BC Boards

Fatty lipoma on rear leg

KrisK

Cricket is 11 1/2. I just discovered a large lump on her hind leg. I suspect it's a fatty lipoma. I'm going to get her into the vet tomorrow. I've seen these on a dog's chest but is it common to have one on a back leg - above the knee joint?

I believe these are only issues if they get quite large and/or interfere with movement, etc. I've had a number of dogs with them and they usually are very benign and inoffensive. It never hurts to have it checked out, though.

Best wishes!

For some dogs, cleaning up the diet and/or environmental factors clears them up. Sometimes the body walls off toxins in fat pockets until it can deal with eliminating them, so increasing superfoods and antioxidants helps. Other times, it just appears to be a metabolism issue.

What would you recommend as "superfoods and antioxidants"? Our Megan has several small ones, Celt has one small one, and Dan has none. Our old Aussie, MacLeod, had several when he passed on and they were much larger than what these dogs have (and he did not have the benefit of the diet that our current dogs have so maybe...).

My poor dog has so many of these! Small medium, large, and extra large. Her largest one spans her ribcage on one side. I wish I had had it removed when she was younger. But I never could come up with the money for something that was not necessary. Now she is too old to risk surgery.

My terrier has a small one of these on his ribcage, and another in his groin. My vet told me just to keep an eye on them and if they grow we will discuss having them aspirated. My concern with aspirating unless it seems necessary is that sometimes when you mess with something like that which is benign, just messing with it can make the cells turn "bad", or can start something happening that you do not want. At least, that is my understanding. Maybe that's a myth, but it makes sense to me that it could be true.

What would you recommend as "superfoods and antioxidants"? Our Megan has several small ones, Celt has one small one, and Dan has none. Our old Aussie, MacLeod, had several when he passed on and they were much larger than what these dogs have (and he did not have the benefit of the diet that our current dogs have so maybe...).

Find a super green supplement that doesn't have green tea in it, or read the ingredient list on a few and order your own ingredients from swansonvitamins.com and give brightly colored fruits and veggies. I usually use berries. I hate to have to say it, but all organic. Some of what you are fighting against is all the junk they spray on foods.

It is indeed a fatty lipoma. However, given the size - about the size of my hand, and location just above her knee on the stifle - and it's her 'good' side (she's had hip surgery on the other side) I've opted to have it removed. So, she's having the surgery on Thursday.

She's on a very high quality, grain free diet but I'll look at supplements as well.

The surgery went well. Cricket is recovering nicely at home. She has a 6 1/2 inch incision and will get the stiches out in 14 days. I'm hoping she will leave the incision alone so she doesn't have to wear a cone...time will tell.

• 2 months later...