BC Boards

Mr & Mrs Dog: Thoughtful Review

Donald McCaig

Dear Readers,

Some years ago, I wrote a novel about my home town, Butte Montana. A letter to the editor

accused me of being a "communist sympathizer" and my mother responded asserting, in no uncertain terms, that I was no such thing and moreover was an upstanding fellow and who could know better!

Most book reviews -especially web reviews - are "Boo/Hurrah" and encourage taking sides instead of thinking. Ecollars/positive training/ Cesar Milan/ "scientific/modern methods" vs "outdated/cruel methods": you know the drill.

So I was grateful to Ms Lever for this long, thoughtful review of Mr. & Mrs. Dog. No, I don't agree with every point and think she's missed implications my mother would have admired but it's thoughtful and takes the points I raised seriously. I can't ask for more than that.

http://www.infopet.co.uk/pages/2037d.html

Donald McCaig

As I haven't read the book, I'm not prepared to say how good (accurate?) a review it is, but it has one thing going for it that many others don't - the reviewer appears to have read the book.

Her assessment is straightforward and well-written. Not once was I dismayed by its length. And it is long. But it is well worth reading as the reviewer clearly not only cares about the subject upon which she dilates, but she also appears to know something about it. A refreshing change.

Best of all, the review has strengthened my already considerable interest in reading the book myself. And that has to be a plus.