BC Boards

Hosting My First Trial

I've not been around the game for long, but it has definitely become an important part of my life. There are a bunch of sheepdog bucket list things I've already crossed off, and soon will be another: hosting my first trial!

The Crooked Oak Benefit SDT is a test-run of sorts. It will be held 0.25 miles from my house at a small historic farm that is owned by the State. The field isn't big, it's more of an arena course on steroids. Now is not a great time to be hosting a trial because of the unpredictability of hay season, but I've got some ideas to make this a fun and unique experience. And once I get one trial under my belt, my hope is to host future bigger events in the area :)

I've bought in fresh commercial lambs: Suffolks for the Open and Ranch classes, katahdins for the others. Now I am busy trailer-breaking them and just yesterday I took a group to the trial field to get used to the place. Note to self, when running ALL weaned lambs at a trial, this looks to be a good idea. They were definitely spooky at first and found a barn to hide in for much of the day.

Judge is hired, volunteers are lined up, running order is set. Score sheets and signs for the road and parking have been printed. Ribbons turned out very nicely, now impatiently waiting to see the hats. Collars for the marked shed are made. The local winery is having us for a tasting on Saturday evening where they will open a special room so we can watch The Belmont! Silent auction about ready, need to work on the food over the next couple days.

Field still needs cut, course built (pen needs picked up and Maltese cross needs assembled), and set-out rigged up. Those are my biggest headaches right now.

Everyone has said to keep it simple and don't get overwhelmed. Right now, I'm feeling excited! Guess we'll see how the week progresses.

Does anyone have input or advice as far as what to expect or what I may have overlooked? Above all else, our goal is to have fun :D

I so wished I was closer! It sounds like you are going to have a wonderful trial set up. Can't offer much in help or advice but wishing you a super time and am looking forward to seeing the results and pictures (there will be pictures right??? :ph34r: ) coming in!

Best of luck to you and the competitors.

Dear Emily,

Good on you!

Don't be afraid to ask for last minute help. You can't be everywhere and handlers are willing. Do choose an alternate course director so you can take a break. Take that break! Keep the trial moving briskly. It's surprising how few daylight hours there are divided by entries.

Good luck. Everybody is wishing you well.

Donald

Thanks! Gisela, there will definitely be photos!! And Donald, that's a great idea about having a course director. My dear friend Christine Koval is taking on that responsibility. If you feel like taking your new dog for a spin, come on down!

Sorry, I guess I didn't post it here. It is this coming weekend in Galax, VA. I can squeeze in a few more runs if anyone is interested!

You can find upcoming trials listed on the USBCHA website, a new site called HandlersPost.com, and also via the email list Sheepdog-L, for anyone interested.

I know it's going to go swimmingly well! It sounds like a ton of work to pull off, but a huge benefit to the community.

I so wish I could be there! Bad timing with younger son's high school graduation that very weekend - but after that I'll be out of kids and will happily be there for any future incarnations. Call on me for help as well in future years!!!

I know how busy you'll be, but I'm still hoping to see a description of how it all went here.

We'll miss you guys, Mark and Lynn!

A couple new hiccups: have to put up more woven wire than I estimated (too much 4-strand barbed wire for my comfort level); an unexpected hospitalization leaves me as the only doctor at work all week (including late nights and emergencies, and that all-important Friday afternoon that I had scheduled off); a few people are scratching at the last minute (dog injuries, changes in work schedules); katahdin lambs hid in chest high grass yesterday and it took Gabe and I forever to find them; Suffolks hate the trailer; allergies are rocking as we mow and weed whack; the puppy ate a sheep collar. On the other hand, I am still under-budget and family/friends serving as reinforcements will be trickling in throughout the week. Gosh I need to clean the house.

What a busy week! I have been totally overwhelmed at work, but the clinic is still standing and so am I. Thankful for more family and friends to arrive today for backup. They all have their assignments. At this point the feeling of being overwhelmed is starting to set in. Can't worry about things like the weather and how the sheep will behave; all I can promise is that there are areas to get out of the sun or rain and that the lambs are FRESH. Dogs have had all sorts of work this week which is not what you'd do to prepare for competition (Gabe won't lie down, no surprise there). I'm off to work now, trial prep during lunch break, and then back at it when I get home. Tonight I'm moving out into the camper because the house will be full of guests. Here we go!

You will want the best place to sleep for yourself. If this is your own bed, then make guests stay in your trailer; if it's your trailer stay there. In the end this should be fun for you too.

Thanks for putting on a trial; it's an effort to do so.

Good luck; have fun.