BC Boards

Large lump - behind shoulder

KrisK

I just found a fairly large lump (small egg sized) on Cricket. It is located behind her shoulder - about 3-4 inches. I don't believe it was there yesterday. She does not appear to have any pain associated with it because I could touch it easily. Since she is very reactive, I think she would have let me know immediately if it was painful. I know that dogs can develop fatty growths, but seems to have come on very suddenly. I will certainly take her to the vet but in the meantime, does anyone have any idea what this might be?

Thanks

She had her vaccinations in June, so I doubt this is a reaction. I called the vet and will be taking her in Monday. He said to bring her in immediately if there is any change in the size. Cricket's just 2 1/2 yrs old which seems very young for fatty tumours. Anyway, I'm hoping it stays the same size or gets smaller over the weekend.

Cricket's at the vet today. The preliminary diagnosis is an abcess possibly caused by the cats..although she does not have any difficulty with our cats, so I'm doubtful about that. He's going to shave the area to see if there is some other foreign body. She's on antibotics, and not a happy camper, right now...she REALLY doesn't like the vet's office and I have to leave her there all day while I'm at work.

The diagnosis, is a 'bacterial infection' of unknown sources causing an abscess....in other words, they can't seem to pin it down to any real source. Apparently, one of the other vets in another town has been seeing a number of these cases. From what the vet said, they can't get enough bacteria to form a proper culture She did not have any puncture wounds and the abscess had already started draining on its own. The vet aspirated the balance and she's on antibotics.

Cricket was a VERY good girl at the vet's and was SO happy to get back home with the rest of the gang. She is in fine spirits, and except for a bare spot where she was shaved, you would not know that anything had been wrong.

Oh...I'm about 100 km. west of Sudbury and about 220 km. east of Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan.