Aggressive behavior

4 replies to this topic

#1 Willow5640

Willow5640

• Registered Users
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:25 AM

Hi everyone

I signed up about four years ago when I got my Willow. Best damn dog I ever had. I guess you can call me a Collie convert. Before her I've only had a late childhood cocker, Shadow. That dumb dog was dumb as rocks by comparison, but I miss her still and always will.

In the beginning, before I got willow, I found this site very helpful. I had decided I wanted to raise a dog properly, and OBEDIENTLY. Naturally, I had many questions and needed much advise. This community helped me train an amazing dog with one small niggle that grew from slight to somewhat aggressive, to sometimes OMG levels.

I did try searching, and I hope my plea for advise is in the right discussion tab, but the word aggressive brought no results.

Willow is indeed leash trained but lives primarily off leash as I feel a dog should.
On walks into the city the leash is employed, though not always. She is quite good under voice control.
If only city park rangers would appreciate this.
But I digress...
When a dog comes up, Willow leashed or otherwise, doesn't necessarily act aggressive. Her tail is wagging and generally acts inquisitively. In fact often Willow is eager to greet the other dog, leash pulling towards them if we're, say, inside the brewery with other dogs.
What happens next it seems to me is mostly up the exterior dogs personality. If that dogs energy is low there are generally no problems. Very little nipping if any and certainly no lunge bites.
Yes I said aggressive lunge biting.
If the other dogs energy is high, and that includes harmless puppies that are generally little harmless energy fur balls, the teeth come out. Lips curl plenty and sometimes she chases off the dog usually clamping on a chunk of dog fur before sending them off whimpering if I'm lucky. Something a bit more serious on either side if I'm not.

Before you say it I took her to obedience classes as a puppy. Tons of exposure of all kinds, including plenty of time at dog parks when she was growing up.
Willow is now four and a half years old, and suffice it to say, we gave up on dog parks a while back.
I'd give anything to have a dog that plays with other dogs in a dog park but I could no longer risk having a dog get hurt--or being sued for that matter.
I just wish Willow was more manageable around other dogs. I really like breweries that allow dogs if I'm honest, they're my happy places.
Now I knew collies were generally a nippy breed, and as I pup I made sure to curb her trying to nip and heard me, but this is ridiculous.
I could really use some expertise here.
Maybe I'll try to take a vid or something next time we go out too.

#2 Smalahundur

Smalahundur

• Registered Users
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:39 AM

Welcome to the forum. This section of the boards is meant exclusively for questions directly relating to stockwork.
I would advice you to copy/ paste your question to the "general bordercollie discussion".

"Milli manns og hests og hunds hangir leyniþráður"

#3 teresaserrano

teresaserrano

• Registered Users
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, literature, nature

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:41 AM

Tess is the same age as your dog and behaves exactly the same. She is extensively socialized, goes with me to loads of diferent places, gets lots of physical and mental exercise, trains advanced obedience and some dog sports.

There's dogs she loves and plays beautifully with, dogs she likes more and more as she gets to know them, dogs she ignores, dogs she atacks. She has never made another dog bleed, but she sure sounds like she wants to kill them when she puts her heart to it. She hates pushy in-your-face dogs that want to be friends no matter what. She generaly dislikes goldens, labs and pits for their over friendliness. She's awfull with small dogs and pupies. She's even worse with nervous scaredy dogs, she wants to flatten them to the ground. On the other hand, she loves free roaming dogs, maybe because they have tons of experience in learning other dogs and read her signals well.

Many borders are like my dog and your dog. Many aren't, and never will be, dog park material. I know I would never take Tess to a dog park. And yet, rare is the day she doesn't play with a dog. But I know her well and only allow interactions that I know she will apreciate.

Your dog doesn't really sound liike an agressive dog (although it's hard to impossible to form a valid opinion from a few lines of description). But he sounds like a fairly normal dog selective border. That's how many of them are.

I don't think of my dog as agressive or as having a problem. That's just who she is. I simply control her environment. Other dogs don't just get in her face, because I don't allow it. And she doesn't get to go to other dogs off leash, unless she knows and likes them or shows she's happy and comfortable with them (she's pretty easy to read, first 3 seconds near a new dog and I know exactly what she thinks of him).

Would I like to have a dog that is comfortable with all other dogs? Yep. But I don't. And thinking of her as a perfectly normal dog that has some quirks really helps. Because not all dogs are the same. And she has so many astounding qualities, it doesn't really matter in the long run.

She's the same with people, she loves many but hates it when a complete stranger looms over her, arms outstretched, wanting to pet her. She has shown teeth and growled. And she has the right not to love unwanted aproaches, so I just don't allow strangers to pet her, unless she says it's okay. And 30 seconds of me talking to a stranger makes hiim a friend in her eyes, so not a problem.

It's easier and fairer to work with the dog we have than to keep wanting it to be something else. Not saying that corrections aren't needed sometimes, and most of all, that training isn't needed. But at the end of the day, all dogs are diferent and have a right to that diference.

Teresa Serrano

#4 Willow5640

Willow5640

• Registered Users
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 03:17 AM

Welcome to the forum. This section of the boards is meant exclusively for questions directly relating to stockwork.
I would advice you to copy/ paste your question to the "general bordercollie discussion".

Of course and thank you

#5 Willow5640

Willow5640

• Registered Users
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 03:25 AM

Tess is the same age as your dog and behaves exactly the same. She is extensively socialized, goes with me to loads of diferent places, gets lots of physical and mental exercise, trains advanced obedience and some dog sports.

There's dogs she loves and plays beautifully with, dogs she likes more and more as she gets to know them, dogs she ignores, dogs she atacks. She has never made another dog bleed, but she sure sounds like she wants to kill them when she puts her heart to it. She hates pushy in-your-face dogs that want to be friends no matter what. She generaly dislikes goldens, labs and pits for their over friendliness. She's awfull with small dogs and pupies. She's even worse with nervous scaredy dogs, she wants to flatten them to the ground. On the other hand, she loves free roaming dogs, maybe because they have tons of experience in learning other dogs and read her signals well.

Many borders are like my dog and your dog. Many aren't, and never will be, dog park material. I know I would never take Tess to a dog park. And yet, rare is the day she doesn't play with a dog. But I know her well and only allow interactions that I know she will apreciate.

Your dog doesn't really sound liike an agressive dog (although it's hard to impossible to form a valid opinion from a few lines of description). But he sounds like a fairly normal dog selective border. That's how many of them are.

I don't think of my dog as agressive or as having a problem. That's just who she is. I simply control her environment. Other dogs don't just get in her face, because I don't allow it. And she doesn't get to go to other dogs off leash, unless she knows and likes them or shows she's happy and comfortable with them (she's pretty easy to read, first 3 seconds near a new dog and I know exactly what she thinks of him).

Would I like to have a dog that is comfortable with all other dogs? Yep. But I don't. And thinking of her as a perfectly normal dog that has some quirks really helps. Because not all dogs are the same. And she has so many astounding qualities, it doesn't really matter in the long run.

She's the same with people, she loves many but hates it when a complete stranger looms over her, arms outstretched, wanting to pet her. She has shown teeth and growled. And she has the right not to love unwanted aproaches, so I just don't allow strangers to pet her, unless she says it's okay. And 30 seconds of me talking to a stranger makes hiim a friend in her eyes, so not a problem.

It's easier and fairer to work with the dog we have than to keep wanting it to be something else. Not saying that corrections aren't needed sometimes, and most of all, that training isn't needed. But at the end of the day, all dogs are diferent and have a right to that diference.

Thank you Teresa and I agree
She is who she is and I love her for it. I'm just curious to see if there is something I could be doing to slowly nudge her temperament in a different direction. Honestly I've already half resigned myself to having a dog who just doesn't know how to play with her own species.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.