BC Boards

Newbie seeks advice

Hi, all

I am a GREEN newbie to this board and to stock dogs. My husband, Scott, and I are 55 and bought an old, run down mountain farm in WV about 2 years ago that we've been nursing back to life. Quite an adventure: we love it!

We are now ready to commit to livestock, and have decided to start with Babydoll Southdown sheep who will work to trim our barnyard (about 5 acres, including young fruit trees). We put deposits down for 5 ewe lambs, to arrive next spring, and we plan to get two rams the following year, and do careful breeding in order to increase our flock. Meanwhile, we also have about 35 other acres that, for now, is in mountain pasture for a neighbor's Angus.

We envision, at full development, that we will have a modest flock of sheep and probably a small (compared to commercial) flock of meat goats, too. Our general orientation is homesteading, not commercial production. We also envision getting into free-range chickens and turkeys. But, we're moving slowly so as to make sure that we can perform what we commit to. I'm a big researcher, so I've come here. :)

I'm learning a ton by reading through these forums, and my first and biggest question for you veterans is this: how do I know if a young dog (I mean, a puppy) is suited to stock work? Is it simply luck of the draw?

Given this question, it seems that rehoming a rescue dog that has been trained, such as with some dogs in posts I read here, makes a lot of sense. But, I'm totally green in my ability to train, and it seems we've missed the window for attending stock trials in our general area. We are dedicated to the farm's success and willing to put in the time/energy to read/research/learn to train and use a working dog. Does a rescue dog's "baggage" disqualify me from considering a rescue dog? Please advise, and TIA!

Marcia

I cannot tell you if getting a rescue is better then getting a puppy. I have no experience in that department. What I do know is that you farm is beautiful for this time of year. Good luck in wichever choice you do make. I can also tell you that uptill very reciently I have always gotten rescues, both as young pups and adults. I will be picking up my pup in two weeks from his breeder.

Thanks for the response! I guess to a Westerner, it might look like this picture was taken nowish. In fact, it was snapped last Feb ('12) when all the leaves are down so that you can see the bones of the land. It's about 2/3 of our acreage, and I thought it a good pic to post here so that people could see the kind of project we've taken on! ;)

I just purchased *Herding Dogs: Progressive Training* as my first book on this subject. I'm hoping to get some basic terminology and information under my belt as I continue to explore this fascinating new world.

Below is a pic of how the farm looks these days... I just love it here!

oct-front-gate1.jpg

Thanks again for the response! Anyone else have advice?

Thanks, about farm.

So... how would one find a good dog up for sale, and what would be a reasonable price for one? I would think that people would not readily part with a good, trained dog. Wouldn't they need it, if it were a good and trained dog???

Puzzled.

From what I have been able to understand... Those who sell their dogs that are older are looking to replace those dogs with younger ones. Many (if not all) that I have seen on this forum are very devoted to their dogs and wont sell when they get older. You might find one in rescue though. I am sorry I cannot give you any names of rescues near you though. I am from Nevada and have no idea what goes on over there. :"> I am sure there are others that can point you in the right direction though!

The farm is gorgeous! From a person who has absolutely zero real life experience, and is going by what I read on these boards, ( for many years now,) there are several reasons why a good working dog might be sold on:

1) Handler/dog don't 'fit' each other

2) Dog isn't keen enough for handler, but still probably good for maybe a smaller operation

3) Dog is a little too old for a larger operation, but good for a smaller operation

4) Change in circumstances for the owner - need to down size, etc - and a working dog needs a new home

There are probably more good reasons, just can't think of them. As to price, I don't have a clue.

Good luck!

Ruth and Agent Gibbs

You probably won't find a trained-up dog in rescue. Are you sure there are no more trials in your area (i.e., within a few hundred miles) this time of year? That would be the best place to go learn about the dogs and sheepdog folks in your area. You could also try your local sheepdog club--they may have events like fun days or clinics scheduled during the off season that would enable you to become part of the community and learn about opportunities to find retiring sheepdogs or started or finished sheepdogs for sale. Prices will range up to several thousand dollars for a fully trained young dog, but you can get a retiring or started dog for considerably less.

Your best option is to hook up with the sheepdog community in your area. Good luck.

Yeah, I'm a big pro-rescue person, but finding a fully trained working dog in rescue is going to be rare. Since you will need a working partner, vs just a pet or companion, I would say rescue is probably not the way to go. (for your first dog, because once you get a border collie, you'll want more, lol! and then you can get a nice rescue dog ;) )

I'm no help in finding one, but good luck. And your farm is beautiful!

Thanks, all, for your advice. Because of a PM from one of you, I have found a local group of both sheep herders *and* BC lovers/workers! Yay! Now, to learn!

Thanks again for the compliments on my farm, and for the great advice. I'll be continuing to glean here, and (I'm sure) be back with questions galore as I go. B)

I don't know where you are located in WV but there is a trial this weekend down near Orange VA and one during the week near Harrisonburg VA. There is another scheduled near Harrisonburg VA the weekend prior to Thanksgiving. There is a trial in Eastern TN the weekend of Oct 26-29. There is also one near Strasburg VA on Nov 10-11.

These are all trials where you might meet good handlers and make some contacts. Do be aware that not everyone who trials/trains dogs is necessarily the right person to "do business" with but these are all places where you will be able to watch dogs working, see a variety of handlers, and get to meet people.

As for why someone might be selling a trained dog, you have gotten lots of good reasons. For those who are limited in the number of dog they can keep/train/trial, sometimes they need to sell on a trained dog so they can bring up another, younger, maybe more talented dog, and are looking for a good, working, forever home for the older dog. It's simply a fact of life, not a cold-hearted attitude. And those people are often very happy to be able to ensure that the dog will have an active, working placement with a family that will appreciate and utilize him/her.

Or, they could have a dog that is just not going to work out as a trial dog but will be a perfectly useful farm dog. My two dogs that I use are neither trial material but they sure are helpful on the farm.

This sort of dog is a great opportunity for you to have a ready-to-work dog that will not only be useful but will also be able to teach you about working with a dog.

I purchased pups and would have been much better off if I had taken the advice to get a trained dog first - like horseback riding, a green handler and a green animal can be a recipe for disaster (or at least for a lot of counter-productive activity) compared to pairing an experienced animal with a green handler (or vice-versa).

I am located in North-Central WV, just east of Morgantown, by the way. Glad to meet you!

The trial in TN is in Limestone, barely across the border from NC/VA. You should try to come.

There are no border collie trialing associations in WV. The VBCA is in Virginia, NEBCA covers the northeast, all the way down to PA, there's the Ohio Valley stockdog association (OVSDA), and of course the KBCA (KY border collie association, which hosts the Bluegrass Classic SDT in Lexington every year). All of these associations can be found by Googling and all have members and contacts who could possibly help you find a dog. I don't know of anyone beyond Sue who is actively involved with sheepdog trialing (at least USBCHA type trialing) and also lives in WV.

The USBCHA National Finals will be held in the fall of 2013 in Middletown, VA, which is near Strasburg and not far from the WV border, depending on where you live in the state.

I am one of those people who is pathologically unable to pass on a retiree type dog, but I have been the recipient of such a dog and learned a great deal from her. She died this past spring at nearly 16.

The main reason a fully trained dog would be sold on is because a handler has younger up and comers and more open-level trained dogs than they can trial. Most trials limit you to two open dogs, occasionally three. If you have a nice older dog and several younger dogs who are coming along well, then logically it would make sense to move on the older dog, who is approaching the end of its successful trialing life (but may not actually be all that old). Such a dog can be a godsend to a small farm where the humans need help but don't really have the knowledge/skill to train their own dog from the start.

There are also dogs who don't have what it takes to be top trial winners but who are still good working dogs and would make someone an excellent farm worker. And as Ruth pointed out, sometimes a dog just doesn't mesh with a particular handler and so the handler tries to find a home/human more suitable for that individual dog.

I've always thought that a West VA farm would be an idyllic place to end up. I envy you your lovely farm.

J.

Thanks, so much, Julie and Sue

You all are so kind about the farm!

Sue: Since we're (sort of) neighbors, maybe we can meet sometime IRL! :D

I sure am thinking right now that an older, somewhat trained dog is the way we should go.

We live in eastern WV, in Pendleton County; Harrisonburg, VA, is--as much as anywhere--in our "back yard," though Monterey, VA is probably even closer. I have heard that there are some great folks down that way.

Thanks for the detailed information on trials, etc. above. Looking at those dates and places, we can be free mid-week, but not today so, do you know how I can find out about the one you, Sue, mentioned above in Harrisonburg next week? (If you want to "teach me to fish" you can point me towards resources where I can figure out where local trials are for myself... :rolleyes: )

Thanks again for taking the time to write all that, Ladies! I appreciate the help and advice!

Here is the link for the United States Border Collie Handlers Association list of upcoming sheepdog trials. You will not only see date and location, but also (on the right) contact information.

I personally would not bother with anything AKC (in particular) or other venue in looking for a dog that I was serious about working.