BC Boards

Rubbing nose hard on floor -- squeaking it, too!

Is Cody weird because he often rubs his nose hard on the wood floor in our house, pushing his nose against the floor so hard it sometimes makes a squeaky sound? Sometimes he pushes his nose so hard it makes his face look a little crumpled.

I don't see any allergic reactions to anything like food, could this be an allergic reaction to something?

Does he do it after eating? Allie sometimes rubs her muzzle on the carpet or walls after she eats. I was told by a friend that it was an instinctual behavior left over from wolves who wiped their muzzles in the grass to clean the blood off after a kill (although I don't know if that is why the dogs do it).

Have you checked his teeth and gums to see if there is a problem there? Sometimes dogs rub their noses/muzzles when there is a dental problem.

Or maybe Cody just likes the feeling of the wood on his nose and the sound it makes. :rolleyes:

Deb,

Yes, usually pretty soon after he eats. Hmm, interesting that it could be left over instinctual behavior...

He still has adult teeth coming in but I don't think he's doing it because his teeth or gums are sore or infected, they look healthy.

Thanks!

My boys do it sometimes after eating, though it's generally when they've had a raw meal or treat as opposed to after kibble meals. The middle one, Pith, is pretty entertaining to watch since he'll practically throw himself all over the room as he rubs along the carpet.

LOL, Shelby does this as well... sorta ... after she drinks or eats something messy or gets just a little wet. she'll bolt into my room, (pete of course will open the door for her) and start rubbing her face on my bed. just throwing her self face first into my nice white sheets and whatnot... although my absolute "favorite" of the floor/body part quirks is the butt scoot after coming inside. Shelby prefers the couch :D

I don't think Cody is Weird... WELL he maybe weird :rolleyes: but unless he is hurting himself I would't worry about it. In fact I would break out a camera or Camcorder and get some "blackmale" footage :D and show us of course :D

Jess does this when trying to bury treats or chews.

treat on the floor, two minutes of nudging the floor (and squeaking nose) until she's happy it's sufficiently buried then walks away - only to return 5 seconds later and look very suspiciously at the treat wondering how it dug itself up!

she does the same in the garden but soil tends to move for her and burying is more succesful.

mom, cody hasnt been doing it lately, but when he did it, it was mostly when he was alone. do you think maybe it was because he wants some attention? as soon as we come over he stops. he also did at the farm. maybe he was doing it to keep himself busy when he was behind the gate. hmmm....i'll tell you if I see him doing it anymore. he doesnt do it when I come home from school.