BC Boards

Hosting My First Trial

Woo hoo!!! I would have LOVED to have been there. As it was, no one would have wanted to have been near me - I picked up a killer respiratory infection and almost even missed younger son's high school graduation :(

Next time for sure!!!

Well I just had a nice post typed out for Sheepdog-L and accidentally deleted it before I was finished. Here is a brief recap since my computer-related patience is running out tonight!

The trial was a huge success and I have too many thank-you's to share here...but seriously, every single person there contributed to the trial by volunteering all sorts of much-appreciated help. It was just what a local trial should be: good people, good dogs, good sheep, and good fun. The weather cooperated well and we only had brief spells of heat and rain. The field was challenging and the lambs were fresh and honest. In all classes there were more letters than numbers. We had new people setting out, scribing, and even trialling! One first-timer came with his nice farm dogs on Sunday and even won his class! A couple local sheep producers and businesses stopped by to check us out and expressed interest in future trials. I think everyone had fun.

It was a lot of work, but I'm really happy that we did it. Definitely gives you a new perspective of a dog trial. I have always tried to make a point of thanking those who host and help out at trials, but I never realized what all they were doing to pull this off so the rest of us can come run our dogs!

We had about 50 runs each day. Took longer than I predicted, but things ran much smoother on Sunday and we were done at a very reasonable time.

I'm already making plans for a fall trial. Just need to decide which weekend :) Donald, I may take yours since you've moved to October. I worry about the heat in September, but the days are long and the sheep are out of breeding season. Lots to think about...what a fun learning experience this has been!

I am still waiting on the "real" photos from the trial, but here are some cell phone snaps:

14385114852_bc8be2daa8.jpg

A view of some of the grounds. This barn was the exhaust. The chute was part of the course on Saturday; a single sheep made it through. We didn't use it Sunday, and didn't do a marked shed due to the difficulty of getting *any* shed.

14215557218_0d12090037.jpg

Open scores Saturday. I ran my dogs SO BADLY all weekend! Gave wrong flanks, turned the post the wrong way, you name it. That last run was Livy and she was having a pretty good go until I caused her to grip off in the shedding ring. All I could do was laugh about my goofs; just too scatterbrained!

14401075794_441b6337c2.jpg

After Open and Ranch were through, we switched from Suffolk lambs to katahdin lambs for the lower classes. The Suffolks were turned out into this field, which made for retrieving them quite the task for my dogs. Gabe is behind them somewhere...

14215521769_f0bb6464aa.jpg

...and we had to make several trips to find them all. This was the type of work my dogs were doing throughout the week. Interesting challenge when the grass is up to your chest and you can't see your dog and the dog can't see the sheep.

14386506405_301b7f811f.jpg

Here Gabe and I are holding a group of katahdin lambs.

14387111155_2916eba9bf.jpg

Don cooling off in the shade at the setout with his Vic and my Gabe.

14215907477_6ed89fb539.jpg

Me and Liv with the judge, Dean Holcomb. I am still wearing a scrub top from running in to work that morning. Thankfully Christine stepped in to keep things organized while I was away!

14215907597_b009174cf8.jpg

Christine Koval captured a sweet moment between handler and dog.

14379051026_3228578cc7.jpg

Gratuitous ribbon photo: Lena's first ribbon! We managed 6th in PN Sunday despite my big-time oops at the pen that ate up a bunch of points. We didn't have any great runs in Nursery or PN, but she put in lots of key work behind the scenes and in that regard, had an excellent weekend. And check out the ribbon, it's Gabe! My trial, I get to put my dog on the ribbons :)

Thanks, it was fun! Elizabeth, I couldn't have done it without the help of so many friends and family members!

I sent out thank you notes today to those who ran in the trial, just to reiterate how much I appreciated everyone's support.

And I was pleasantly surprised to find a thank you note in my mailbox today addressed to ME from a handler I greatly respect. Good people in this sport :)