BC Boards

Had my dog shaved and now her hair won't grow back on her back side???

Hello, I have a border Collie that is a little over 1 year old. We had her shaved when she was in may 2004 and she was born april 2003. She didn't have a problem before we took her in to get shaved, she had all her hair, but now she is missing huge spots on her back and i am wondering why it hasn't come in??? It is the same size as it was when she was cut and it now looks like it is dead, but it doesn't just fall out, what is going on???

:confused:

The guard hairs are the longer hairs, and they do not usually shed and replace much. It may take a very long time to get the longer hairs growing back in the areas where they are predominant, like along the back. This is not a good area to clip short for that reason, and they need the guard hairs on top to protect from the sun (and rain).

Just wondering. Why do you get 2 border collies shaved? We live in North Carolina and don't even consider getting Fergie shaved because we know that her fur actually helps insulate her against the heat here. I have thought of making a white sort of cape (Super Dog) for her when we walk mid-day because her back is black.