by Vergil Holland

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Alchemist

Alchemist

• Registered Users
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 06:16 PM

Couldn't decide whether to post this in the "Trial Tips" or the "Books and Videos" section. I wanted to alert anyone who might have missed it, though, to a new book by the late Vergil Holland, "From the Handler's Post". You might think in glancing at it that it's directed mainly at the sheepdog herding community, as it's loaded with invaluable information on how to maximize points at a sheepdog trial, how to salvage a run from heading south fast (we've all been there!), or how to train to avoid certain pitfalls. But then I realized that it might also represent a good read for anyone who casually spectates at sheepdog trials because they appreciate the beauty and the brilliance of these dogs. If you want a better understanding of what's happening at a sheepdog trial - you can't do better than by starting with this book!

Kudos to all who labored to make this book a reality. I haven't finished it yet, but I'm certainly enjoying it tremendously so far!

Don't worry if Amazon tells you it's back-ordered - they'll get more soon.

#2 Smalahundur

Smalahundur

• Registered Users
  • 1,798 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 06:28 PM

What? the late Vergil Holland? That is sad news. When did he pass away?

Edit, read the obituary on his web site, April 15th this year, sad news indeed.

"Milli manns og hests og hunds hangir leyniþráður"

#3 Root Beer

Root Beer

I'm east bound, just watch ol' Bandit run!

• Registered Users
  • 7,524 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:04 PM

I am very sorry to hear that (about his passing, not the book).  He bred my Speedy's father.

Kristine
And Dean Dog, Tessa, and the Bandit
In Memory:  Sammie, Speedy, and Maddie

Tessa's Training Blog - Our Training and Experiences in Musical Freestyle, Agility, and Rally FrEe

Tessa+Snooker.JPG

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.