BC Boards

barking when left tied up...

hi has anyone any suggestions to help, my bc lucky is fine when left in the house no problem at all.. but when taken to the shops and tied up out side a shop etc.. she barks constantly.. very embarassing.. i say quiet..and she sees me in the shop but wont stop till i go back to her..she is the same if left in the car..she is a noodle... if one of us stays with her in the car or outside the shop she is fine.. but doesnt like being left alone. :eek:

So don't keep her tied up? I don't know what things are like in the UK, but in the US leaving a dog tied up outside a store is just begging for the dog to be fed, kicked, teased, or otherwise messed with, if not simply set loose or stolen. It can be a very dangerous thing to do.

So this is just while you pop in to get something? Can you practice at home or somewhere it won't be embarrassing? Like, tie her up for a second, go in the house, and then come back? Hopefully you'd be able to reward her for being quiet.

Can you leave a toy or something like that with her, to keep her occupied for the moment you are gone?

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com

You know my dog Riven is the same way. Although we dont EVER tie her up, Im afraid she'd be teased or kicked or worse. We do leave her in the car for a few minutes. (Gas, fast food to go ect in cool weather, windows down a bit, with water of course)So, we've realized her barking is related to her seperation anxiety. We came home last night and heard her barking in her crate from outside. :rolleyes: Could that be it? People have suggested kongs as well - that doesnt work on her but maybe a stuffed kong for your dog would work?

I am sorry...but I had to laugh at this post - not because I thought your issue was funny.

I am in SAR and most of us have to train our dogs to bark. When the dogs are not natural barker, one of the methods is to tie the dog up to a tree and walk away from it. A lot of dogs learned to bark this way. So it is only natural for a dog to bark when you do that.

Good news is, you can reverse it. After training one of my dogs to bark constantly (non-stop is better, sometimes for 3-4 minutes), I had to train him not to bark unless he is working. My dogs are in the back of my car, in the kennel while waiting for their turns. Sometimes they are forced to watch other dogs work which is unbearable for them. He would bark and bark from the kennel.

I taught him 'shee' (with my finger on my nose) and walk away. Just like crate training, you have to do it slowly. I set up a situation where he wants to bark (but not hysterically)I tell him 'shee' if he stops, I click and treat. I increased the distance between us gradually. I also increased the duration before I click-treat so that he learns I want him to remain quiet. It took only a few days for him to learn not to bark when I tell him 'shee' in the kennel. Because I made it positve, I didn't ruin his 'bark-alert' when he is working.

thanks for all that i will try....

but i cant belive you cant leave your dog outside shops etc... kicked teased.. how can people be so cruel.. if you are walking down the road here or leave dog any where.. she would only be petted.. the only thing i would fret for is her being stolen.. that has really upset me...she goes most places with me that includes to the local shop.. the only place we would be reluctant to leave a dog is in the car.. if its hot....

the issue isnt leaving her for a few minutes while i pop in my local shop.. i have NEVER seen, or heard of in my area children being cruel.. or throwing stones at an animal..let alone a dog..

the issue was barking.. i would much prefer to leave her within distance of me keeping an eye on her.. than walking to my local shop and having to leave her at home...

I was lamenting this phenomenon in the US...very few people tie their dogs up outside now. I don't know when it happened, but it did so in my lifetime. When I was a kid growing up in NYC everyone tied their dogs up outside.

This is perhaps one of the more subtle indications that the quality of our civic culture is less sweet than it once was.

Are you sure she's ok when you leave the house?

You may not even know but this could be a larger seperation anxihety problem. Practicing will help though with the seperation too.

I have no problem leaving madison outside a store for a few minutes. I leave her somewhere I can see her and it's never for more then 5 minutes 'cause I do worry about someone grabbing her up but it doesn't cause her any problems. She's a real people dog and would rather be with me at the store.

Nes.

thanks nes. no she is fine in the house.. i have checked with the neighbours. it is only when i am in sight but she is not next to me.. she just wants to be involved with eveything.. but she does love her voice.. will bark a lot while playing too with excitement..

Unfortunately Ive seen many a time in different areas Ive lived in, kids trying to aim stones at cats/birds on there way home from school. Depends how the children are brought up I think, because if any of my 2 boys dared hurt an animal I would be completely shocked and mortified as they are so gentle and kind with animals.

luckydog cant you ask the shop assistant to come outside and serve you?? hee hee