BC Boards

So I got a taste tonite...

After many months thinking about it I finally took my first class tonite.

What a blast. Belle, who I have to admit has only been away from the house not

even a handful of times, did great. She handled everything really well and the instructor

seems to really like her.

Amazingly enough there were quite a few Aussies but we were the only Border!

I can't wait till next week! :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Welcome to the dark side of addiction! I am an admitted agility junkie, I go through withdraw during the off season, get the thrill rush of adreniline each and everytime I step to the startline. I absolutely adore this sport! Its raised my kids, taught my daughter to be graceful at winning and losing, my husband is devoted to working the scoretable all day and my son is in training as a scribe, timer and scoretable worker. We've been to 32 out of 50 states, seen the Grand Canyon, done Niagra, driven 5000mi in 13 days in a 31ft RV to compete. The people are wonderful, and where else can you have this much fun on a fine spring/summer/fall day (or in some cases not so fine)with your family, friends and best of all your dogs?

Hey Devi. No bother at all. It is in Plantersville with Donna Doubler? I am not sure on the last name. She comes with high recommendations and I really like her a lot.

If you would like the contact info let me know.

Awww, Plantersville is too far from me. Thanks a ton, though! I bet it's lots of fun! I'll have to wait until a class opens up here, but Wren and I have a lot of foundation work to do for now anyways...

I agree....little did I know what I was getting into when we signed up for our first class....

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, so now it has been a month and I am amazed at how fast Belle is catching on. Last time she had a bit of an issue going up and today she was hauling a.. and I almost tripped over my feet in a feeble attempt not to be left standing behind!!!!!

Maybe it was the new treats I cooked.... :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Another eventful night at the class. My little girl is a bit spooky about the teeter. So last time she was then not sure about the dogwalk again. Tonite she questioned it once after the teeter and then was awesome with it.

I am still having a ball and so is she.

I like to stay after class and watch the more advanced class. That way I get to watch their handling and it helps me a bunch. So when I get further along it will be much easier for me.

I also took some pics tonite with the new camera to practice a bit. So another fun night! :rolleyes:

Uncertainty on the teeter and the Dogwalk is pretty normal for a green dog so no real worries just take it slow, lots of treats and praise she will come around. Watching other handlers is a great idea specially if you are having difficulty incorporating a something into your handling abilities. Sometimes I just can't wrap my brain around an idea and its easier if I see someone else do it a time or two. Glad you two are having a blast!

I really like the trainer as she is not constantly nit picking and stressing. It is nice for once to have my own advice come back and just not worry about it. Like Pat said, lots of treats and praising and she is already getting better.

Should I make me a little teeter board?

Yeah, I am hooked! :rolleyes:

Oh, very cool!! :D I am very envious! :rolleyes:

We start Aengus on his required beginner's obedience next week for 6 weeks, then he will be allowed to take the beginner's agility class when he successfully completes that. I can't wait! :D

Have fun!!!

Yep G Festerling - I'd say you're hooked.

Echo the advice about taking the teeter steadily and getting the dog really comfortable with the tip = even if someone holds the end and just moves it gently while you treat the dog (had to do this with a dog in class the other day.)

You might also consider either having a different name for the DW and teeter, or do what I do - use 'walk' but add "steady" for the teeter (I'm a senior, so the fewer names I have to remember, the better - especially when I'm running and the brain is starved of oxygen. :rolleyes: )

One of the really cool things about agility is that you're alway learning and improving on handling skills.

• 1 month later...

Now more time has passed! We are still having a ball. I am already being outrun by my dog! Okay, so that is not so hard.... :D but it still amazes me how fast they learn. She is much better on the teeter. But does kind of think that the faster she crosses it, the better!

She loves the dogwalk, a frame and tunnels! Jumping I don't think even registers with her since she does that anyway. :rolleyes:

It was suggested to me to maybe try to compete in the tunnelers event coming up this weekend. I would love too but am not sure if it is not a bit soon. Not for her - for me! :D

Tassie, don't feel bad. I don't consider myself senior just yet and am having a hard time! Too much stuff to think about! :D

I am already being outrun by my dog!

Heheh! I so know that feeling. For a long time, the only crosses I did were rear crosses! We're getting better now - so I can figure out places to do front crosses - partly because Kirra understands the game a lot more, and is working with me. The good thing about all that is that your distance handling gets better really quickly. :rolleyes:

There's been quite a bit of stuff on TV here about how to stave off old age, Alzheimers etc. through mental exercise and physical exercise. What better way of doing that than doing agility with a Border Collie. :D

It's really good that your dog is happier on the teeter. Speed is good - as long as she's landing it - sometimes, too much speed can turn into a fly-off.

I've never had the chance to run tunnelers - noone has it down here on the island - in fact we probably don't have enough tunnels to make a course - but it always looks like a whole lot of fun.

• 3 weeks later...

So, it did not happen! My girl had other plans. :rolleyes:

Anyway, she is progressing well. Last lesson she took the teeter all by herself!!!! :D She had been way better about it anyway but now she seems to have decided that if it is in the way of her final destination, look out!

She scared the poo out of me when she hauled butt across the dogwalk with only 3 feet on it for the most part! Never slowed down. So needless to say, I am very proud of her.

The trainer introduced a kind of see through tunnel that all the dogs had fun with! It was a fun and session filled with laughter and amusement at the antics of the creatures.

I can see a huge difference in her attitude since we have started class. She has always been a good listener but is really getting more affectionate and bonded to me. Before, I was access to sheep and even that was only tolerated. Now she really looks to work with me instead of just for me. I love it!

Did I mention yet that this agility thing is addictive? :D

Oh and she is now almost 3. Always outside and very active as she is with me almost all day. But just now has she started to fill out and look like a real dog. The slim jim looking dog of old is no more! Ok, so her nose still is about as long as an anteaters in comparison with the rest of her body! :D

• 2 months later...

Well I had to look back a bit to find the original post. Figured I would just pick it up from there.

Wow, April 5th? Seems so long ago.

And now the terrible thing has happend....I signed up a second dog! :rolleyes:

Good thing that both run on the same night. Bad thing - mom is out of shape!

Belle is doing so good. Today, for the first time, I stepped back completly and let her handle the teeter! No help, ready to if I needed but really, I have not needed to help much for a long time now. And she did great. Slowed down on top, let it trip and went to her mark. Yeah...thats my girl!

I am now also having to step up my game as she is adding speed all by herself. She loves it. We had two makeup classes and one regular class this week....oh my...she barely could believe her luck!

And now the terrible thing has happend....I signed up a second dog! :rolleyes:

Of course you did :D - remember, we did say it was addictive.

Good thing that both run on the same night. Bad thing - mom is out of shape!

Join the gang - and my other excuse is that I'm a senior! But that's another of the great things about agility - it forces you to get in shape - or get smarter - or ideally, both. My girl does quite a bit of distance handling - which is good anyway.

Great that you and the dogs are having fun - that's the bottom line IMHO.

Barb, I feel like a senior this morning! :rolleyes:

My other girl is a GSD and she has suffered from not a whole lot of one on one time. Love yes but had to share with the others.

What I have found is that within 3 sessions, she has gone from acting a fool when I play with her, running around acting silly to beelining straight for the truck, begging to get in!

The confidence builder is such a huge aspect that anyone that does agility probably is aware off. I don't know how many times I have recommended agility now to people evn over ob if it is available. Not because I don't like ob, obviously it is absolutly crucial but it seems that in the agility you give them a reason for ob. Kind of like builiding it in while they are having a ball. Not sure if I am putting that right. I have also found the same to be true for frisbee. And a few other dog sports as well.

Anyway, both dogs and me are loving it and if I had more time and money.... :D