BC Boards

Plumridge Border Collies?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Um, two breeds, active in AKC events, about a zillion dogs on the property, and collaborates with other breeders who have questionable breeding practices. This is not someone I would personally buy a puppy from.

I am interested in getting a puppy from her but like everything else I like to hear what other people have heard/delt with her and her dogs etc to make sure I'm getting what I expect.

I don't have one of her pups. But I have contacted her about one of her previous breedings and she was very helpful about what type of pups the sire had produced and knew his health history. LOL I couldn't get ahold of the sire owner and was looking for more info on him.

I am interested in getting a puppy from her

Can i ask you what interests you in getting a puppy from her? Have you met her in person? Do you like her website? Her dogs' lines? Or do you actually know her and have seen her dogs and like what you see in her dogs ... or ... ? What are you looking for in a pup and what is your ultimate goal with the pup?

In general, I would stay away from people with multiple breeds. It's hard to concentrate on the betterment of a specific breed if you also have another breed to contend with. Also, some of her dogs are OFA-Hips Fair and she is still breeding them, so while she has some concern over health testing, she shows little regard for the results.

Also: Many of her dogs are either sired by or from Rising Sun, which we've just had the long discussion about.

Like others have said... probably not the best place to get a pup. Weren't you moving to KY or something? Check with Vergil and Annmarie Holland, much better place to get a pup from: http://bctrainingcenter.com/

Or probably even better for your situation, get a rescue dog. Lots of nice ones out there.

I looked at the site, and yes, I know looks aren't everything, but darn, those are some ugly ugly bitches they are using! And boy do I mean ugly! One bitch looked cross eyed, the other I even question her breed.

I also read about who got the pups. They just seemed to be placing them where ever they could just to get rid of them. I didn't see too many (if any) said to be going to working homes.

I second the rescue, I swear it changed my life :rolleyes:

http://bordercollierescuetn.com/

[Edit by Moderator: link to Border Collie Rescue of Middle Tennessee removed]

http://www.tnbordercollierescue.com/

There are lots of dogs on there that need rescuing. And they are really cute to boot! I rescued and it's the best decision I ever made.

http://www.mwbcr.org/ <------there are people out there willing to help transport

http://bordercollierescuetn.com/

[Edit by Moderator: link to Border Collie Rescue of Middle Tennessee removed]

http://www.tnbordercollierescue.com/

There are lots of dogs on there that need rescuing. And they are really cute to boot! I rescued and it's the best decision I ever made.

http://www.mwbcr.org/ <------there are people out there willing to help transport

Border Collie Rescue of Middle TN is not a legitimate rescue. It is run by a puppy mill owner. One of the worst there is.

Definitely glad to see both East TN and West TN Border Collie Rescue recommended here, as I have had nothing but positive experiences with both those organizations. :rolleyes:

And really relieved to see books' catch on the sham rescue and Eileen's edit on that point...so my head didn't have to explode.

As other folks have already said, there are uncountable border collies in the mid-south (I can't remember if you are still in TN or have moved to KY) that need homes, but if you decide not to go the rescue route, I hope you are now recognizing that there are much better breeders from which to obtain a dog.

http://www.plumridgetc.com/index.htm

I am interested in getting a puppy from her but like everything else I like to hear what other people have heard/delt with her and her dogs etc to make sure I'm getting what I expect.

Hey Rayeanne!!

I don't really have time to read this list (I have never posted to this list till now), however someone did send me the link so ...

As I explained to you on the phone when you called me, I won't be having any pups with would meet your 'time frame or color' needs. You said you wanted a puppy in Dec. and I try not to have pups ready to go at the "Christmas" time of year. I have no interest in dealing with the numerous calls that are not appropriate homes around the holiday times.

Also please remember that since you are only 15 years old, that I will need to talk a great deal with your parents to make sure they are accepting of a BC into their home (and willing to sign my contract).

Even if you get the answers you hope to hear on this list (which it appears you won't), I am far from comfortable in placing a puppy with you. (I told you to continue to stay in touch and hopefully we can meet, and I too can get to know you... so I would feel comfortable in placing a pup with you.)

If anyone else would like to actually KNOW me and my thoughts on things... I will be happy to answer the phone and talk to you!!

Wendy

Plum Ridge

Look to resuce! One of the best things I ever did!

THIS IS A WONDERFUL IDEA!!

She can even follow a link right on my website to rescue !! I love to see people go get a dog from rescue. However I do believe she was looking to buy a dog intact (she told me she "might" want to breed).

I can count on one hand the number of border collie puppies on all my litters that have been sold intact. All those intact pups were sold to homes where they were going to be used on livestock (in one form or another). I would prefer my pups be sold on alter contracts, especially to those going to homes that are agility or non herding homes.

Wendy

PlumRidge

I don't have one of her pups. But I have contacted her about one of her previous breedings and she was very helpful about what type of pups the sire had produced and knew his health history. LOL I couldn't get ahold of the sire owner and was looking for more info on him.

My interest is in keeping the working ability in the dogs I own (and I retain pups from the litters I produce... I have NO interest in having a litter of pups JUST to sell puppies!)

I am willing to be honest and upfront about the dogs I have used for breeding. If people want to contact me directly and ask, please do!! I also try hard to hear how other dogs related to my dogs are doing (health and working wise) so I have as much knowledge as possible.

In general, I would stay away from people with multiple breeds. It's hard to concentrate on the betterment of a specific breed if you also have another breed to contend with. Also, some of her dogs are OFA-Hips Fair and she is still breeding them, so while she has some concern over health testing, she shows little regard for the results.

OFA Fair is still a passing rating. I also feel that one littermate that is OFA Fair when the rest of the litter (and background behind the dog) is OFA good or better is certainly worth considering. I know there is no 'sure thing'... I have seen two OFA excellents produce HD. I also know of dogs that failed OFA (and were still bred - not by me BTW) and their offspring have come back OFA excellent.

One of the my BC bitches that came back OFA - hips Fair. She arrived to me 'maybe bred" - not something I was happy to hear and found out AFTER she was shipped to me. I dealt with it, and carefully placed all the pups. The are all healthy and sound!!

(and BTW - the bitch who is OFA Fair is sired by a dog that not long ago was being discussed on this forum as being a great trial dog and a great producer Howard's male Spot who Joni Swanke owned had before that)

So far (Knock on wood) I have not produced a pup that has bad hips. I do guarantee my pups and so if that day comes, I will certainly stand behind the pup I produce.

Wendy

PlumRidge

Like others have said... probably not the best place to get a pup. Weren't you moving to KY or something? Check with Vergil and Annmarie Holland, much better place to get a pup from: http://bctrainingcenter.com/

Or probably even better for your situation, get a rescue dog. Lots of nice ones out there.

HEY Nicole!!

You were thinking the same thing I did. When this person contacted me, I suggested Vergil to her when we were talking on the phone!!

The person who started this thread does not own livestock, and was honest to say herding was not a priority for her. She told me she wanted a dog to do AKC (because that was what is in her area) agility, obedience etc.. and her first choice of a color was a merle...

She also indicated to me it was important to her to see health checks on the parents of her potential pup. I know of a few people that have bought pups from Vergil (very nice awesome pups too!)... but those pups did not come from parents who had OFAs. This may have changed, (as those pups I have seen are now older and running Open USBCHA) I do not know, I am sure if Rayeanne does contact Vergil he will answer those questions for her.

Wendy

PlumRidge

I am very happy with the two pups I have gotten from Wendy. Rime is just a pup so I don't know yet how he will work, however he gives every indication that he will work. Coal is doing well in his training, trialling, and ranch work, and the goal for him is to move to Open this fall or whenever we both are ready. Coal has gotten many compliments and I could have sold him many times over to several of the open handlers. He settles sheep well, is biddable and has beautiful natural moves around stock.

Both pups arrived in great health with all recommended health checks and paperwork. Wendy has been nothing but great to deal with and is a very supportive breeder. She is very choosy about where her pups go. I would suggest that anyone who is interested in any of Wendy's dogs speak with her directly by phone or email as she has offered.

I didn't look closely at the site the first time but 10 stud dogs and 17 bitches (and that's just the border collies!) says mill, mill, mill to me. And every color under the sun too--imagine that!

J.

Hey Julie!!

I don't know too many puppy mills that don't use their dogs very often. I have dogs that have never sired or whelped a litter (and are still fully health checked!).

My step father is a well known and very good agricultural economist, he just shakes his head when he hears how much I spend on health checks, training clinics, trials etc.. and then later down the road never ever breed the dog!!

I have a almost 11 year old male I paid to personally import in (which was expensive to do at the time due to the GBP exchange rate). He did come as an adult, and I have had a blast trialing him (he has won me some jackpots and cool prizes too along the way!!), but in the 6 years I have owned him, he has sired one litter of pups. Of those pups, only one (the girl I retained) is intact, and she has not been bred! I have had other people ask me why I haven't used him more... that they would buy a pup from him if I would "Just" use him again. But I didn't need another pup from him so I didn't take them up on thier offer.

One of the things that does please me about this wonderful breed, is that it comes in wonderful beautiful colors! HOWEVER please do NOT take my love of various colors of BCs to mean I would choose to breed for color over working ability. I have placed a number of very pretty not typical colored BCs (those "merles" for example) because their working style or work ethic was not good. It shouldn't matter what color a good working dog is... But you are correct BCs should not be bred sheerly because their color is 'pretty' so to speak.

Wendy

PlumRidge