BC Boards

Farm pics

airbear

This is the first time I've tried to take photos while working the sheep. I didn't get run over, though I definitely put my knee into something squishy more than once.

Lou holding the sheep off the gate:

DSC_8787.jpg

DSC_8789.jpg

Fetching the sheep, and no, I didn't get run over:

DSC_8794.jpg

Taking his flank:

DSC_8842.jpg

Navigating through the tall grass:

DSC_8845.jpg

And renewing his rivalry with the dreaded Black Head, the most uncooperative sheep of the bunch:

DSC_8796.jpg

The happiest dog in the world:

DSC_8807.jpg

DSC_8853.jpg

And we can't forget the biscuit eaters!

Another Kicking Bear photo:

DSC_8847.jpg

Hey Wick!

DSC_8828.jpg

Wanna work sheep?

DSC_8830.jpg

The boys holding paws:

DSC_8824.jpg

The Three Muskateers (Bear is getting concerned about the extended paw-holding):

DSC_8825.jpg

Bear is leaving:

DSC_8826.jpg

:rolleyes: to Bear - no self-respecting aussie would take that mushy thing for long.

Well, Bear is pretty open-minded, but prolonged paw holding? I mean, come on, what would the ladies think?

And Laurae, this field is surprisingly bereft of holes. In fact, it is just about the nicest field I've ever worked. And though I wish it were, it's not mine, it's where we go every Saturday that we can to work sheep. Still waiting for just the right property for us ... sigh ...

Lovely shots. I laughed at Wick's "Please no sheep for me" face, and at Bear's worried look at Lou's paw: "Hold it, pal. Just what do you think you're doing holding my paw?! I have a reputation to protect. Plus there's this paparazzi woman following us all the time, just in hope she can post an embarassing shot all over the internet. I'm telling you. That's what she does when she's not feeding us or playing with us.... Trust me on this one, I've been through a few things in my life, kid..."

Lovely shots. I laughed at Wick's "Please no sheep for me" face...

Isn't that pathetic? She's bombing around, having a good time on "her" side of the fence, and then I dare to suggest that she tries to work sheep? "I don't DO sheep, lady. I am a sport collie, designed for maximum speed and barkiness. You have confused me with my slower, more biddable roommates." :rolleyes:

I bet Bear is your favorite companion. Just guessing.

:rolleyes: Is it that obvious?

Yes, Bear is my favourite, partly because everyone else seems firmly divided between loving Wick and loving Lou, but mostly because Bear is the dog that has always done whatever I've asked him to try. He isn't flashy, or speedy, he whines alot, sleeps alot, always wants to be petted, and drools on you if you're eating. But he is my once-in-a-lifetime dog, the easiest dog to train, the best foot warmer, and an all-around cool dude. <end sappy tribute to big black dog>

:rolleyes: Is it that obvious?

Yes, Bear is my favourite, partly because everyone else seems firmly divided between loving Wick and loving Lou, but mostly because Bear is the dog that has always done whatever I've asked him to try. He isn't flashy, or speedy, he whines alot, sleeps alot, always wants to be petted, and drools on you if you're eating. But he is my once-in-a-lifetime dog, the easiest dog to train, the best foot warmer, and an all-around cool dude. <end sappy tribute to big black dog>

Bear sounds like my Boone......(albeit Hailey is my little musketeer)....

Great shots. Like the first one with the sheep looking over it's shoulder at you like, PAY ATTENTION!!! What are you doing back there, there is a wolf at the gate!!! (and what a handsome wolf at that!) All great pics, but the no sheep for me set is so sweet!

What great pictures! I love smiling dogs. One question: do the dogs bark while working sheep or are they quiet?

Lou doesn't bark while working (in fact, Lou doesn't bark at all), nor do any of the border collies that I've seen work. Now Bear (my aussie) will bark occassionally when working, but it's just one "WOOF", usually as he buzzes the sheep. It's kinda like he's yelling "I'll be back!!!".

(rummages through Photobucket for picture of Bear barking while working...) Ah yes, here we go:

bear6.jpg

I haven't seen very many aussies work, so I can't say if they are barky or not. Also, Bear is not a particularly talented sheepdog, so I certainly am not holding him up as the gold standard of the working aussie. But I think he's really cool. :rolleyes: