What is a Border Collie

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Pam Wolf

Pam Wolf

• Registered Users
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:35 PM

OK, open question: Just what is a Border Collie?

Along the way it seems I have become a shepherd rather than a sheepdogger

#2 NCStarkey

NCStarkey

Just a few shovelfuls short of a full load

• Registered Users
  • 703 posts
  • Interests:Border Collies, Sheepdog Trials, and Bluefaced Leicester sheep

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:24 PM

Hello everyone,

I feel that a Border Collie is a dog that has been developed over the past couple of centuries to be the premier sheepdog in the world (and more recently, an all around stockdog), one which happily works in partnership with man, but can also do its job using its own initiative and intelligence.

Regards to all,
nancy

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Author Unknown

Nancy Cox Starkey
Trial & Error Acres
Mt. Airy, Maryland
NCStarkey@aol.com
www.TrialandErrorAcres.com
www.TrialandErrorAcres.blogspot.com

#3 SS Cressa

SS Cressa

• Registered Users
  • 1,081 posts
  • Interests:Dog agility, trick training, hiking, biking, camping, herding

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:16 AM

What is a border collie? A border collie to me is an athletic speedy dog with the drive, brains, and smarts to back it up. They are a quirky breed that tend to obsess. They are pressure sensitive and people smart. A very diverse breed that excels at almost everything.

Stella S.

(5H)MACH 2 Cresent Moon MXF, 2011 PGP Nat' CH (Handle by Denise Thomas), 2011 Speed Jumpers 5th placed finalist (Handle by Denise Thomas). ~Thanks to Denise Thomas for handling Cressa so well at agility nationals and when I wasn't able to.

5H Hunter Moon

#4 Mark Billadeau

Mark Billadeau

Bill Nye Wannabe

• Registered Users
  • 3,159 posts
  • Interests:science, working dogs, sheep

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:26 AM

All breeds are defined by the breeding goals used by the majority of breeders.

To win contests of appearance.
To win at games/sports.
To be a helping hand/working partner.
etc.

My definition of a Border Collie is the same as Nancy's.

Support the ABCA Health & Education Foundation by using Amazon Smile

#5 Maralynn

Maralynn

• Registered Users
  • 5,483 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:55 AM

I really like Nancy's definition.

I also find it fascinating that the premier sheepdog can take it's working ability and excel at other jobs and activities. It's an interesting conundrum that only by breeding a dog with a single purpose in mind can you create a dog that is so diverse in it's abilities

Mara
Kenzi & Kolt

Kipp, my little dude 2004-2014
Missy, my good girl 1999-2011

K9 Knitter blog

#6 WildFlower

WildFlower

Sheep dog handler in training.

• Registered Users
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:39 AM

I really like Nancy's definition.

I also find it fascinating that the premier sheepdog can take it's working ability and excel at other jobs and activities. It's an interesting conundrum that only by breeding a dog with a single purpose in mind can you create a dog that is so diverse in it's abilities

I also like Nancy's definition.

And you bring up a really good point Maralynn. A point that I debate with my "dog sport" friend quite often.

Vicki

Border Collies: Devon, Teak, Jess, & Gus
Kitties: Merry Cat & Mr. Magoo

Chickens and Sheep

Forever in my heart: Daisy 3/6/2008 - 12/20/2015

"Live the life you love. Love the life you live."

#7 Gloria Atwater

Gloria Atwater

Talksalot

• Registered Users
  • 2,620 posts
  • Interests:Sheepdogging!

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:28 PM

Hello everyone,

I feel that a Border Collie is a dog that has been developed over the past couple of centuries to be the premier sheepdog in the world (and more recently, an all around stockdog), one which happily works in partnership with man, but can also do its job using its own initiative and intelligence.

Regards to all,
nancy

I think that's a very good thumbnail description!

One could be pedantic and add notes about physical traits, but those vary so widely it would make pretty bewildering reading! ;)

"They are rough coat, except when they're smooth. They have tipped ears, except when they have pointed, or one up/done down, or else floppy like beagles. They move in a creeping, crouching style, except when they are more upright. They have lots of eye, except when they don't. They have medium bone, except when they are refined or big-boned. They are 35-45 pounds, except when they are 30 or 60. They are black and white, except when they're red or brown or tri or merle or ... " :)

~ Gloria
You ask of my companions. Hills, sir, and the sundown, and a dog as large as myself that my father bought me. They are better than human beings, because they know but do not tell. ~ Emily Dickinson

To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring - it was peace. ~ Milan Kundera

#8 Smalahundur

Smalahundur

• Registered Users
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:31 PM

"They are rough coat, except when they're smooth. They have tipped ears, except when they have pointed, or one up/done down, or else floppy like beagles. They move in a creeping, crouching style, except when they are more upright. They have lots of eye, except when they don't. They have medium bone, except when they are refined or big-boned. They are 35-45 pounds, except when they are 30 or 60. They are black and white, except when they're red or brown or tri or merle or ... " :)

I like your description :D

"Milli manns og hests og hunds hangir leyniþráður"

#9 kajarrel

kajarrel

• Registered Users
  • 1,180 posts
  • Interests:Many.

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:17 PM

While I like Nancy's definition, I think that it's not the past that defines the breed but the present. Border collies are the premier sheepdog. If you look at the variety of situations in which they work (range sheep, small farms, dairy farms, cattle, hills in GB) it's not surprising that they are versatile - they are versatile in their bred-for work too.

Kim

#10 Gloria Atwater

Gloria Atwater

Talksalot

• Registered Users
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:49 PM

While I like Nancy's definition, I think that it's not the past that defines the breed but the present. Border collies are the premier sheepdog. If you look at the variety of situations in which they work (range sheep, small farms, dairy farms, cattle, hills in GB) it's not surprising that they are versatile - they are versatile in their bred-for work too.

Kim

I kind of presumed that's what she meant. ;) She referenced the past but spoke in the present tense. So, I can just add your definition to hers! :)
Cheers ~

Gloria
You ask of my companions. Hills, sir, and the sundown, and a dog as large as myself that my father bought me. They are better than human beings, because they know but do not tell. ~ Emily Dickinson

To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring - it was peace. ~ Milan Kundera

#11 kajarrel

kajarrel

• Registered Users
  • 1,180 posts
  • Interests:Many.

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:30 PM

Hi Gloria,

My sensitivity relates to the people who argue that border collies either don't do/aren't needed for their traditional roles and, then, it follows that their years of breeding are what matters in making a border collie a border collie. I know this isn't what Nancy meant, but none of us are people who believe that working border collies aren't needed.

Kim

ETA: this sounds uptight - sorry, I'm not really an uptight person :-)

#12 Gloria Atwater

Gloria Atwater

Talksalot

• Registered Users
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:01 AM

Hi Gloria,

My sensitivity relates to the people who argue that border collies either don't do/aren't needed for their traditional roles and, then, it follows that their years of breeding are what matters in making a border collie a border collie. I know this isn't what Nancy meant, but none of us are people who believe that working border collies aren't needed.

Kim

ETA: this sounds uptight - sorry, I'm not really an uptight person :-)

Hi Kim!

You don't sound uptight to me, at all. You sound like someone who loves and respects the breed, both who he was and who he should still be. I'm good with that. :)
Cheers ~

Gloria

#13 Pam Wolf

Pam Wolf

• Registered Users
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:01 PM

OK, I guess now I ask, HOW does a Border Collie work? this is open to all commers.

Along the way it seems I have become a shepherd rather than a sheepdogger

#14 alligande

alligande

• Registered Users
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:02 PM

I think that's a very good thumbnail description!

One could be pedantic and add notes about physical traits, but those vary so widely it would make pretty bewildering reading! ;)

~ Gloria

I love this addendum... a perfect description of their physical characteristics, now if I could only memorize it for when people wonder if my dogs are Border Collies.....

#15 Tea

Tea

• Registered Users
  • 1,517 posts
  • Interests:Wildlife, horses, sheep farming, sled dogs, falconry

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:02 PM

How do they work?

For Gunny and Cap
------------------------

Everyday in heavy rain
or
snow that stings the eyes in a wind so thin you could feel its edge with your thumb.
they work
in the midday heat of a dusty summer framed by memories of a hundred
sheep
they work
in the mud of trails that clings to boots and hooves and tired, swift paws.
they work

Before they are fed

In the middle of a stormy night

they work

they work

a calm strong presence before a curious calf with mother standing behind with lifted ears, thinking.

they work

behind the eyes of a new hill mother with day old triplets

they work

to catch sheep for me to shear

and lay and wait while the blades part this year from last.

They work

Until....one day

Creation takes them back from us......

And lonely we watch the fields

Where

They worked.

#16 Journey

Journey

Happiness is not having what you want but wanting what you have.

• Registered Users
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:55 PM

Thank you Tea.
Karen & the growing pack of spoiled mutts!
Posted Image

#17 geonni banner

geonni banner

blabbermouth

• Registered Users
  • 3,737 posts
  • Interests:Photography, dog training, samurai movies, anime, illustration

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:56 PM

I'd think that about covers it...

Well said, Tea.

What would Rainbow Dash do?

My blog is atpeacewithpink dot blogspot dot com

With%2Bthe%2BBarbados.jpg

#18 Debbie Meier

Debbie Meier

• Registered Users
  • 2,628 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much all stockdogs...for now

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:59 PM

OK, I guess now I ask, HOW does a Border Collie work? this is open to all commers.

Depends on how much vision the trainer/handler has.
Posted Image

http://leaningtreebcs.blogspot.com/

"Every poor one you continue to work with equates to a good one that you never get the opportunity to own"- M. Christopher

#19 Sue R

Sue R

Bark less, wag more

• Registered Users
  • 12,811 posts
  • Interests:Stockdogs, horses, chocolate

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:14 PM

Thanks, Tea, lovely as always!
Sue Rayburn - Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult, but not the brightest firefly in the jar.

Celt, Megan, and Dan

"When the chips are down, watch where you step."

"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything." - author unknown

#20 Gloria Atwater

Gloria Atwater

Talksalot

• Registered Users
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:53 AM

Doggonnit, Tea! Some day I'm gonna bill you for all the kleenex you make me use up.

Beautifully said, as ever. I don't have a thing to add. Thank you. :)

~ Gloria

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.