BC Boards

Am i doing lucy lou a disservice

Originally posted by baby bc lover:

i am afraid that my dh and i will cross the rainbow bridge before lucy, and i don't know what will become of her.

Make out a will and have a section in it for her just like parents do for their children. Have this person over to interact with her while your alive so that she is already comfortable with them.

Mark

You may find some info here: link

I have a codicil to my will and trust that leaved Fergie to my daughter and family, along with the money to care for her. I made sure the other kids agreed.

And I'm sure that planning for my demise helps ensure my longevity. As Soames Forsye says in The Forsyte Saga, It's what you don't plan for that happens. So our family correlary is that what you do plan for doesn't happen. Worked so far with hurricanes and ice storms.

Borderbob II inherited his father's pack of dogs and has begun a new and interesting chapter in his life. Look back over the posts for the past several months and read his progress.

Think about your friends or family who enjoy Lucy and approach them about taking her in the event that something happens to you or your husband. I like Nancy's idea of setting aside some money for her care.

I agree with all of the above. If you can not afford to set money aside right now, Im sure family, or dog lover friends understand that. If someone in my family died leaving their animals I'd snatch them up in a heartbeat. Not only do you get the love of animals, but the joy of knowing that you are fulfilling one of the last desires of that loved one.

a will great idea! although i have very little money to leave, i do have a house and a large yard where lucy has lived all her life. I could leave this to my daughter who has no home of her own and who loves dogs as much as i do.

many many thanks for aproblem solved.

Our vet has agreed to take care of Annie if DW and I go on before her (at which point I will be the one wating at Rainbow Bridge). The vet has a farm, and Annie is already friends with the vet's ACD. In return, we have made a provision for the vet in our will; she will also ensure that Annie's ashes are buried with me when her time comes.

As I don't have family willing to take on pets, my vet has agreed to place my pets. The bc's will stay with her for life (she has bc's too). The other dogs and cats she will either keep or place in good homes. If the pets are too old or infirm to place - such as my 18 yo cat, she will help them meet me at the Bridge. I, too, have made provisions in my Will for their financial care. I know I can trust my vet to find good homes for the non-bc's as she has placed 4 animals with me over the last 20 yrs - 2 of them after their original owners died.

I know my best friend would take my dog if DH and I died. (Im only 27 and he's 25 so hopefully this will never be an issue) Unfortunately I dont think my cat could ever go to anyone else. He hates everyone. He attacks, is unloving, and a general jerk ... :rolleyes:

Update: my friend said she'd take Rohan too. :D:D Ahhhh.. knowing my family will be safe.