BC Boards

paradigm shift

Most of you know that I got Maid a few years ago. She is a wonderful dog that Scott Glen used to run and is one tough dog. Wee bit of a temper and hard to run. We have been struggling and got a DQ at the Finals, due to a ewe bolting, her temper and me flinging numerous commands at her...so I sat down and decided a major change was in order

I run her like Tess now. Like a sedan but with a high power engine, under the hood, just waiting to hit the gas. Calm, quiet, soft and whispering as she is close to me. Making her fill like she is Tess's replacement at home, on the couch, on the favored spot in bed in my arms, at my side at the sheep chores and first to play....she is my right hand, my soul mate.

the paradigm shifting had begun.....

she has gotten softer, more cuddling, more player, less jealous of Rain...

and further more, softer on the trial field.....yes, we still have our moments but they are a lot less now....in fact, after I did this paradigm shift, she won an open trial with 96 out of 100 points, then the next trial placed 5th. This weekend we did an AHBA ranch trial which was lots of pen work, sorting and tight quarters and she got 98 out of 100.

The dogs are not complex but we are. I made it harder for her when in reality, all I had to do was to let her be softer.....

sometimes I am a littler slow but she waited until I could see this and accept it.....

I love my Maid......

Great to hear, Diane!

I have found with both my dogs, who are worlds apart in personality and style, that calm and quiet is much more effective and much less stressful on both of us. Too bad I sometimes forget that when we are in action...

Dear Doggers,

Diane writes: "Making her fill like she is Tess's replacement at home, on the couch, on the favored spot in bed in my arms, at my side at the sheep chores and first to play....she is my right hand, my soul mate."

Like Diane, I feel that the sheepdog's home life affects how it works sheep. Perhaps because viewing the dog differently changes us as much as it changes the dog.

Good reason to build an outdoor kennel?

Donald McCaig

I have seen this several times with other dogs but it's not easy to teach us old "dogs" new tricks.

Wonderful that you were able to make the changes that you and she needed.

I have a dog right now that I think is the same way. Such a reflection on my emotions and how I come across to her.

Not all dogs really care.

Love reading about your dogs

I'm really pleased for you. Hope your new relationship with Maid continues to go from strength to strength

I think I've been given numerous bits of advice over the years... 2 of these which certainly seem to be supported by you altered approach with your dog are 'fight often creates fight' and ' if the method you are using doesn't work.. then try the opposite approach"

• 2 weeks later...

Maid and I went to a trial today....she was a real doll...a little pushy so had to be reminded of a steady....very biddable and soft...as we turned the post, your eyes met and we had that special moment. It was magic. The shed was in seconds and superb and she marched the unwilling lambs in the pen. They didn't want to pen at all but she made it easy. All I had to do was shut the gate. We tied for third but placed fourth based on the outwork. After the trial we sat around then I noticed she was gone...you get that sinking feeling....dog was next to your chair then gone......never mind, she was working the crowd for treats and got some popeye's chick from her GodMother Janet, then wandered to some new folks to have then fuss over her.....then I sat back in my chair and let her enjoy herself. Yep, she knew she did well and we had a good time. As we sat and watched more runs, I had numerous people come up and tell me how well that run went, how soft she was, how that we really teamed up...it sure was nice....yep, the new way has done magic.

I love how she is being my partner....at the shed, she held the ewe, then glanced at me as if to say, " I got it" so I backed up....and then as we went to the pen, I opened the gate and she put them in.....she was quite pleased with herself....and I know now, if out run goes bad, stop her, count to three so we both can relax then a command.....if I whip a command too quickly after the down, she gets excited....and me too! Did you see after her run, when she was taking her sheep out of the pen, her tail was up in the air and she was wagging it furiously!

I used her as a backup during a lesson today...as the student's dog was not covering the sheep, Maid looked up to me and gave a deep sigh.....she actually knows what to do and what is going on.......

for the longest time I thought for the rest of our career we would be fighting on the trial field.....but when we do disagree, it is me messing up...and her going fast to fix my error.....now as we go the post, we give each other a smile and "just know".....it's a wonderful feeling....

I am working on that feeling with the youngsters that I have coming up....it will happen.....

Yes, this!

I' so pleased for you.

IMO A true partnership with your dog built on mutual respect and trust is what we all aim for...when it happens, it's one of the best feelings in the world.