BC Boards

Puppy Vaginitis: Spaying vs. Heat Cycle

burdock

Vaginitis, our puppy Emma has this condition since we got her, we use unscented baby wipes after she pee-pee's to keep her area clean, and the vet has recommended waiting till after her first heat cycle to spayed her, has any one else gone through this problem. The 24th of this month she is 5 months old, and he said it varies when they go into heat the season has an effect on the cycle he say and I have also read that it could be anywhere from 6 to 11 months until first cycle.

Vaginitis, our puppy Emma has this condition since we got her, we use unscented baby wipes after she pee-pee's to keep her area clean, and the vet has recommended waiting till after her first heat cycle to spayed her, has any one else gone through this problem. The 24th of this month she is 5 months old, and he said it varies when they go into heat the season has an effect on the cycle he say and I have also read that it could be anywhere from 6 to 11 months until first cycle.

To be honest I don't think waiting makes a difference. I see puppies spayed at 8 weeks and I guess long term it might show but, otherwise it's pretty uneventful for them. The downside of waiting is like me I had an appt for Maddie in early Jan and she came in over the Christmas holidays. Things were very busy and It was hard to open my door because I never knew when my neighbors Unneutered male Bc would be standing there waiting for her to come out to play.

Heat too much of PIA for me to deal with ever again.

If you have no problems controlling potential breeding - and that means her being under the physical control of *adult* human 100% of the time during the full 3 weeks - then waiting as your vet recommended is best. You can do a search on the boards for the benefits of waiting, and the risks/benefits of early spay and neuter. You will find the risks of cancer are actually much smaller than is often stated, and that for a responsible owner waiting can be much better for the dog's overall health.

I specified adult above because most people's kids can't be trusted to watch the dog, nor can they prevent attention for an unexpected male dog if once shows up when you are in the yard. You will also need to figure out alterantive exercise if you typically use public places like dog parks.

She will need to be crated more, because even if she is tidy she will drip some. It's best to get her used to the crate before this happens.

I went through multiple rounds of vaginitis and bladder infections with my Aussie. Her issue was complicated by an inverted vulva ("pee pee"). It took not just one, but 2 heats to mature her enough to correct the problem. That's pretty rare, and usually one heat will take care of it. I don't know what you are cleaning her with, but Sassy used to try to cool her own inflammed fanny off by sitting in her water bowl or the pond. In fact it got pretty funny that she'd pee, then run to rinse her butt off. Too smart....or not smart enough because she didn't order her own bidet online? ROFL

The increased risk of cancer most vets talk about is *mammary* cancer, not ovarian. The risk of ovarian cancer is completely gone after a spay. The mammaries remain, and however much hormone exposure they had remains as well.

Not to take your problem lightly ;-) but I couldn't help but chuckle when I read about vaginitis (sorry!) When Stelly was a puppy she had a case of that. she was quite young, and the vet said it was common, she just didn't clean herself quite good enough. A day or so later I took her out to her breeder, he asked me how she was doing, I told him the story, he paused, then with the most serious look on his face, he said, "put some gravy on it! :rolleyes: OMG I about spewed ;-) I still crack up everytime I think about it. Later on I told my vet (who is a rather serious, straight laced guy) the look on his face was priceless, then he said, ya know, thats not a bad idea! ;-)

Betty

Ya I am Emma dad and i joked I never wiped so much p---y in my life, but on the other side, the vet says that after her first heat the uterus will tilt and this vaginitis should take care of itself, and then she can be spayed. I do not know of any male dogs in our area, but that does not mean they cannot come out of the woodwork. We own 8 acres of woods, grass ,and mountain. I guess walks at the park or the walking trail could bring on problems with male dogs. Well will have to wait and see what happens, I have had 4 females in my life but never had one go through heat cycle so i probably will be in for a treat. Thanks for all the help.