I'll have to remember that one if we ever get into a situation like that again.

This is such a timely discussion, as my Piper has a horrible some-kind-of-rash on her back that I thought was a hotspot, but is HUGE. I just applied Vetericyn this evening; looking forward to some kind of improvement tomorrow. I've not used it before.

We do use honey bandages with great success on injured dogs at work.

RDM

Comin' along, thanks! It does a really great job at clearing/drying up the sores, though overall the spot has been spreading faster than I can keep up with, though we may finally have a handle on it. She's also on Clavamox now to help fight any infection she may be harbouring. The Vetericyn also does a very nice job at soothing Dexter's chronic summer itchies too, so I'm pretty impressed.

Still feeling bad for Piper when I look at her though.

RDM

post-376-030872600 1347510318_thumb.jpg