BC Boards

Have I been pushing my BC too much with Frisbee?

Hi everyone, new here and would like some input regarding exercise with Frisbees and the effects it has on my BC's body since she is under 2 years old. I've been surfing the web about it and only then found out that it could strain her too much and potentially cause hip dysplasia and other related injuries in the future. I decided doing frisbee because it took her literally a few minutes to learn and she ended up loving it, and it is the only thing that tires her out. Its what she looks forward to everyday.

We started doing it when she was around 9-10 months old, which is why I'm now worried cause she was very young. We started out small, around 5 to 10 mins per session, once or twice a day, since I felt it was enough for her during that time.This was around late summer of 2013.

And then through winter, while not as frequent, we still did 5 to 10 mins when the weather allowed it. Maybe 3 to 4 times a week.

She is now 1 yr and 9 months and since summer started we have been doing frisbee nearly everyday, at around 10 to 15 min per session, up to 3 times per day.

This is a video of how it usually goes down (taken in march 2014). To me, it looks totally safe and fine...but this is the first time I've ever own a dog so I could be all kinds of wrong.

Its been snowless since around May, so she has been running a faster on dry ground, and the highest she's gotten off the ground it probably 1-2 feet (landing on her hind legs).

So with this info that I've posted, do you guys think I've been pushing her too much?

Should I cut it down and just go for substantially longer walks?

I would not be doing ANY throws that required her jump to catch them, or even enabled her the opportunity to jump. Any damage done by doing it earlier is done - I don't see any reason to compound that by encouraging her to jump now. She's close to two now, yeah, but spending a few months (3 or so) going back to low tosses for her isn't going to hurt her and *might* at least keep any additional damage from compiling.

I sometimes think that in some ways people overprotect and worry about this sort of thing - but the reality is, a border collie who is chasing an object isn't really CHOOSING to exercise the way a puppy running around the yard is. It's being encouraged pretty hard just by its psychology and drives, and they *don't* know when enough is enough and to stop. Has damage been done? I don't think you can know.

I'd still cut out the jumping until she's 2, cut back on the frisbee time (but not eliminate it) and I'd probably get x-rays done to confirm growth plate closure and the state of her hips and probably elbows before I resumed anything but low tosses for a few minutes a day.

Also, and this is not what you asked but I'm volunteering it anyway: Your goal when you exercise your dog is not to wear it out. Give her exercise, yes, but also work her brain and, especially, TEACH HER to be calm without being tired. Otherwise you're just building stamina and not teaching them to cope with being bored.

I would definitely cut back because 45 minutes of disc in one day is a lot. That being said, I wouldn't be really concerned about disc play for 10-15 minutes at 1 year 9 m/o. Most serious disc people I know start in on not high jumping, but a little bit of air at around a year, and they've had no problems with their now much older dogs. That being said, you might want to teach her a 'go around' command where she runs behind you before you throw it, one so that she can track it better, and two so she doesn't get a frisbee to the face if she miss times the catch. :)

I would not be doing ANY throws that required her jump to catch them, or even enabled her the opportunity to jump. Any damage done by doing it earlier is done - I don't see any reason to compound that by encouraging her to jump now. She's close to two now, yeah, but spending a few months (3 or so) going back to low tosses for her isn't going to hurt her and *might* at least keep any additional damage from compiling.

I sometimes think that in some ways people overprotect and worry about this sort of thing - but the reality is, a border collie who is chasing an object isn't really CHOOSING to exercise the way a puppy running around the yard is. It's being encouraged pretty hard just by its psychology and drives, and they *don't* know when enough is enough and to stop. Has damage been done? I don't think you can know.

I'd still cut out the jumping until she's 2, cut back on the frisbee time (but not eliminate it) and I'd probably get x-rays done to confirm growth plate closure and the state of her hips and probably elbows before I resumed anything but low tosses for a few minutes a day.

Also, and this is not what you asked but I'm volunteering it anyway: Your goal when you exercise your dog is not to wear it out. Give her exercise, yes, but also work her brain and, especially, TEACH HER to be calm without being tired. Otherwise you're just building stamina and not teaching them to cope with being bored.

Thank you for your reply. I will definitely cut it down, and probably schedule an xray sometime soon.

About her being calm, she is actually very calm, non-destructive, and she won't do anything unless initiated by me or someone else. Sure, she drops her toys in front of you for a game of catch, but if you don't do anything, she will just lie down.

I would definitely cut back because 45 minutes of disc in one day is a lot. That being said, I wouldn't be really concerned about disc play for 10-15 minutes at 1 year 9 m/o. Most serious disc people I know start in on not high jumping, but a little bit of air at around a year, and they've had no problems with their now much older dogs. That being said, you might want to teach her a 'go around' command where she runs behind you before you throw it, one so that she can track it better, and two so she doesn't get a frisbee to the face if she miss times the catch. :)

I will look for it on youtube and try to teach her. I've actually seen BCs on youtube that do super high trick jumps that are the same age as my girl, if not younger. :o

I wouldn't necessarily go for an x ray unless there's some problem- pain or something. Just no frisbee.

It is so hard not to play endless fetch with them at that age, because they're so energetic and they love it so much (heck, I love it too!) My friend's dog just turned two, and suddenly we don't have to worry.

If you're not already aware, border collies and other high drive dogs, (malinois, sled dogs, etc) will work through astonishing pain. My first bc, who passed in 2010, once ran her front paws to hamburger playing fetch with me. She was running on hard packed dirt, taking hard skids and turns. She never showed any problem until someone told me they saw blood on her legs.

The human has to have safety and sanity in her/his mind. No room for it in a border collie's brain when they're doing something they are driven to do!

Ruth and SuperGibbs

I've actually seen BCs on youtube that do super high trick jumps that are the same age as my girl, if not younger. :o

You can find all sorts of stupid (or ignorant) stuff on YouTube but that doesn't make it safe or wise to do. While there is good stuff out on YouTube, it shouldn't be a source of making decisions for you about your dog. Listen to people here or to a qualified trainer if you want good advice.

Here's hoping all will be well and she's experienced no significant damage. Good luck to you both!

Let's get this into perspective - if your dog was into agility it would usually have been training from the age of around 12 months and likely competing at 18 months.

Many, many thousands of dogs follow that pattern without proven ill effect.

My 16 in mongrel started training before the age of a year and spent several years of competition often jumping 30 in hurdles. But she trained for no more than an hour and a half in total each week and much of that in 5 min sessions. She is now 14 and has just had her hips and stifles checked and pronounced better than most at her age.

For most dogs it's not what they do but how repetitive it is. If you train agility several times a week for long periods you are more likely to damage your dog than if you do it a couple of times for relatively short periods. Even more likely if that is your dog's main off lead exercise.

I agree with simba that an X ray without reason is rather OTT. I never intend to breed and if my dog looks and behaves as if it is sound in whatever it is doing I will take it at face value until proved wrong, and I haven't been yet after 6 agility dogs.

I don't like Frisbee and have never played it with any of my dogs. I just don't like the way dogs are often encouraged to jump high and twist in the air risking an awkward landing, but that video looks OK to my.

Let's get this into perspective - if your dog was into agility it would usually have been training from the age of around 12 months and likely competing at 18 months.

My 16 in mongrel started training before the age of a year and spent several years of competition often jumping 30 in hurdles. But she trained for no more than an hour and a half in total each week and much of that in 5 min sessions. She is now 14 and has just had her hips and stifles checked and pronounced better than most at her age.

For most dogs it's not what they do but how repetitive it is. If you train agility several times a week for long periods you are more likely to damage your dog than if you do it a couple of times for relatively short periods. Even more likely if that is your dog's main off lead exercise.

+1, exactly.

I agree with samba that an X ray without reason is rather OTT. I never intend to breed and if my dog looks and behaves as if it is sound in whatever it is doing I will take it at face value until proved wrong, and I haven't been yet after 6 agility dogs.

I don't like Frisbee and have never played it with any of my dogs. I just don't like the way dogs are often encouraged to jump high and twist in the air risking an awkward landing, but that video looks OK to my.

Thanks for this :)

I do feel like she is sound in what she is doing when I watch her chase the frisbee. Not really jumping but more like hops, occasionally she'll do a tad longer jump but still not high. most of the time she only lifts her front legs to catch the frisbee. She's also i think a light dog at 35 lbs and her pedigree has no history of inherent hip dysplasia.