BC Boards

Border Collie Mix Pup

Hi everyone,

I am new here. This is my 10 week old pup Molly. I got her from a shelter. I do not think she is full border collie. What do you guys think she is mixed with? I am thinking perhaps Lab.

Any advice for a new puppy? This is my first puppy in 12 years. She is a handful!! I am going to get her enrolled in obedience classes ASAP. She is a bit rough with my old miniature poodle. She is also always barking at me! Other than that she is a good puppy and very smart.

Liz

post-15797-0-32046800-1388524329_thumb.jpg

post-15797-0-95655600-1388524333_thumb.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really, it's too soon to tell at this age, but I was thinking mebbe pittie or one of the thick bodied hound types. Maybe even boxer mix w/ the shortish snout.

So many shelters slap a "border collie mix" label on any black & white dog, I think because they're very adoptable at the moment.

You'll be able to get a better idea as she reaches maturity, both from her looks and behavior.

She's very adorable, though, whatever she is. :)

I really hope she is not a pittie---nothing against them but I know people who have had sweet pits who've suddenly had instinctual violent bursts---one of them even killed another dog, but that's a story for another day. I know people get mad about their reputation but I would just prefer not to have one, particularly with my aging miniature poodle. It is also impossible to get home insurance around here if you own one. She has webbed feet which is what made me think lab but the vet said her feet aren't anything unusual, even though they are almost fully webbed (?!). I actually would not be disappointed if she was NOT mostly border collie simply because their reputation almost scares me haha! (aka, I can't exercise my dog 4 hours a day). She has the border collie smarts though, within a few days of having her she was almost potty trained, and has learned sit, come, down, and roll over.

Do you know what breed mom was? It's possible the littermates had a Border Collie sire while her daddy was a hound. Litters with multiple sires happen all the time.

Crouching and stalking is a dog thing. Most breeds will do it to one degree or another.

I really don't know about webbed feet in breeds other than Labs and BCs, but all my dogs over the years have had webbed feet. One was a pointer x Lab, one a BC/spitz-type mix, one a lurcher (possible BC mix) and the rest have all been PB border collies. All their feet have been webbed, just like in your picture.

Normal, yes, but you should teach her to not do it. It's rude if done outside of mutual play.

No breeds in particular, she just looks like a "southern special," aka a mix of whatever local breeds people tend to keep such as hunting dogs (coon hounds, beagles, pointers, spaniels) and local farm dogs (cattle dogs, collies, aussies, etc).

Just now she was playing with me and she kind of play attacked my arm (yeah not good....I'm working on manners with her and starting puppy classes next week). My mom was like "OMG, she must be some breed of guard dog!".

One of the best ways to curb a puppy's play biting is to do just what her mother and litter mates would do. Yell "Ouch!" and stop playing immediately. When she calms down, you can begin some low key play again. his is how puppies learn bite inhibition in their litters. When things get too rough and someone gets hurt, they yell and the playing stops. They learn that biting means the end to play, and so learn to control themselves. ;)

She looks like a total cutie! :) Hard to say what her breeding is, though, at this stage.

I do agree about the loud OW and sharp withdrawal the instant she gets too bitey. That's puppy exuberance but she needs to learn the rules. :P

As for your old dog, please be extra diligent about protecting her. Do not let the pup pester or bother her, period. That should become a big fat no-no. You might consider getting a couple of those baby gates for the home, so that the old dog can have places where she is safe from the puppy's attempts at play. I'm a fan of baby gates for puppies, period! They're a great way to keep a youngster out of mischief.

Also, do you have a crate for her? The earlier she learns about a crate the better. Make it a safe, comfy place for her food and treats and naps, and you'll be glad for it in later life.

Last but not least - the instant something UNdesirable goes in a puppy's mouth, I remove it and stuff in something that's correct and good for them to chew. Our house shortly looks like we have a manic toddler with too many toys, but it's a good way to protect your furniture, carpets and feet from busy little teeth.

Best of luck with your little cutie. :)

~ Gloria

She doesn't have very much muzzle for a 10 week old border collie mix. She looks very lab x pitty type to me, we get them in the shelter all the time and many of them look just like her. I have a 10 week old pitty X GSD right now, looks like that too, except his ears are INSANE.

RDM

As I've said, I REALLY hope she's not a pittie :( I know someone who had a pit bull with no signs of agression, and one day it was left with a friend's dog alone and when they returned the friend's dog was torn to pieces. Like a crime scene. With my fragile 15 pound miniature poodle in the last years of her life, I cannot deal with that breed. I owe it to her to give her a peaceful and stress-free last few years.