BC Boards

at what age are border collies fully grown

they are about full height at 10 months but will fill out and plates will close closer to 12 months - 18 months old. At 9 months Dazzle only weighed about 20 pounds now she is 30 pounds at 17 months.

I think that is about right anyway!

Originally posted by bc friend:

My experience has been they have their full height and length by 1 yr but continue to fill out and deepen in the chest area until 2-1/2 to 3. (They're kind of like teenage boys who are 6' at 18 but continue to "fill" out until they're around 24-25).

Thanks for posting that. I thought I was only imagining Violet getting bigger! But her foster mother commented on the same thing last week when she saw her for the first time in a month or so.

I've had Violet four and a half months now - her foster family found her as a stray so we don't really know her age. But the vet estimated 1 or 2 yrs old when they took her in, and then they had her a year, so she was somewhere between 2 and 3 when she came to live with me. She's filled out *a lot* - I've been worried I'll wind up with the only fat BC known to science. But it's not just weight - her bark has gotten deeper and she seems bigger through her chest.

She's getting a lot more confident, too - I don't know if it's her increased size and maturity, or the fact she no longer lives with two pushy ACD's :rolleyes: . But if I were just meeting her now, I don't know if she'd remind me so much of a shy little violet - I might name her Nasturtium or something instead! :D

Mentally or physically? Physically, I'd say about 24 mos., but possibly a little longer - I think it really depends on the lines. I have two girls that both gained a half inch in height after they turned 2 yrs. old, but they come from a line that matures very slowly.

Mentally - possibly never! Sorry, couldn't resist :rolleyes: It just seems that way some days!