BC Boards

RIP Mr. Sissy & Pip

sea4th

Please be very careful about your furnace! Carbon monoxide is insidious -- no smell, no color, slightly lighter than air. Do you have carbon monoxide detectors? They aren't very expensive at the hardware store. I just popped over to Consumer Reports and found that their top rated detector costs $25 -- First Alert SA302CN. Also high rated were the Kidde PI2000 and Kidde PI9000, in the same price range. Anyone who has a combustion furnace -- gas, oil, coal, wood -- should have carbon monoxide detectors.

Just a word about carbon monoxide detectors. We had one go off on Christmas day a few years ago. After much brow beating, DH finally decided to call the fire department. He didn't want to disturb them on Christmas. :rolleyes: They came, checked things out and couldn't find any trace of carbon monoxide, but when they checked our detector they said that was the problem. They're only good for about 5 years, then need to be replaced. Also, when installing, don't hang them near the ceiling, like you would a smoke alarm. Best to put them closer to the floor. FWIW, when the alarm kept going off, we opened some windows. My brother, the firefighter guy :D said we shouldn't have done that. Told me that we should have just gotten out of the house, then called the fire department. By opening the windows, if there had been a leak, by the time they got there, it might not have been detectable.

Archived